The Last Day

“Spencer, I have been calling you trying to get a hold of you.” Melissa said into her phone, “Jenna gave me a call saying all stuff about vampires and werewolves and sacrifices and-” Melissa took a deep breath, “Look, I just wanted you to know that I don’t think Mystic Falls is safe for you and you do not have it under control.” Melissa sighed, “So I am coming home.”  Melissa hung up after leaving Spencer the voicemail.

She was standing outside the Airport. She looked around for a cab. A cab stopped in front of her. Melissa smiled, “To Mystic Falls, please.”

*

Damon is in his bed and hears Elijah’s conversation with Spencer, Elena and Stefan. He gets up, goes downstairs and joins them.

“Tonight is the full moon.” Elijah said, “We should assume that Klaus is prepared to break the curse.”

“Spencer said that the Sun and the Moon curse is fake?” Elena asked, “That it's actually just a curse placed on Klaus.”

“Klaus is a vampire born of a werewolf bloodline.” Elijah said, “The curse has kept his werewolf aspect from manifesting. But if he breaks it... He'll be a true hybrid.”

Damon joins them, “Then why are we letting him break the curse? We can kill him today. With Bonnie.”

“Damon...” Stefan said.

“No.” Spencer said. “Bonnie can't use that much power without dying.”

Damon looked at her and shrugged, “I'll write her a great eulogy.”

Spencer rolled her eyes, “It's not an option, Damon.”

Stefan cleared his throat, “All right, how do we break this curse?”

“Well, the ritual itself is relatively straightforward.” Elijah said, “The ingredients, so to speak, you already know.”

“The moonstone.” Elena said.

“A witch will channel the power of the full moon to release the spell that's bound within the stone. After that, Klaus, being both werewolf and vampire, will sacrifice one of each.” Elijah explained.

“And where do I fit into it?” Spencer asked.

“The final part of the ritual.” Elijah takes a wooden box from the shelf, “Klaus must drink the blood of the doppelgänger... To the point of your death.”

Damon looks at Spencer. Stefan takes Elena’s hand as Elena gasped. Spencer looks at Elijah. He opens the box and takes a jar from it, “And that's where you come in.”

Elijah nodded, “This is an elixir that I acquired some 500 years ago for Katerina. It possesses mystical properties of resuscitation.”

“So I'll be dead?” Spencer asked.

“And then you won't.” Elijah said.

“That's your plan? A magical witch potion with no expiration date?” Damon scoffed. He looks at Spencer, “You want to come back to life, what about John's ring?”

“Those rings only work on humans.” Elijah said, “The doppelgänger's a supernatural occurrence. Odds are, the ring won't work.”

“I'll take those odds over your elixir.” Damon said. He turned to Spencer, “What if it doesn't work, Spencer?”

Spencer looked at him and shrugged, “Then I guess I'll just be dead.”

Damon looks at Stefan. He shrugs. Elena looked away. Damon looks at Elijah and leaves.