Chapter 11: back

Astrid

I push myself against the doors trying to stop the ferocious wind from blowing us away and the water from drenching us as it poured through the doors.

I hear another crash of thunder, as another blast of wind attempts to blow the giant great hall doors open, drenching me in rain water.

"almost there!" I shout over the raging storm outside as we hear the familiar sound of the doors slamming shut. "now make sure it's locked!" I shout, wiping myself down with a piece of woolen blanket. I shiver slightly in the cold, "and somebody light that fire!" I shout at them, noticing that the fire had been smothered by the wind which had managed to intrude the warmth of the hall.

As my eyes dart around the big but still confined room I see dragons stood around there masters, protecting them, trying to keep them warm. There bodies letting off radiations of warmth and heat with every breath. All the vikings snuggle close to them, some dozing off, even with the storm outside. I smile slightly looking at all the happy vikings together, smiles spread across there face, they were loved, free, happy and a family, all together.

"It's been a long time since I've seen that smile..." somebody murmurs behind me, I turn around quickly, meeting the gaze of an emerald green eyed boy.

"Hiccup!" I lunge at him, it takes him a few moments to register what's happening before I feel his arms entrapping me tightly, engulfing me in his warmth. "I'm so glad you're ok!" I exclaim, holding him tighter and closer than before.

"c-can't breath..." he gasps.

"oh right, sorry!" I chuckle. It takes a moment for him to catch his breath due to my death grip.

He then surprisingly moves forward holding my cheeks with his hands and meeting my lips with his soft ones, I deepen it pulling him closer but then we are interrupted with wolf whistles as the great hall erupted with cheers from the villagers.

Hiccup pulls away chuckling slightly as he examines my eyes intently, taking in every single detail. He strokes my cheek lovingly, not saying a single word as he just looks at me. His eyes move to my lips, looking at them and then tracing them with his rough, worked fingers.

"what?" I giggle slightly, embarrassed by his small actions. His gaze still lingers at my lips, his small fingers examining them. After a few moments, which feels like hours, his eyes finally meet mine once again, a happy smile appearing on his face.

"you're back!" he exclaims excitedly spinning me around uncontrollably.

"I didn't go anywhere," I say confusedly, looking into his eyes, searching for an explanation of his sudden excited outburst.

"in reality no, but you've been gone for so many years. I have missed your smiles, your laughs, your clear blue eyes..." he says then smashing his lips against mine.

"Hiccup, everyone can see us!" I mumble as he starts planting small kisses all over my face.

"I don't care..." he says, as he finally stops, gripping my cheeks with his hands. "I love you..." this shocked me slightly, it was different, so sincere so true.

For the first time in 5 years I felt free, happy. No problems, fears or loss pulling me back or holding me down against the ground preventing me from getting up, standing tall, becoming myself. The fearless Astrid Hofferson. Scratch that, Haddock. For the first time in what seemed like forever I let the following four words escape my soft lips, longing for his touch, longing for his chafed lips against mine, for his hard stubble to brush against my smooth skin.

"I love you too!" I breathe, a loving smile becomes clear on his face. After all these years of isolating myself from everybody else, from my friends, the village, Stormfly and even Hiccup, I felt no need to. I felt guilty for shutting him out, for letting all the blame fall on him, he had spent so many years trying to comfort me, to get me back to pull me back onto my unsteady feet.

Hiccup pulls me closer as his lips meet mine once again. I put my hands on his cheek, tracing his small scar on his chin, below his lips, but it no longer bothered me.

Nothing seemed to bother me, I needed to let go of the past and look forward into the near future, granted I will never forget about my baby, I will never lose hope that he will someday find his way back to me, back home. But Hiccup was right, as he had been for so many years, it was time to let go. Although I never truly will, I'll have to try for Hiccup, for us, I can't just drown in my sorrows forever more. I can't live like this anymore, so I let's everything go, all my worries and sadness seems to fade away as I look into those emerald green eyes.

My fingers trace his rough, spiked stubble on his cheeks and chin. I think for a moment before saying,

"you need to shave," he chuckles at my random conversation starter with the simple reply of,

"later..." I smile at his short reply. I feel his grip around my waist tighten as he pulls me closer towards his chest where I can feel his muscles jerk with every movement. He snuggles his head into my neck, making me giggle slightly due to it making me ticklish.

He chuckles moving his head on top of mine. I snake my arms around his neck as his tightens around my small waist, pulling me impossibly closer. I sigh heavily, nuzzling my petite head into his warm chest, listening to his heart beat soothingly in a calming rythm. I feel his warm breath on the top of my head, blowing at my golden blonde hair. I smile, I'm finally safe, I'm finally happy, and I'm once again in love...

HEY GUYS! WELL AT LEAST ASTRIDS NOT IN A DEEP DEPRESSION ANYMORE HEY? HEHE! I HOPE YOU ENJOYED THIS CHAPTER AS I SURE ENJOYED WRITING IT! I MISSED ALL OF THESE SMALL BUT MEMOROUS HICCSTRID MOMENTS...

ANYWAYS WAS IT GOOD?

BAD?

PLEASE COMMENT, VOTE AND FOLLOW!