Chapter 40: The Third's Arrangement

Soon, the afternoon arrived.

Guided by an ANBU ninja, Yu reached the entrance of the Hokage's office.

"Come in," a steady voice called from inside.

"Lord Hokage, Yu is here," the ANBU ninja announced, bowing before stepping aside.

Seated behind his desk, the Third Hokage greeted Yu with a warm smile. "Yu, you've arrived."

"Yes, Lord Hokage," Yu replied respectfully, taking in the grandeur of the Hokage's office. He noticed that Shisui was also present.

"Shisui," the Third Hokage addressed him, "please go back for now. I need to speak with Yu privately."

Acknowledging the order, Shisui left the office with a reminder. "Don't forget to report to the ANBU tomorrow."

"Yes, Lord Hokage. I'll take my leave," Shisui responded, offering a bow before exiting. As he passed by Yu, his gaze held a meaningful glance.

ANBU... It seemed that Shisui had indeed been assigned to the ANBU, Yu thought as he watched him depart.

"I wonder why Lord Hokage called me here today," Yu mused aloud.

With Shisui out of the room, it was just Yu and the Third Hokage left.

While Yu felt the Third Hokage's gaze on him, he, too, examined the venerable leader of the village.

Unlike the graduation ceremony the day before, today the Third Hokage wore an old-fashioned shinobi armor, befitting the wartime circumstances. Although he was only fifty-four years old, his hair had turned white, making him appear much older than his contemporaries.

Apart from his occasional displays of immense presence and the occasional gleam in his hazy eyes, the Third Hokage seemed like a kindly elder statesman.

"I apologize if I made you uncomfortable," the Third Hokage said, recognizing Yu's unease. He picked up a smoking pipe from his desk and offered a gentle smile. "Seeing a talented young ninja like you emerge from our village fills me with pride."

"Lord Hokage, may I inquire as to the reason you summoned me today?" Yu asked.

The Third Hokage continued, "I have a proposition for you. Would you be willing to accept a mission from the Hokage and join the Konoha Medical Corps?"

"The Medical Corps?" Yu replied with surprise.

He had assumed that, like Shisui, he would be assigned to the ANBU under the direct command of the Hokage. It was unexpected to hear the Third Hokage suggest placement in the Konoha Medical Corps.

"I've taken the liberty of reviewing your records," the Third Hokage explained. "You were adopted by the former head of the Medical Corps, Yakushi Nono."

Yu's initial astonishment faded as he understood the reasoning behind the offer. The Konoha Medical Corps was currently stretched thin due to the ongoing war. Every day, a steady stream of injured frontline shinobi required medical attention.

"Your extraordinary medical ninjutsu skills could be a tremendous asset to our medical team," the Third Hokage elaborated. "So, what do you say?"

"I accept," Yu replied without hesitation.

The prospect of being assigned to a specific department was of little concern to him; he believed that focusing on honing his abilities was the key.

Furthermore, the current Third Great Ninja War was at its most intense stage. Konoha had recently faced off against Sunagakure and been ambushed by Iwagakure's forces. Kirigakure's ninja were also showing signs of aggression, looking for opportunities to join the conflict.

As Yu, who had often treated injured Konoha shinobi for rewards, was well aware, there was a severe shortage of medical ninjas in Konoha. His exceptional medical ninjutsu skills, coupled with the Third Hokage's desire to have him join the Konoha Medical Corps, made perfect sense.

"Good," the Third Hokage said, clearly pleased with Yu's quick response. His gaze softened even further. "In addition to your medical ninjutsu, I also know of your remarkable talent in ninjutsu and combat."

Pausing for a moment, the Third Hokage continued, "To compensate for your potential shortcomings in ninjutsu training after joining the Medical Corps, I'm making all the scrolls in this office available to you. Furthermore, if you ever wish to seek private guidance from me, the opportunity is yours."

Yu was taken aback by the generosity of the offer. The Third Hokage not only granted him access to all the scrolls in the Hokage's office but also extended an invitation for personal tutelage in ninjutsu by the revered "God of Shinobi" himself.

What an incredible opportunity!

The Third Hokage, renowned as the "God of Shinobi," had trained legendary ninja who had shaken the shinobi world. He possessed expertise in all major forms of ninjutsu, including mastery of the five elemental affinities.

Allowing Yu to receive guidance from him could accelerate his growth tremendously.

"That's very generous, Lord Hokage," Yu said, astonished by the unexpected windfall.

Regardless of how the outside world might perceive the Third Hokage—whether as a benevolent and indecisive leader or as a successful or failed ninja and politician—there was no denying that he regarded every member of the village as his own family.

Even in the case of Orochimaru, who had strayed far from the straight path and even harmed Konoha in the original story, the Third Hokage could not bring himself to kill him.

As a ninja and a politician, the Third Hokage might have had his failures. However, as a compassionate and caring leader, he had undoubtedly succeeded.

"Your talent and abilities are the best I've ever seen," the Third Hokage remarked. "Even at your age, you surpass Orochimaru's abilities by far."

After a deep, searching look at Yu, the Third Hokage stood and put on his white Hokage cloak. "Let's go. We still have some time. I'll take you to the Medical Corps."

With that, the Third Hokage led Yu out of the Hokage's office.

Along the way, the other ninja they encountered saluted and cast curious glances at the white-haired young ninja accompanying the Hokage.

"We've arrived. This is the Konoha Ninja Hospital," the Third Hokage announced as they reached their destination.

Following the Third Hokage, Yu observed numerous injured shinobi scattered throughout the hospital's corridors even before entering the building.

Guided by the Third Hokage, they finally arrived at a hall that bore the sign "Konoha Medical Corps."

----

Support me on patreon for More advanced chapters up to 50 so far patreon.com/DemonWriter