Before Sunset

At Mystic High, Alaric is sitting at his desk in his classroom, his feet propped up on the desk. He twirls the white oak stake in his hands and takes his feet off the desk. He leans forward and looks at the stake. He turns to look out the door, he hears Caroline entering the school.

Caroline is on the phone with Tyler, she walks through the halls of the school, "What do you mean you're ditching my clean up committee?"

Tyler on the other line is at Klaus's mansion, "Klaus called. He's leaving town and wants me to pack up his house."

"Well, since when does sire bond equal mover slave?"

"Since I realized you're not gonna dump me for him." Tyler said.

Caroline moaned in disappointment, "Ugh, he's being petty."

"And he still thinks I'm sired to him." Tyler sighed, "It's fine, I'll keep up the act and it will all be over soon. I'm late, I gotta go." He said, "I love you."

"I love you too." Caroline hangs up. She hears a noise and turns around. Behind her, Alaric rushes past. Caroline turns back around. "Hello?" Caroline walks into the cafeteria. Rebekah is cleaning up the mess from the dance. "Where's Matt?"

"He bailed." Rebekah said, "Got called into work at the last minute."

"Are you kidding me? So, it's just us?"

"Yes, and you're late." Rebekah said, "Clean up committee started at eight o'clock."

"It's like 8:02."

"Exactly." Rebekah said, "I managed to turn up on time and I didn't even get to attend the dance that I organized." Rebekah walks past Caroline and empties out the trash.

Caroline frowned, "I'm sorry about your mom. I mean I know you like, hated her and everything, but still... I'm sorry."

Rebekah looked at her, "I'm sorry about your teacher. He seemed like a nice guy."

"Yeah." Caroline smiled, "He was."

Rebekah said, "I'm gonna get started on the gym." Rebekah walks out into the hallway. Alaric comes around the corner and Rebekah stops dead in her tracks. "You're supposed to be dead."

"I am." Alaric said.

Rebekah rushes at Alaric, but Alaric throws her against the locker. He's about to stab her with the white oak stake when Caroline rushes out of the cafeteria and pins Alaric to the locker. Rebekah takes the stake and stabs Alaric with it. Caroline and Rebekah look at each other as Alaric takes the stake out. When he finally gets it out, he realizes that they are both gone.

*

Caroline rushes to her car and pulls out her keys. She sees Alaric's reflection in her car window and drops her keys. Alaric snaps Caroline's neck and she falls to the ground.

Alaric drags the unconscious Caroline back towards the school as his flesh starts to smoke and burn off.

Rebekah watches him enter the school.

*

Elena drapes a white cover over an armchair. Jeremy and her pour paint into a container and begin to paint the room. Stefan walks in, "Going darker, huh?"

Elena looks around. "It's the only color we had."

"That's what happens when you decide to paint your dead guardian's room in the middle of the night." Jeremy muttered.

"I don't suppose anyone tried to talk you guys out of doing this so soon." Stefan said.

"We have to keep moving. Otherwise we'll start thinking and we don't want to think." Elena nodded.