Family Ties

Elena wakes up and gets out of the bed when she hears a noise from her living room. "Hello? Jeremy? Hello?" Elena tries to turn on the light, but the power is out.

"This is Logan Fell coming to you live from the streets of Mystic Falls with breaking news of another deadly animal attack. The wild animal terrorizing the citizens of Mystic Falls has claimed another victim, local high school student Elena Gilbert. Police are certain that forensic evidence will confirm that this is the same animal responsible for recent attacks." The TV switches itself open. And the news is on. Elena becomes scared.

"You know what's coming next." Elena scared turns her head and sees Damob. Elena runs. She opens the front door, sees Damon, and slams it shut. She slowly walks towards the stairs, but Damon grabs her and bites her neck.

 Stefan wakes up with a gasp.

"Bad dream? Do you know how easy it was to get into your head just now? You really need some human blood. It might even the playing field. Football reference. Too soon." Damon said. He was sitting on the edge of Stefan's chair in the Salvatore Boarding House.

Stefan throws a knife at Damon, hitting him in the stomach. Damon pulls it out angrily. "All right, I deserved that. But I just wanted to let you know, they caught the culprit. The animal responsible for killing coach Tanner and all those people."

"What are you talking about?"

"It was a mountain lion. Really big one. It attacked a hunter this morning. It's all over the news. 'Deadly beast captured. All's well in Mystic Falls.'" Damon smirks.

"Why would you cover your tracks?" Stefan asked confusion lacing his voice.

"I've decided to stay a while. And I'm just having way too much fun here with you and Elena." Damon smirks, "An of course Spencer."

"Can't touch Spencer now." 

"Well, the vervain keeps me out of her head. Maybe that's not my target. Believe it or not, Stefan, some girls don't need my persuasion. Some girls just can't resist my good looks, my style and my charm and my unflinching ability to listen to Taylor Swift." Damon said.

Damon stabs Stefan in the stomach. It clearly hurts Stefan more than it did Damon, for Stefan falls to the floor.

"This is John Varvatos, dude. Dick move." Damon said.

Stefan painfully removes the knife. He opens his diary and writes, 'The real animal is still out there, waiting for me, challenging me to fight back, to stop him. But how do I stop a monster without becoming one myself?'

*

In the Gilbert House, Elena walks down the stairs and finds Jenna in the kitchen with the TV on. "To repeat, the animal terrorizing Mystic Falls has been caught." Logan Fell, the Reporter, said.

"Scum ball. Scum bucket." Jenna mutters.

"Who are you talking to?" Elena asked.

"Him." 

"The news guy?"

"Also known as Logan "Scum" Fell. Did your mom ever tell you why I moved away from Mystic Falls?" Jenna said.

"Oh, no way. You and him? He's cute." Elena said.

"He is not cute. There's nothing cute about him. What are you doing with that?" Jenna asked about the box Elena was holding.

"I went yesterday and got it from the safe deposit box. Mom had told Mrs. Lockwood she would loan it to the founder's council for their heritage display."