Chapter 74

Yan Shuixin really wanted to wave at Tang Dongjin: 'Hey! Your prince is here! Hurry up and escort us back to the capital!'

But after encountering too many dirty matters along the way, even General Tu, who had merits in the court and appeared upright, was controlled by King Jin. Tang Dongjin, the trusted aide of King An, may also have the slightest possibility of being problematic.

She couldn't afford to take the risk.

With only about sixty miles left, they would arrive in the capital in half a day. It might be better for them to return on their own.

Yan Shuixin lowered her head and ate the noodles with big mouthfuls, showing no hint of unease.

Tang Dongjin led six guards to dismount and approach the tea stall, while the rest remained stationed on the official road.

"Hello, sir, what can I do for you?" The tea stall owner hurried over to greet them.

Tang Dongjin unfolded a portrait of Xiao Yeheng and waved it in front of the diners at each table. "Have you seen King An?"

"No, sir," the tea stall owner said regretfully. "If I knew the whereabouts of King An, I would have claimed the reward long ago. With a thousand taels of gold and a thousand acres of good land, why would I bother setting up shop here if I knew where King An was?"

Other diners chimed in, "Exactly, if anyone knew where King An was, who wouldn't covet that reward that they couldn't earn in dozens of lifetimes?"

"We've found many people who resemble King An, but none of them were him."

When Tang Dongjin heard this, his face showed disappointment and exhaustion. "I hope King An is safe. Even if it costs me my life, I'm willing to exchange it for his."

"Commander Tang, you're truly loyal. If King An knew of your intentions, he would surely reward you generously in the future," the tea stall owner flattered.

Tang Dongjin looked sorrowful. "It doesn't matter, as long as King An returns safely."

"Other soldiers act high and mighty, but Commander Tang is very approachable. No wonder he's King An's right-hand man. You're a good person," one of the diners praised him.

Tang Dongjin said, "Please keep an eye out. If there's any clue about King An, no matter how true or false, even if it's just suspicious, please report it."

The diners in the tea stall all agreed.

"Commander Tang, I heard that a few days ago, Deputy Minister of War Zuo Chuan, Grand Military Counselor Liu Yu, and Captain Qin Lang suddenly went insane, killing hundreds of people. Some other officials also went mad suddenly and were imprisoned. Is that true?" The tea stall owner served Tang Dongjin and the others each a bowl of tea, asking cautiously.

All the diners leaned in eagerly, waiting for the answer.

Yan Shuixin and Xiao Yeheng were extremely surprised. Going crazy and killing people indiscriminately—wasn't that a symptom of the Chihuan Madness Poison?

A serious look appeared in Tang Dongjin's eyes. "This is a state affair and should not be casually discussed. Beware of getting into trouble. Do you understand?"

"Yes, yes," the tea stall owner nodded quickly.

Everyone understood that, since Tang Leader didn't deny it, it must be true.

Xiao Yeheng's expression darkened.

After Tang Dongjin and his men finished their tea and paid a few copper coins, they walked towards the official road. When they passed by the carriage Yan Shuixin was riding in, Tang Dongjin stopped and glanced at Xiao Yeheng, who was sitting on the carriage shaft. "Who are you? Where are you from, and where are you heading?"