Chapter 142: Danzo's delusion

"These issues involving the Konoha Elders..."

"It's not exactly our concern as lower-level ninjas."

Upon catching the derisive tone in Yu's voice, the Root ninja didn't let it bother them. Without missing a beat, he gestured gracefully toward Yu and spoke, "Danzo-sama is aware of Yu-sama's battlefield accomplishments, yet the two haven't had the chance to meet. That's why he's extended a personal invitation for you to visit our Root base as an honored guest."

"Visit your Root base as a guest?"

At these words, Yu raised an eyebrow and responded in a calm tone, "What if I say I'm not interested?"

"Yu-sama is joking. You are the talent most esteemed by Danzo-sama. Before sending me, Danzo-sama explicitly instructed me not to show any disrespect towards you..."

The Root ninja's sincerity shone through, and then he smoothly redirected the conversation, saying, "Danzo-sama also mentioned... there have been some misunderstandings between him and Yu-sama before."

"So, He wanted to take this opportunity today to sit down with you and have a good talk... and also explore any possibilities for collaboration."

Misunderstanding? Cooperation?

Upon hearing this, a faint, cold smile played on Yu's lips. Since the moment Danzo reached out to the orphanage and threatened him with Nono, any possibility of reconciliation had vanished.

"Well, since you're being so polite, I don't see a reason to be impolite in return. Lead the way."

Having made his decision, Yu addressed the Root ninja before him. He was curious to unravel the calculations that still lingered in Danzo's mind at this juncture.

"Please, lead the way."

With Yu's agreement, the Root ninja took the lead, guiding him toward the Root organization base.

Watching the back of the Root organization ninja leading the way, judging from the figure, he seemed to be about the same age as Yu. Coupled with the deliberately concealed voice from earlier, Yu increasingly felt that he resembled the person he had speculated about.

"What is your name?"

Walking along the road, Yu broke the silence.

"We are Root. Root has no name, no emotions, no past, and no future."

The ninja in front did not turn around, and the calm voice halted Yu's inquiry.

"No past and no future?"

Upon hearing the ninja's response, a hint of amusement danced on Yu's lips. "Haven't seen you for a while. Did you really abandon the name Nono gave you too?"

Click!

The ninja in front paused, and the body instantly stiffened.

"As expected..."

"I can't hide anything from you, Yu."

Turning around and removing the floral mask from his face, the Root organization ninja revealed a delicate visage, along with silver-gray hair and a pair of iconic black-framed glasses.

'Heh, it really is you... Yakushi Kabuto.'

Observation Haki could accurately 'hear' the distinct sounds emitted by each person's body, confirming Yu's suspicion of the person's identity.

"You've been away from the orphanage for so long... How has it been in Root?"

Gazing at Kabuto, who had been with Root for a while now, Yu casually initiated a conversation.