History Repeating

Bonnie sits at her desk in Science Class, trying to stay away during a boring lecture. “Today we're going to talk about shadow reckoning. This is a method of measuring heights by the sun's shadow. Let's say, for example, that we're going to measure the distance of a shadow. We're gonna take this measure here, measure the length, and we're going to multiply that by the height of the source. Building height can also be measured, using clinometers, which we're going to make in class tomorrow.” Bored, Bonnie glances around and notices something in the hallway. She gets up and follows a woman who turns out to be her ancestor, Emily Bennett.

“Hello?” She follows Emily out of the double doors and magically ends up in the old Fell's Church ruins. Emily is there, waiting for her.

“Please, help me.” Emily says.

“Who are you?” Bonnie asked weakly.

“I'm Emily.” Emily smiles, “You know that. We're family.”

“Where am I?”

“This is where it started. And this is where it has to end.”

“No. This isn't real.” Bonnie tries to run away, but Emily keeps blocking her path.

“Help me.” Emily said.

Bonnie wakes up with a gasp. She's in class. Everyone stares at her, including the girl sitting next to her. “What are you looking at? Turn around.” She turns to the other side, and realizes Emily is sitting in the desk next to her. She screams, and wakes up in the middle of the old Fell's Church ruins.

*

Elena and Caroline are walking towards the school, “Have you even talked to Bonnie?”

“No, I'm mad at her. She needs to make the first move.”

“Be the bigger person.” Elena said.

“Impossible in her presence.” Caroline said.

“Why are you so pissed at her anyway?”

“She's a thief, that's why. I gave her my necklace, and she refuses to give it back. It's a matter of principle.” Caroline said.

“All right. Well, I tried. I'm officially out of it.” Elena sighed.

“Good. Your turn. Where's Stefan? Have you talked to him?”

“He's avoiding me.”

“Why?”

Elena hesitates as she tries to think of what she can say, “...It's complicated.” The bells rings, giving Elena an excuse to leave, “I'll see you later.”

Caroline waved, “Bye.” Elena leaves. Matt and Caroline pass each other.

“Hey.” Matt said.

“Hey” Caroline smiled. Caroline is disappointed, and stares at him before walking away.

*

Spencer walked into History class. She saw Elena staring at Stefan’s empty seat. Then she looked at Bonnie who looked sick. Spencer mouthed an ‘Are you okay?’ to which Bonnie just shrugged. What was going on?

Then she turned her attention to the new History teacher. "Good Morning everyone. Alrighty." He writes his name on the chalkboard. "Alaric Saltzman. It's a mouthful, I know. Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. Saltzman is of German origins. My family emigrated here in 1755 to Texas. I, however, was born and raised in Boston. Now the name Alaric belongs to a very dead great-grandfather I will never be able to thank enough. You'll probably want to pronounce "Alaric" but it's "Alaric," okay? So, you can call me Rick. I'm your new history teacher"