Chapter 75

Yan Shuixin inquired about the current situation from the waiter. Within forty miles of the outskirts of the capital, especially around the Cold Moon Villa, was an area where King Jin focused on searching for King An. People nearby were afraid of getting involved and dared not go there. Moreover, the forces of the Emperor and King An's mansion were evenly matched with those of King Jin.

She tipped the waiter thirty copper coins.

"Thank you. If you need anything, just call me," said the waiter before leaving the room and making sure to close the door.

She dragged a chair to the bedside and kept watch over Xiao Yeheng, who was still unconscious.

Checking his pulse, she realized that the poison was getting deeper, and there was no telling when he would lose control. They couldn't delay any longer!

Despite the difficulties, they had to return to King An's mansion immediately.

...

Imperial Palace, Chengqian Hall

A large stack of memorials was neatly piled on the left side of the grand desk, while a delicate wooden box was placed in the middle.

Anyone would think that the box contained rare treasures.

Emperor Xiao Jing opened the box, revealing old slingshots, a wooden sword, and two clay figurines—one large and one small—among other small items.

Eunuch Lin De stood by, looking worried. "Your Majesty, you're missing King An again."

Emperor Xiao Jing picked up the slingshot and played with it in his hand. "This is what King An and I made together when we used to hunt birds." He then took out the wooden sword. "This was a birthday gift from King An himself."

After returning the items to the box, he picked up the two clay figurines. "When I was six years old and King A was five, he made these clay figurines. He gave me the larger one and kept the smaller one for himself. Back then, I thought it was ugly."

Lin De flattered, "To be able to make such clay figurines at the age of five, King An is indeed talented."

"Indeed." The Emperor looked at the two roughly crafted clay figurines, as if seeing himself and King An in their childhood through them. "King An is my only full-blooded brother. Before our mother passed away, I promised to protect him for life. He has been missing for half a year, and despite my best efforts, I cannot find him. Lin De, do you think I'm failing our mother and failing as an older brother?"

"Your Majesty, you are the best brother in the world. Many things are not within your control." Lin De kneeled down. "If King A knew that you blamed yourself like this, he would be saddened. Please take care of yourself."

At this moment, the captain of the Imperial Guard, Qi Hui, hurriedly entered and kneeled down. "Your Majesty, I report that King Jin has sent a large number of troops to search for King A within forty miles of the capital. Anyone entering the capital is subject to a body search, regardless of gender. It has greatly disturbed the people, and there are widespread complaints."

Bang! The Emperor angrily slammed the desk, his expression cold. "King Jin is becoming more and more audacious. He claims to be searching for the Third Prince's return to the capital, but if the Third Prince really falls into his hands, what kind of fate will await him? Qi Hui, no matter what means you use, keep a close eye on King Jin's troops. Under no circumstances should King An fall into King Jin's hands!"

"Yes!" Qi Hui left after receiving the order.

Emperor Xiao Jing sat back wearily in the dragon-carved chair behind the desk. "I'm useless. I can't even protect the Third Prince."