Chapter 81

Yan Shuixin's eyes gleamed as she listened to the long list of rewards and gifts, and she almost salivated.

In ancient times, men were superior to women, and the hierarchy was strict; nobles and royals were considered superior. If possible, she wanted to stand above and look down rather than looking up pitifully.

Being a county princess with such prestigious status was what she loved the most!

And a grand mansion, so much wealth and land; being a landlord would satisfy her for a lifetime.

Her heart surged with excitement, boiling over.

After Eunuch Lin De finished reading the imperial edict, he smiled flatteringly and said in a high-pitched voice, "Princess Shengping, I would like to congratulate you."

Yan Shuixin smiled warmly. "Eunuch Lin is too kind." She took out a silver note from her sleeve and handed it to Lin De. "This is for your tea money."

Lin De took it, glancing at the amount on the silver note from the corner of his eye. Oh my, there was as much as one hundred taels of silver.

Princess Shengping was truly generous.

It seemed that, even without a title, she was a wealthy person. Well, being the disciple of the Divine Physician, she was no ordinary person. It's unknown whether her money came from selling the jade pendant of General Tu.

"Well, I thank you, Princess." Lin De bowed to her and said, "In the city, there are two luxurious mansions. The Princess Mansion was previously owned by Princess Ronghua, but unfortunately, Princess Ronghua passed away at a young age due to illness. The other is the mansion built by the corrupt official Liu Zhongmin. After his execution, the mansion became vacant. There are also several estates outside the city that the Emperor built, specifically intended to reward meritorious officials. You can personally visit these places and choose one as your county princess mansion."

Yan Shuixin smiled and asked, "Eunuch Lin, which one do you think is better?"

"If you don't mind the death of the princess, this old servant thinks Princess Ronghua's mansion is the best. The materials used are top-notch, and it's located in the second-tier area of the capital, not far from King An's Mansion. It also has the highest market value. Of course, no one else is qualified to bid for the Princess Mansion. It shows that the Emperor values you, even letting you choose the Princess Mansion."

Before entering King An's mansion, Yan Shuixin had already inquired about the current members of the royal family. Such information was easily available for a small price; there were plenty of people willing to tell you this kind of news.

Princess Ronghua is the eldest daughter of the current emperor and was born to the empress herself. She was greatly cherished since birth, and the emperor specially ordered the construction of a mansion for her, also to facilitate so that the empress could take her to live outside the palace.

Unfortunately, both Princess Ronghua and the empress died of illness. It is estimated that the empress's family genes were not good.

"Then I'll choose Princess Ronghua's mansion." Yan Shuixin knew this was the best choice. As she was now the emperor's lifesaver, Lin De definitely wouldn't dare to deceive her.

Lin De praised, "The county princess has a discerning eye. Since the completion of the Princess Mansion, neither the empress nor the princess have ever stayed in the mansion outside the palace."

With so many concubines of the emperor, she didn't care about the affairs of the late empress and princess. She just remarked, "It's a pity the grand princess passed away early. Otherwise, I would prefer to choose elsewhere."

"Indeed." Lin De also showed a sorrowful expression, then continued, "I'll have someone send all your rewards to the Princess Mansion... No, the county princess mansion."

"Thank you, Eunuch Lin," she nodded.

Emperor Xiao Jing walked into the hall, smiling at Yan Shuixin. "Miss Yan, good morning. Are you satisfied with my rewards?"

Yan Shuixin curtsied, expressing her gratitude, "Long live the Emperor, long live the Emperor!"

"Haha! You've never shouted long live to me before." Emperor Xiao Jing was delighted, helping her up. "You're pregnant, so there is no need to be polite."

"Can I also be less formal after giving birth?" She flattered, "Emperor, you're respected in my heart. By not kneeling, it will only deepen my respect."

Emperor Xiao Jing chuckled again. "Strong argument, but it's very interesting. As my lifesaver, I decree that you need not bow to anyone in the entire Fengxiang Kingdom in the future." Not bowing to him as the emperor naturally meant not bowing to anyone of lower rank; otherwise, it would undermine his imperial dignity.

