Chapter 56

Chapter 56
Little kid...

Writer's POV;
"So what do we do now?" Error inquired as he looked at the weird sky above them.

Ink straightened the cart and surveyed its contents. "We need to find our way back," he declared, counting the seven sacks before inspecting their contents. To his dismay, he discovered at least ten broken potion bottles in each sack. With a sigh, he added, "We're currently in the realm of time and space, also known as Luminescent Nexus or the Nexus for short."

Error nodded in acknowledgement as he surveyed their surroundings, unable to resist the allure of the peculiar sights. Though the sky seemed somewhat ordinary, its purplish hue added an unusual touch. As he observed the ground beneath them, he noted its surprising softness. Taking a closer look, he realized they were standing on a remote island, encircled by light blue water. Beyond their island, other landmasses dotted the horizon, each with distinctively coloured terrain.

The wizard, looking at his companion's intrigue, explained about the realm. "Time and space continue in this realm. However, you may also enter different worlds depending on which island you're standing. Thankfully, these islands are further away from us and we won't have to worry about it."

The prince listened intently to the other, his curiosity prompting him to ask, "Have you been here before?"

Ink shook his head in response. "Sadly, no," he admitted, his fingers nervously toying with his scarf. "Personally, I hate meddling with time and space... It just makes me uncomfortable." Pausing, he ceased fidgeting with his scarf, a sense of relief washing over him as he opened up. "I prefer living in the present. The past and the future should be left alone."

"That makes sense.." Error noted. He kept looking around, mesmerized by literally everything. "So what you're saying.." He started, "I can go either into the past or future? Like, right at this moment?"

"Yes? Didn't I say that already?"

Error didn't press further, not particularly interested in travelling through time or space himself; he was merely checking. However, the same couldn't be said for Ink.

The artist glanced at the sacks, then back at Error, releasing a heavy sigh. "Uhm... Error," he began, catching the other's attention. Scratching the back of his head while leaning against the broken-down cart, he hesitated before continuing, "You remember how I said we shouldn't mess with time and space?"

Though the prince didn't recall such a statement, he nodded nonetheless, accustomed to Ink's occasional forgetfulness.

Receiving the nod, Ink proceeded, "Well... we might actually need to."

Confusion etched across Error's features as he inquired why.

"You see.. this island we're currently standing on had a pool which took us here. Uh, like a portal, take as a portal for instance. Now that 'portal' cannot be used to go back to our time..uh, world." Ink stumbled over his wording while trying to explain their current predicament as best as he could. He continued more confidently, "We need to find another pool or uh..portal.. to take us back."

"Alright..? Where can we find that 'portal'?" The taller skeleton asked.

"Uhm..." Ink hesitated, his uncertainty evident. "I, uh... may or may not know... where it is?"

"So... you don't know?" Error raised a bone brow.

"Yep. I don't know!" Ink admitted, not attempting to conceal his uncertainty this time. "But! We'll figure it out as we go through each pool!"