Growing Pains

There is a bright white light and the sounds of church bells ringing, sirens, and yard work going on can be heard. Suddenly Spencer opens her eyes, as she gasps. She is in a hospital room. The walls are white and everything is plain, Spencer had been in the hospital more times than she can remember. It was all very familiar.

"W-What?" she mumbled looking at herself, she was in her own clothes but her clothes were stained from the accident. "Did somebody save me? Did the doctors save me? Oh my god," Spencer smiled, "I didn't die?" She chuckled.

Suddenly she heard the door to the room open and in walked Melissa. She looked very tired, she had bags under her eyes from not sleeping and her appearance wasn't so neat. Her hair was messy, probably from her running her hands in it too many times. Her eyes were puffy and red, from crying.

Spencer smiled waiting for Melissa's reaction to see Spencer up and about. But Melissa wasn't looking at Spencer. Spencer frowned and walked towards Melissa, "Melissa? I am fine, don't worry about me."

But Melissa was staring at the bed in front of her. Spencer furrowed her eyebrows and moved her gaze and gasped.

In the hospital bed laid Spencer Hastings. She had wounds all over her face and her leg was bandaged from the hit of the ice during the accident. Spencer's eyes were closed.

Spencer frowned, "What?" She hissed. She shook her head and turned to Melissa, "Melissa," Spencer shook her but her hands wouldn't touch her, they went through her. "Melissa, I am fine. No," Spencer cried.

Melissa went and sat by Spencer's bed, "You were my only family." She said, "You were all I had left, what am I gonna do now?"

A doctor entered the room, "Melissa, you need to move her to the morgue."

"I will eventually," Melissa nodded without looking at him.

"Melissa," The doctor came inside, "She's gone." He sighed, "I am sorry we did-"

"Cut the crap Robbins," Melissa gritted her teeth, "I am a doctor too, I know how this goes!" Melissa took a breath, "I just need a minute with my sister!" Melissa started sobbing, "I just need a minute..."

Spencer watched Melissa sob with a blank expression.

*

In the Gilbert house, Elena gasps for air and wakes up. Stefan is sitting on the end of her bed, watching her. She seems confused about what is going on around her. "Stefan?"

Stefan was looking down. His hair was messy and his eyes were red with a sad expression, "Hey." He looked up at Elena and forced a smiled, "I'm right here. You've been in and out for hours."

"Wh-what happened?"

"You were in an accident." Stefan cleared his throat.

"Oh my God." Elena said, "Matt is he...?"

"He's fine." Stefan said but his voice cracked.

"What's wrong, Stefan?"

"When Jeremy brought you to the hospital before all this happened, your injuries were worse than anyone knew. Melissa made a choice, she used Damon's blood to heal you." He said, "And when Rebekah ran Matt's truck off the road, you had vampire blood in your system, Elena."

Elena starts to panic. "Oh my God." She said, "Does - does that mean that I – am I dead?"

Stefan looked away, "I am sorry."

Elena looks away as tears spill from her eyes, "Where's Damon?"

Stefan's voice cracks. "He'll be here."