Heart of Darkness

Spencer is standing outside in her balcony frowning. She's deep in thought when she sees Toby standing in her front lawn smiling.

Spencer squinted and frowned, "What are you doing here?"

Toby shrugged, "I was wondering if we could talk?"

Spencer looked away, "I don't know..."

Toby brought his hands forward and held them up. He was holding a packet of skittles.

Spencer smiled, "How did you know they were my favourite?"

Toby shrugged, "I remember you used to bring them to school every day in fourth grade."

Spencer couldn't help but smile.

Toby gestured towards the skittles, "So what do you say?" Spencer didn't respond, "Please?"

Spencer took a deep breath.

*

At the Salvatore House, Elena walks down the stairs into the basement with a bag. She approaches the door to one of the cells and peers in. "Alaric?"

"Yep." Alaric said, "Still me." Elena unlocks the door and enters the cell. Alaric is sitting on a cot in the room. "You know, you shouldn't be in here. It defeats the point of the whole being locked in a cellar thing."

Elena drops the bag on the ground. "Well, you still need the basics. Toothbrush, clothes, some boring books to help you sleep."

Alaric picks up one of the books and hands it to Elena. "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde?"

"What? No, I grabbed.... Damon." Elena sighed, "Thinks he's hilarious."

"At least one of us still has a sense of humor."

"Are you sure that you...? I mean you don't have to be kept in here."

"Ah, no, this is... this is the right place for me to be." Alaric nodded, "At least until you guys can convince my highly uncooperative alter ego to fess up to where I or he hid the white oak stake."

"We looked everywhere." Elena said, "You.... the other you, hid it well."

"What's Klaus gonna do if you can't find it?"

"It's the only thing that will kill him, so wage war, murder people, you know Klaus stuff." Elena chuckled. Elena pulls up a chair and sits down in it. "Listen, Stefan is gonna watch over you for a little while. Spencer's gonna be around too, okay? Now that Klaus knows where Jeremy is, it's not safe so, Damon and I are gonna go to Denver to pick him up."

"Why do you say that like you're waiting for me to disapprove?" Alaric asked.

"I don't know." Elena shrugged, "Me and Damon. Traveling across the country."

"I guess I'm more curious to hear what Spencer has to say about it." Alaric said, "Even Stefan."

"Actually, it was his idea." Elena said, "Stefan'." Elena nodded, "He thinks that I have some unresolved feelings for Damon."

"Do you?"

Elena sighed, "I guess that's why I'm going on this trip. So I can figure it out."

"What about Spencer?"

"They broke up," Elena said. "And I don't wish to come between them but..." Elena sighed, "I just hope that she forgives me."

*

Spencer and Toby are sitting in the playground eating skittles.

Toby looked at her, "I am sorry." Spencer looked at him, "I didn't know Allison was still a sore topic, I just didn't want to lie."