Welcome Home

At a house in Tennessee, a woman walks out of the kitchen door. “Rudy!” She whistles, “Rudy. Come on! It’s too hot to make me come looking for you.” She bends down and picks up a toy. And when she turns around Klaus suddenly appears in front of her.

“I'm so sorry.” Klaus said, “I didn't mean to scare you.”

“Can I help you?”

“Yeah, my car hmm, my car ran out of gas a couple of miles back.” Klaus said, “Eh I feel like I’ve been walking forever yours is the first house I come to so I was just hoping I could use your phone?”

The Woman frowned, “Don't you have a cell phone?”

“Huh, yeah.” He picks up phone, “battery died. Look I promise I'm not a serial killer I just wanna use your phone.”

The woman nodded, “Sure.”

“Soo, I can come in?” Klaus raised his eyebrows.

“No,” She said, “I'll get the phone and I'll bring it out to you.”

Klaus sighed annoyed, “I thought you country folks were supposed to be more trusting.”

“I'm from Florida.”

“Well, that explains it.” He grabs her throat and compels her, “Now show me a little southern hospitality. Sweet pea.”

Inside the House, Kitchen. Another women is frying food and walks over to the counter with the frying pan. “I bet you a hundred dollars that dog ran off to a house with air conditioning.” She turns around and sees the woman and Klaus enter the kitchen, “What's going on?”

“Please don't be alarmed.” Klaus said, “I was told Ray Sutton lives here.”

“He's almost never here.” She answered, “He's on the road mostly.”

“But I expect he makes it home, once a month. That's what I thought. Where is he now?” He asked. They didn’t answer, “If I have to make you tell me it's going to be infinitely more painful for you. Hmm.” Klaus chuckled. The second woman runs out of the kitchen and opens the front door. But in the doorway stands Stefan. Klaus and the first woman comes up behind her, “I love it when they run!”

The second woman sighed, “He's in Toll. It's near the border. A bar called Southern Comfort, It's on Highway 41.”

“Thank you my love.” Klaus touches the first woman’s hair, “Now, may my friend come in?”

She is crying, “Yes.”

They look terrified and Stefan goes in. Klaus pushes the woman to Stefan, “Kill this one quickly.” He looks at the second woman, “And make that one suffer. I'll be in the car.” Klaus leaves with a grin and the women are crying.

“Please don't!”

Stefan just looks at her and transforms. Bites her, She screams. The second woman screams too.

Outside the house, Klaus is walking over to the car smiling.

*

‘Dear Diary,

After you leave home, you may find yourself feeling homesick, even if you have a new home that has nicer wallpaper and a more efficient dishwasher than the home in which you grew up.

I am back. Even though I have been here more times than I can count and have walked this path more times than I can remember, the roads are the same ones that I grew up walking on, the trees are the same ones that I played around. Everything is same but not at the same time.