"Thank you, Your Majesty." Yan Shuixin was genuinely happy; she observed the emperor's refreshing demeanor and said, "Your Majesty, usually after being poisoned, one needs to rest for a few days due to weakness, but you seem to be in good spirits. You are truly worthy of being the true dragon emperor, with dragon energy protecting your body."

"Hahaha!" Xiao Jing laughed heartily for the third time. "Look at you, so sweet-tongued. My kingdom hasn't been lost, and those crazy ministers didn't lose their lives because of that shocking poison. I'm happy, excited, and thrilled!"

Yan Shuixin understood, and she felt joyous too because Xiao Yeheng was also fine.

"There's something I want to discuss with you." Xiao Jing pondered for a moment. "The two antidotes you made earlier, I've ordered them to be distributed. But this poison is too tyrannical and evil. I want to make the prescription public to prevent King Jin, Xiao Shen, from using this poison for evil deeds."

"I'll write it down immediately," Yan Shuixin said, and a young eunuch beside her already had pen and ink ready.

It seemed that the emperor wasn't seeking her opinion earlier; he was giving orders.

She had already gained enough benefits, so she didn't feel anything about it. Swiftly, the prescription was written out in elaborate strokes, detailing the medicinal ingredients and preparation methods.

The emperor immediately had copies of the prescription made and distributed widely among the people.

At that moment, a palace attendant respectfully reported, "King An has awakened."

"The third prince has awakened. Let's go see!" The emperor originally came here to have breakfast, but before he could enjoy it, he walked towards the Tingyu Pavilion.

With a full belly and an upgraded status, Yan Shuixin followed behind in high spirits...

In one of the rooms in the Tingyu Pavilion of King An's Mansion, a short while earlier, the semi-conscious Xiao Yeheng opened his eyes.

Steward Fang Yi, who was standing nearby, joyfully exclaimed, "My lord, you've finally awakened!"

Xiao Yeheng sat up, his voice hoarse. "Bring me a glass of water."

"Yes." Fang Yi had known the prince would wake up, so the water in the teapot on the table was already hot. He poured a glass of water and respectfully handed it over. "My lord, please have some."

Xiao Yeheng elegantly took a sip of water, then expressionlessly scanned his room. He noticed a blue brocade robe hanging on the coat rack, petite and delicate, clearly not his.

He never liked others' belongings appearing in his room. "Whose clothing is this? The servant's, or the clothes of the doctor who looks after me? Who allowed it to be placed in my room?"

Fang Yi secretly glanced at his master and asked, "Have you forgotten? Those are Miss Yan's clothes. Since she entered the prince's mansion, she's been wearing men's clothing."

"Impudent!" Xiao Yeheng's chest suddenly surged with anger. "How dare women's clothes be in my room? Get them out and burn them!"

"But..." Fang Yi hesitated, cautiously asking, "Haven't you always cherished Miss Yan the most? For her, you could jump off a cliff. Even if you went mad, only she could calm your temper."

Xiao Yeheng's expression changed unpredictably. "Would I do something so foolish for a woman? Are you aware of the punishment that you'd receive by deceiving your master?"

"I dare not. What I said just now, I saw with my own eyes." Fang Yi anxiously tried to prove his innocence.

Xiao Yeheng's sharp gaze fell on his anxious face, knowing that Fang Yi couldn't be lying. Could he really have been so absurd for a woman?

"Who is this Miss Yan you're talking about?"

Fang Yi quickly answered, "She is the disciple of the Divine Physician, Yan Shuixin. She said she went through hardships with you in the dungeon on the way back to the capital. It was also her who cured you, the emperor, and several ministers of the strange poison. Now, Eunuch Lin De has already spread the decree, bestowing the title of Shengping County Princess upon Yan Shuixin and marrying her to you. Don't you remember any of it?"

Xiao Yeheng inexplicably did not resist the marriage proposal with Yan Shuixin, and even her name seemed familiar to him. For a moment, he fell silent.

Outside the door, Emperor Xiao Jing arrived. The guards stationed there were about to report when the emperor raised his hand, signaling them to step aside.

Xiao Jing strode into the room excitedly. "Third brother, you're really awake!"

