Break on Through

At the hospital, Alaric is laying down on an MRI machine. Spencer, Elena and Melissa are in another room, preparing to scan Alaric.

"What are you looking for?" Elena asked looking at Alaric through the glass window.

"I don't know." Melissa sighed, "A tumour, vascular anomalies, anything physical that might explain his behaviour. If it's medical, I can treat it."

"And if it's not?" Elena asked.

Melissa frowned tying to answer.

"Well, then we'll deal with that too." Spencer said.

A technician slides Alaric inside the machine. Alaric stares at his reflection in the mirror placed above him.

"When did you suspect him? That it was Alaric who was killing all of those people?" Elena asked Melissa.

"It was after Spencer told me about the ring." Melissa said, "Last time, when I was in Mystic Falls. And then I went back to London and I used to think about all of this." Melissa said, "I remembered a story my grandmother had told me about Samantha Gilbert and her secret journal." Melissa said, "Don't you remember Spencer?" Spencer shrugged, "Well you were kinda small then." Melissa sighed, "I don't know if you know this, but we Hastings are notorious busy-bodies."

"But then, why did you protect him?" Elena asked.

"Because I'm a doctor, I don't like to see someone hurt by something they have no control over." Melissa said. She took a breath, "Because he took care of my little sister when I couldn't." She said, "And because when he and I first met I felt like... I don't know, I- I just kind of want to help him."

Alaric continues to stare at his reflection in the mirror in the MRI machine. His reflection glares down at him, but Alaric is not making the same expression. Alaric starts to panic.

Melissa talks to him over a speaker, "Everything alright in there?"

Alaric closes his eyes and opens them, he stares at his reflection again, its expression is the same as his. "Yeah. Yeah, everything's okay."

*

Alaric is in a regular hospital room getting ready to leave. Elena comes in, "Melissa says that everything is normal."

"Yeah, well, everything is normal, because there is nothing wrong with me." Alaric said, "I didn't kill Wren Kingston, I didn't kill Bill Forbes, and I sure as hell didn't shove a hunting knife into my stomach." laric looks down at the ring, which is the only thing he didn't pick back up. "Or I did and I've gone insane, just like your ancestor who," Alaric picks up the ring, "wore that ring."

"Look, I'm gonna call Bonnie, the rings were made by a Bennett witch so maybe a witch can reverse the damage."

Alaric pushes the ring towards Elena. "Take it. I don't want it anymore."

Elena takes the ring and looks at Alaric.

Damon enters the room, "You ready to ditch this House of Horrors? Ohf, you look terrible."

"Yeah, let me... let me check out of here." Alaric said. Alaric leaves the room.

Elena gives Damon a hateful look and leaves too. Elena is walking out to her car, Damon is following her. "Don't worry about him, take him out for chicken soup, get him a martini, make sure he doesn't kill anybody."

"What is wrong with you? How could you just go out feeding with Stefan like some vampire pub crawl?"

"Oh right, I thought we were talking about Alaric, but of course we're talking about Stefan."