52

LETHOKUHLE

I was packing our clothes since we were going to Lizwi's home for a welcome party he is throwing for his sister. His sister is coming back from rehab tomorrow so I will finally meet her. We will also be spending the holidays there, we will come back right after the New Year's holiday.

Lizwi: "Lwande said he will drop the kids before we leave." I nod.

Lizwi: "Baby?" I ignore him and continue with what i'm doing. He sighs.

Lizwi: "Baby, I am really sorry. It wasn't my intention, please forgive me. I know you just graduated and you wanted to work, I promise you that I will break my back trying to find a hospital where you can do your internship." I wipe my tears.

Me: "I'm not blaming you Lizwi, it takes two to make a baby anyway." I shrug.

Lizwi: "But I was the one who pressured you into it right? I didn't let you wait like we should have." I just wail, he pulls me to him and presses me on his chest.

Lizwi: "I'm sorry MaMajola wami." he brushes my back softly. He walks to the bed and gently lays me down then hovers over me. He plants kisses all over my face until I giggle.

Me: "Fine! Leave me phela."

Lizwi: "I love you so much." he kisses my neck then gets off the bed.

Lizwi: "I will put the bags in the car." I nod. I fix myself then gently take my sleeping beauty and walk downstairs. I find dad sitting in the lounge

Dad: "Lethokuhle."

Me: "Yebo?"

Dad: "I'm sure you know why i'm here." I scoff.

Me: "And I think I told you what would happen if you keep shoving that woman down my throat."

Dad: "You wouldn't do that. She is your mother Lethokuhle!"

Me: "Ngikuzwa ngawe lokho."

Dad: "YeLetho! Just because ushadile, it doesn't mean you old enough to speak to me anyhow."

Me: "You are the one forcing me to speak anyhow with you. You both failed me and I accepted that and made peace with it now you want to force your way into my life?! ANGIFUNI."

Dad: "I understand that but she was young, naive babygirl."

Me: "I was also young and naive when I had Sqalo but I didn't leave him with my grandparents and abandoned him!"

Dad: "You did! All those times you went to school! You weren't there for him, here you are even now busy taking care of other men's kids and neglecting your own child! You just shove him in our houses while you go out partying and chasing men, you just lucky this one decided to marry you!" I chuckle in disbelief.

Me: "I'm sorry that I became a bother to you Skhumbuzo. I will make sure that I pay every single cent you spent on me and Sqalo. I seriously didn't mean to be a burden and a nuisance. Plus what do I know about parenting, you the father of the year after all with your soccer team. I'm sorry once again."

Dad: "I am not saying pay me back mntanam. I'm just trying to make you see reason."

Me: "This is not the first time you mention how much of a bad mother I am Skhumbuzo. I really don't know what do you think I should do ukuze kuneliseke wena futhi nalapho nje angeke ungtshele ukuthi ngikhulise kanjan izingane zami. The woman you keep trying to force on me wasn't there for when I was growing. She was never there to set an example of how a mother should be like or act like Skhumbuzo. Forgive me if I'm not the ideal daughter you ever wished for. You might think I'm a bad mom but i'm always there for my child, not only physically but emotionally too so please spare me the perfect parent role when you yourself don't even have a good record at parenting so ungazenzi ngcono ngami."

Dad: "Angizwanga?!"

Me: "Please leave my house, I won't ever bother you nor will my kids ever bother you. As soon as I pay you back, forget about me just like you did those years ago."

Lizwi: "I will pay you your money by tomorrow, just send me the total amount."

Dad: "Lethokuhle, I just want you to listen to Ayanda!" I ignore him and walk out to the kitchen so I can feed my baby.

Lizwi comes in as I feed his baby, he kisses our foreheads then pulls me for a hug.

Lizwi: "Don't let him get to you."

Me: "Thank you for always standing up for me baby." I kiss his lips.

Lizwi: "That is my job as your husband."