Xiao Yeheng nodded slightly to his older brother and said, "Brother, it's been a while." In his memory, it had been more than half a year. During this time, it felt like each day was a year, filled with peril at every step.

Rushing over to embrace Xiao Yeheng, who was sitting on the bed, Xiao Jing's voice choked with emotion. "It's my fault. I've been busy with state affairs, and Fang Yi was obstructed by King Jin's men. It wasn't until you disappeared for a month that he managed to break free and report it to me. Do you know? During the six months you were missing, I was beside myself with worry, unable to eat or sleep properly. I sent out troops to find you, but it was like finding a needle in a haystack. I thought I would never see you again, but unexpectedly, you sent someone to the palace with a message, using the broken-winged eagle emblem as a signal. It was only then that I rushed to the royal hunting ground to find you. And thanks to Fang Yi..."

Glancing at Fang Yi standing aside, Xiao Yeheng continued, "On the way to the hunting ground that day, less than two or three miles away, at a tree near the intersection several meters away, Fang Yi picked up a broken-winged eagle-shaped map from the tree stump before me. The tree where the map was found and the hunting ground were on different paths. Fang Yi and I decided to search in the direction of the cliff where the map was located. That's how we successfully found you."

"Thank you, Brother." Xiao Yeheng sincerely expressed his gratitude and then said to Fang Yi, "You've also worked hard. You'll receive a significant reward later, and I won't accept any refusal."

"Thank you, Your Highness."

The emperor remembered Fang Yi's earlier explanation about Yan Shuixin and asked, "Third brother, you seem perfectly normal. Why did Fang Yi say you don't remember Yan Shuixin?"

Xiao Yeheng shook his head. "I remember everything that happened before and after my disappearance, including going mad and killing people in King An's mansion. But I forgot about her. However, every event in my memory from the past half-year seems to be missing one person. It seems to be the Yan Shuixin you mentioned."

The emperor's expression changed, and he ordered, "Summon the royal physician!"

The royal physician, Li Mu, was already waiting outside. Upon hearing the command, he respectfully entered and saluted, "Greetings, Your Majesty, King An."

"Quickly examine King An and see what's wrong with him," Emperor Xiao Jing urged urgently.

"Yes, Your Majesty."

After carefully diagnosing King An, Li Mu said, "After detoxification, King An's body is weak. With a few days of rest, he will recover."

"Is there anything else?" Emperor Xiao Jing frowned.

Li Mu wasn't sure what the emperor was referring to, but he cautiously glanced at Xiao Yeheng and said, "Anyone who has been affected by Qihuan poison, even if cured, will no longer have the ability to reproduce. King An will not have any heirs in the future."

Upon hearing this, Xiao Yeheng clenched his fists tightly, his face full of anguish. "Is that so... Well, it's fine."

How could a cripple like him be qualified to be a father? After all, for a woman, it is a blessing not to have a husband like him.

Emperor Xiao Jing saw his younger brother's distress and immediately added, "Third brother, in the future, it can't be helped. But before you were poisoned, Miss Yan was already pregnant."

Xiao Yeheng's expression became serious. "What?"

"Princess Shengping is carrying your child." Emperor Xiao Jing comforted him with a pat on the shoulder. "Third brother, you're going to be a father."

Happiness came too suddenly. The reddish teardrops that had just surfaced in Xiao Yeheng's eyes receded. Could it be true?

He... was going to be a dad? But he always detested women. Would he really touch a woman's body?

This time, Xiao Yeheng was curious about what kind of woman Yan Shuixin was.

Seeing the expression of doubt on his master's face, Fang Yi nodded vigorously. "What His Majesty said is absolutely true. Miss Yan is pregnant with your child, and these days in King An's mansion, you have been inseparable from Miss Yan. Wherever she goes, you follow."

"Nonsense," Xiao Yeheng dismissed. "I wouldn't do such a disgraceful thing. As for her bearing my offspring..." He wanted to deny it verbally, but inwardly, he was unwilling. What came out of his mouth was, "Perhaps."

"Third brother, it seems you really forgot about her." Emperor Xiao Jing massaged his temples, feeling a headache coming on. "Tell me, why don't you remember her?"

Xiao Yeheng couldn't explain.

