Chapter 84

After discussing military affairs with Xiao Yeheng for a while, Xiao Jing left. Passing by the courtyard of the Rain Pavilion, he saw Yan Shuixin sitting under a big tree with a table and chairs, enjoying the shade. On the table, there were delicate pastries and fruits.

The courtyard environment was elegant and magnificent, with a beauty that could captivate a nation.

Xiao Jing really wanted to sit with Yan Shuixin at the table, enjoy tea, and chat.

He found that not only was she highly skilled in medicine, but she also had broad knowledge and a dignified demeanor. She didn't show any nervousness like other concubines or palace maids when facing him.

More than half a month ago, she talked to him for hours about her experiences with the Third Prince in prison.

Speaking of which, the two of them are still close friends.

But unfortunately...

Xiao Jing restrained the turmoil in his heart, and his footsteps didn't pause as he walked away. When he left the Rain Pavilion, he caught a glimpse of Xiao Yeheng, with his scarred face and limping steps, sitting across from Yan Shuixin in the seat he wanted to occupy.

Since childhood, not only did he cherish the Third Prince, but even before the incident, the former Empress Dowager, Liang Qingzhen, seemed to treat the Third Prince better than her own biological son.

From childhood to adulthood, Xiao Yeheng had never wavered in supporting him, his eldest brother, to become the crown prince.

He dispatched spies to monitor the former Empress Dowager several times, and they reported that she intentionally or unintentionally educated and guided Xiao Yeheng to support her son, King Jin, as emperor.

"Mother, my eldest brother, Xiao Jing, is talented, wise, kind, and knowledgeable. He is the ideal candidate for emperor!"

"Mother, my brother, Xiao Jing, has great talent for recognizing people and has the grace to accommodate others. Although I also regard your son, Xiao Shen, as my brother, it cannot be denied that I can only accept Xiao Jing as the future heir."

"Mother, there is an order of seniority. Xiao Jing is the eldest prince. With his talents and virtues, none of us younger brothers can compete with him. Otherwise, I, Xiao Yeheng, would be the first to disagree."

Xiao Jing remembered the words of the spies and recalled them perfectly. No matter how Liang Qingzhen instigated it, Yeheng always stood by his side as his younger brother.

Back then, Liang Qingzhen was still the late emperor's consort. She could only pretend to smile and deceitfully say that she had no objection to Xiao Yeheng's opinions.

Moreover, later on, Xiao Yeheng lost one eye and had his left cheek ruined in order to save Xiao Jing from the fourth prince.

Now, he's been harmed by King Jin and had his leg severed.

When he thought of this, it couldn't be worth a fight over a woman.

Emperor Xiao Jing had vowed back then that, as long as he lived, he would cherish Yeheng every day. She was just a woman; even if he was tempted, he wouldn't compete with Xiao Yeheng for Yan Shuixin.

Yeheng was right. In Xiao Jing's eyes, nothing was more important than the country and its people.

He added in his heart that nothing was more profound than the brotherly affection that Xiao Yeheng had shown him.

Emperor Xiao Jing raised his head and looked at the sky. The sky was clear and blue.

"Spread the word: King Jin, Xiao Shen, has committed high treason and intends to rebel. Anyone who captures him will be rewarded with five hundred gold taels!" Xiao Jing ordered the imperial decree to be posted.