Brave New World

At the Mystic Falls hospital, Caroline wakes up with a start and goes out of the room. The nurse is the only one in sight. “Excuse me? Where is everyone?”

“It's the middle of the night honey.” The nurse answered.

“It is? Oh, uh ... have you seen my mom?”

“She left after dinner with your boyfriend and then your friends Elena and Spencer stopped by.”

“They did? Yeah, they did but they said their name was Katherine and Nikolina.” Caroline furrowed her eyebrows. She shook her head and looked at the nurse, “Can I just get something to eat?”

“Breakfast comes around seven.”

“But I'm hungry.”

“You should go back to sleep.” She goes toward the room but then she stops.

“What is that smell?” Caroline asked.

“Back to bed.” The nurse leaves but Caroline stays in the hallway. She looks everywhere and sees a blood pouch in a patient's room. She goes toward the pouch and touches it but the nurse arrives. “What are you doing in here?”

“I don't know.”

“You need to go back to bed.” The nurse said.

She takes Caroline to her room and leaves. Caroline sits down on her bed and takes the blood pouch from her pocket. She drinks but she doesn't like it and, disgusted, throws the pouch on the floor. She looks down at the pouch on the floor, climbs down from her bed and picks it up. She starts drinking again and her fangs appear.

*

“Spence c’mon! Get up! Please, it’s been days.” Elena begged.

“Leave me alone,” Spencer groaned pulling the covers over her.

“The funeral was nice, everybody said nice stuff. I am sure Veronica would have loved it. Okay?” Spencer just nodded at Elena’s weak attempt to cheer her up. “Please get up.”

“No,” Spencer said stubbornly.

“Well, if it makes you feel better Caroline is doing great.” Spencer smiled.

“That's good, that’s great.” Spencer tried to smile.

“And I hate Damon,” Elena said getting into bed with Spencer. “He killed Jeremy.”

“What!?” Spencer yelled getting up making the covers fall off.

“Don’t worry, Jer was wearing John’s ring. But Damon killed him Spence; Katherine undid everything that was good about him.” Spencer sat there with her mouth wide open. “And today is the carnival, and you are coming. We have to make Caroline proud. C’mon please. It’s been 3 days you haven’t done anything.” Elena said trying to change the topic.

“You know what, yeah. I’ll meet you there,” Spencer said.

Elena smiled.

*

Everyone is preparing the carnival. Bonnie and Elena are taking care of everything. Bonnie looked at Elena, “Katherine looked just like you, it was freakish.”

“She is my ancestor. Hey, I moved the student booth into the cafeteria.” Elena said.

“Your vampire ancestor and she didn't just resemble you like a family member would. She was you.”

Elena shrugged, “I don't know, I can't explain it. It's creepy, that's all I got.”

Bonnie said, “How do you know she's not still out there pretending to be you?”