"Here's the thing." Emperor Xiao Jing ordered, "Whether you remember Yan Shuixin or not, she has now saved me, you, and several ministers. Not only has she contributed to the court, but she's also carrying your only heir. Pregnant women can't afford any stress, so no mistakes must happen. Even if you don't remember, you must pretend to recognize her. This is an order!"

Fang Yi also kneeled down on one knee, pleading with Xiao Yeheng, "Master, you must not harm Yan... Princess Shengping."

At this moment, Yan Shuixin entered the room. Seeing the heavy atmosphere and Fang Yi kneeling on the ground, she asked, "Little Fang, what were you just saying?"

She had been to the restroom because pregnant women urinate frequently, so she arrived a little later.

Xiao Yeheng looked at Yan Shuixin. Her complexion was fair, her figure graceful, her eyebrows delicate, her eyes particularly lively and charming, and her lips tempting. He had kissed those lips many times, and he had even explored her body.

A strange feeling arose in his heart—a profound infatuation he didn't even realize himself.

Emperor Xiao Jing saw his brother's expression and realized he had worried for nothing. It seemed that even if the third prince had forgotten her, he still deeply admired her from the bottom of his heart.

Only now did Fang Yi come to his senses. So, Little Fang was her way of referring to him? "Princess, I was just explaining to the prince what had happened when he was out of his mind, since he was afraid he might have harmed you." He could only come up with excuses to cover up.

Yan Shuixin had no doubt about it and strode towards Xiao Yeheng with graceful elegance.

Despite being only a little over two months pregnant, she showed no signs of it; her waist was still slender.

The men in the room found her walking to be a beautiful sight.

She threw herself into Xiao Yeheng's arms and kissed his damaged left cheek. "Husband, did you miss me while I was away?"

Xiao Yeheng was stiffened by her embrace, and before he could react, she had already stolen a kiss on his most vulnerable left cheek. Normally, he would have already pushed away anyone who approached him, but inexplicably, he hesitated with her, even nodding before fully realizing it. It turned out she didn't mind his disfigurement.

Yan Shuixin reached out to feel his pulse, checking his health. "You're perfectly fine, and your health has improved. That's wonderful!"

Her skin was soft and smooth to the touch, bringing him immense joy as her fingers grazed his wrist. It was as if she had always touched him like this.

Xiao Yeheng raised his hand to caress her beautifully painted face. The sensation under his fingers filled him with joy and familiarity.

With any other woman, he wouldn't even touch her, let alone find it pleasant.

But she was different.

Perhaps, in the corner of his fragmented memory, he truly liked her.

Yan Shuixin stared into his deep and slightly unfamiliar eyes and asked in confusion. "What's wrong?"

Xiao Yeheng knew that if he told her he remembered everything except her, she would be heartbroken for no reason. He inexplicably didn't want her to be sad. "I just feel like I haven't taken good care of you."

"It's okay." She took his large hand and placed it naturally on her still-flat abdomen. "Look, both I and our baby are doing well."

Xiao Yeheng's heart fluttered, feeling her warmth through the clothes, and he even took the initiative to say, "Little baby, it's your father."

Yan Shuixin chuckled and scolded him with a glance. "Silly, he's only a little over two months old; his body hasn't even fully developed yet; how could he hear anything?"

"I just like him/her." Xiao Yeheng truly believed that she was carrying his offspring because of the inexplicable sense of closeness that made his blood boil, touching his heart deeply.

After seeing her, he realized that even if the emperor and Fang Yi hadn't told him, he wouldn't harm her in the slightest.

There was just an extra sense of tenderness towards her in his heart.

"The baby likes you too." Yan Shuixin rested her head on his sturdy shoulder.

Fang Yi picked up the clothes hanging on the rack and started to leave. Yan Shuixin watched his movements and asked, "What are you doing with my clothes?"

"To take them..." Before Fang Yi could finish his sentence, Xiao Yeheng cut in, "I told him to take them for washing."

Fang Yi choked. His master had always kept his word, so why did he suddenly change his mind for the princess?

He must really love the princess a lot.

It seemed that his loyal subordinate's position in his master's heart was going to be squeezed.

