Chapter 49: A potion to save a life

Merida

I gasped breathlessy after running for so long, my legs burned and my stomach felt twisted as I crouched down heaving in ragged breaths.  Hiccup had won, Hiccup and his stupid hooligans. But he had lost someone too.
I should be  happy shouldn't I? I got what I wanted-my revenge-yet I still felt empty, as if that wasn't enough or the tiny hole, that I had once thought could be filled by this petty act of vengeance, had now been turned into a humungous crater of doubt... and guilt.

I should be happy, I got what I wanted. I've hurt Hiccup where it will hurt the most; his heart. It will kill him from the inside and out, like an open wound manifesting, every little thing triggering his loss of his dear stupid wife.
And Astrid? She's bleeding out on the floor in that stingy cabin or in Gothis hut, either dead or dying. Nothing could save her, nothing. Well... maybe something.
But why do I feel so awful about it? Astrids death and Hiccups pain is what I've wanted all along isn't it? For them to suffer just like I am.

I never knew that the power of love can be so strong between them and maybe, just maybe, it wasn't about revenge at all. Maybe it was about having what they had. But not taking it, or destroying it, but making it into something for myself.

Thinking that now kind of makes me feel stupid. I mean me? Princess Merida of Dunbroch who is more attached to her bow and arrow than she could ever be to any man! At least, that's what everybody else thought.
But what if that was all an illusion, not coming from the heart but from my head, a mere picture or photograph that my mind had interpreted, and everyone else, into something simple but yet completely, obviously, untrue.

I can love. I want love. I need love. But not with Hiccup.

Oh Gods, what had I done? In my conquest for true love I had forgotten the one thing that would truly lead me right; my heart. And now it was left empty of any love or happiness, but instead filled to the brim with guilt and sadness.
I had let my vengeance get in the way, and I destroyed something that I had been pining and longing for. A forever.

I had to do something! I had been gone for 2 weeks, running around Berk like a mad scotswoman, searching for the ships that had deserted us with other Beserker troops.
But I had to tell someone, and if that meant getting caught by some clueless Berkian then so be it. At least I'd get to Hiccup faster.

Hiccup

My eyes were left wide in shock, then turned into raging balls of fire as I eyed my intruder. One of Astrids kidnappers. One of Astrids killers. Merida of Dunbroch.
I pulled Stoick off of my lap planting him to the side of me before unsheathing my sword, letting the monstrous nightmares saliva coating my blade spurt to life with fire.

I pointed the blade towards Merida, witnessing her gulp loudly in fear as o edged closer towards her.
"If you know what's good for you," I snarled, seething with rage and my blade itching for this small welcome act of vengeance. "You better leave now, before I run you through like the murderous monster you are."

But she only shook her head, refusing to move an inch, her hands up in a defensive manner but that wouldn't save her.
I whipped my blade at her hand and she wailed in pain as the cut festered with burning blisters.
"I. Said. Leave." I spat, trying to rein in my temper, despite my anger at this moment I still had enough honour not to kill someone, even someone who was one of the reasons for my wife's suffering, in front of my own son. I'm not my father. He was strong, and if I couldn't kill this witch in cold blood then I guess that made me weak.

"No." She repeated and I swiped again, but this time at her other hand and she let out another agonised squeal as again blisters formed on her hand.
"Go." I said again, "and that is the last time I tell you before I run you through right here and now." I warned her sharply, good riddance to honour, she killed my wife. My Astrid.
Yet she still stood her ground. And admist my anger, I had to admire her bravery and courage to still stand up to me.
"No," she said more sternly this time, and she even had the audacity to glare at me! "I will not cower, or run, Hiccup."

Instead I merely said, my voice deadly quiet as I lunged at her which she quickly dodged, "That was your last chance." I lunged again, this time meeting part of her arm and she screeched in pain. I chuckled darkly, "That was for kidnapping Astrid," she dodged my sword once again, just missing her, and when I turned to strike her once more saying, "And this is for..." I trailed off as I saw Merida gripping my only son in a vise-like grip firmly, her fingers indenting the skin of his arms as she held him.

I turned the fire off and dropped my sword to the floor, falling to my knees in despair. "P-please, no. Don't. Not my son. Not him as well." I sobbed, hating being this weak in front of my enemy, and leading me to beg on my knees.
But then the monster said, "I'm not going to hurt him Hiccup, I'm here to save Astrid." And my world stopped.

HEY GUYS! SO IT LOOKS LIKE THERE MIGHT BE A HAPPY ENDING AFTER ALL... OR IT COULD JUST ALL BE A TRICK, COMMENT YOUR THOUGHTS!

I'M DOGSITTING FOR MY AUNT AND UNCLE AT THE MOMENT SO I'VE HAD PLENTY OF TIME TO WRITE THIS! IT'S TAKEN ME ABOUT AN 1-2 HOUR/S TO GET IT JUST RIGHT...

Question: Do you guys have any pets, and what's the best thing you love about them?

I've got, as you all may know, 2 boar (boy) guinea pigs named Fudge and Rocky and what I love about them is their different personalities; Rocky is the quiet one who will peep through the bars silently wanting some attention and veggies or grass (their favourite), but he loves a good cuddle but not so much the brushing and will fall asleep in my arms :). He is a long-haired guinea pig. Fudge however is the complete opposite, not only is he a short-haired guinea pig but he's very outgoing, maybe too outgoing and will chase my hand around when I'm spot cleaning, trying to nip, which basically means 'I want hay!'. He is really against being held though but I'm trying to cuddle that out of him...

ANYWAY...

SO WAS IT GOOD?

BAD?

PLEASE COMMENT, VOTE AND FOLLOW!

YOUR AUTHOR,

~ Toothlessfollower14 aka Chloe xx