A Few Good Men

A man is backpacking through the woods near the church ruins. He hears the sounds of twigs snapping and turns around, coming face to face with Harper, the vampire from the tomb, who still looks hungry. “Jeez! You scared me.”

“Do you know what day it is?” Harper asked.

“Saturday.”

“And what year?”

“It's 2010. Are you OK?” The Man asked.

“Thank you.” Harper nodded.

“Wait, what's your name?”

“It's Harper, sir.”

The man inches closer to Harper, observing him. “How did you get out here? And why are you dressed like that?”

“You seem like a very nice person. I'm sorry.”

“Sorry for what?”  Harper extends his fangs and bites down on the man's neck. The man face fills with an expression of horror and he screams loudly.

*

‘Dear Diary,

I have been talking to Bonnie everyday, sometimes she just cries on the phone. She is trying to be so strong. I don’t really know what to say half the time, I don’t know what to say that would make her feel better. I don’t know if there is something that will make her feel better.

They say death is hardest on the living. It’s tough to actually say goodbye. Sometimes it’s impossible. You never really stop feeling the loss. It’s what makes things so bittersweet. We leave little bits of ourselves behind, little reminders, a lifetime of memories, photos, trinkets, things to remember us by… even when we’re gone.

-Spencer’

“Spencer?”

Spencer turned to look  at Jason who was leaning on her bedroom door. Spencer put her diary down and got up from the bed, she kept her eyes down. “You’ve been avoiding me.”

Jason avoided her eyes, “No, It’ just... I...”

“Jason it’s okay if you don’t wanna be my friend I get it,” Spencer said sighing.

“No its not that!” Jason sighed, “It’s just... we need to talk.”

Spencer stared at him with confusion.

*

Harper has killed the man in the woods. He has also taken his clothing. He pats himself down when a cell phone goes off in his pocket. Confused, Harper takes the phone out and throws it down onto the ground. He quickly leaves the woods in confusion.

*

At the Gilbert house, Elena is sitting on the porch swing, her journal laid out on her lap and her phone up to her ear as she leaves Bonnie a voicemail. “Hey, Bonnie, it's me just checking in, seeing how you're doing. We miss you here. Don't let your aunt drive you too crazy.”
 Jenna walks up onto the porch and stops to look at Elena while sipping her coffee.
“Come home soon. Love you.” Elena hangs up.

“What are you doing out here? It's cold.” Jenna asked.

“Thinking, writing. The, uh, funeral for Bonnie's grandma, it brought back a lot about mom and dad. I was wondering... you said that you would do some digging about them, the adoption.”

“Right.” Jenna nodded.

“So did you? Dig?” Elena raised her eyebrows.

“Come on inside.”