"But those clothes were just washed; I haven't worn them yet." Yan Shuixin glanced sideways, noticing Fang Yi's frustrated expression. Xiao Yeheng shot Fang Yi a warning glance and said, "Aren't you going to hang them back?"

"Yes." Fang Yi dared not say anything more, carefully hanging the clothes back on the rack.

Yan Shuixin found it strange. Weren't her clothes usually washed by the maids in the mansion? A steward, and a male one at that, shouldn't be handling her clothes. Had something happened?

She looked at Xiao Yeheng with a suspicious gaze.

The latter immediately felt guilty, breaking out in a cold sweat. "Is there something on my face?"

Yan Shuixin couldn't see anything unusual and didn't pay much attention to the trivial matter of washing clothes; she simply said, "My lord, you should go have your meal."

Emperor Xiao Jing, who hadn't spoken until now, added, "Perfect timing; I'll join you."

"I've already eaten, so I'll just take a rest. You two go ahead." Yan Shuixin bent down to put on the prosthetic leg for Xiao Yeheng's severed left leg, then tied the ropes that held the prosthetic leg to his thigh and waist. Her movements were natural and gentle.

Xiao Yeheng glanced at his ugly stump, staring at her expression, feeling a tremor in his heart involuntarily, fearing her rejection.

But when he saw her calm gaze, devoid of any hint of disgust, he relaxed slightly.

She then dressed him in a purple outer robe, fastened the belt, and said, "There, my lord looks handsome again in this outfit today."

A smile unconsciously appeared at the corner of Xiao Yeheng's lips. "With you being pregnant, you don't need to worry about these chores in the future. Let Jiping handle them."

Yan Shuixin had been in King An's mansion for over half a month, so she naturally knew that Jiping was Xiao Yeheng's guard and servant. "Alright."

When Xiao Yeheng lost his mind, he didn't let anyone get close, but she took care of him personally.

She lay down on the bed and closed her eyes.

Xiao Yeheng signaled to the imperial physician Li Mu with a glance, and the latter nodded, using a piece of cloth to feel Yan Shuixin's pulse.

"The fetus is stable; the pulse is strong and steady." Li Mu bowed to King An.

Xiao Yeheng nodded slightly. Actually, he still couldn't believe it. He thought he would never be a father, but now he is.

As they walked out of the room, Fang Yi, who was at the back, remembered to close the door.

On the way to the hall for breakfast, Xiao Yeheng spoke up, "How did I interact with Yan Shuixin before? How did I address her?"

Since he didn't want her to know that he had forgotten her, he needed to be prepared in advance.

Fang Yi, walking behind them, answered, "All I know is that when Miss Yan fell off the cliff and you almost jumped after her, you called her 'Xin'er.' The emperor sent people to search for her at the bottom of the cliff for four days with no results, but she came to King An's Mansion to find you herself. She also knew the poem you wrote back then, which made me believe she was someone you trusted. After she arrived at King An's Mansion, you were always in an irrational state, and she took care of you."

Xiao Yeheng's memories were all intact, except for her presence. Hearing Fang Yi's words, he understood many things. "So, she fell off the cliff, but luckily she's okay!"

His heart inexplicably tightened, almost jumping out of his throat, filled with fear.

"Take the meal to the room." Xiao Yeheng turned around and walked back. He wanted to be with Xin'er.

"Aren't you going to the hall for breakfast?" Emperor Xiao Jing watched his figure as he walked away.

But Xiao Yeheng was already far gone.

"Alright, no need to worry." Emperor Xiao Jing shook his head. "Even when Third Brother forgets about Yan Shuixin, he's so concerned. If he remembers her, he'll definitely hold her close to his heart."

"I never thought our lord would be so sentimental." Fang Yi once thought that the prince would never fall in love with any woman, but it turned out he was mistaken.

With a creak, the door to the Rain Pavilion opened.

Seeing Xiao Yeheng, who was dressed in a purple robe with a jade crown on his head, come back, Yan Shuixin asked, "Forgot something?"

"Am I bothering you? I'll have my meal in the room." He gazed steadily at her exquisite face. "I don't know why, but I don't want to be apart from you for a moment."

(forgotten from his brain, but never his heart😭 This couple has never had a moment of peace)