Chapter 29: The trap!

Astreen

"do you think that will do it?" I ask Tiran, throwing on another lot of freshly chopped logs onto the fire. Almost immediately the fore reciprocates, mountain load of smoke piling ever higher and thicker than before due to the new fuel.

"yeah, that should do it." he nods at me in confirmation, messing with the arrow that he had been working on all morning.

"is it ready?" he turns to me, still tweeting it a bit.

"almost, just need to- perfect!" he exclaims, admiring his handiwork.

"well done." I acknowledge, "ready now?" I ask again.

"yes, we'll be ready when they come. Won't even know what hit them." he grins at me, such a change from the fisherman I once knew, but we will do anything to find our son, no matter if it's torture.

I watch observantly as he begins to draw the arrow along the arrow rest that he had also made. Luckily, we had salvaged a dagger, perfect for the arrow. Tge rest was made out of thin vines and wood from the surrounding trees which we had also used for the bonfire. The perfect trap.

We had purposefully made the fire in an opening in the forest, so that the smoke would be more clear. Those two nitwits that we had caught earlier as our bait, hostages, whatever you want to call them. After a while of questioning those muppets and getting nowhere, we chose to resort to some more desperate but called for measures.

"how much longer do you think?" I ask, looking up into the sky, trying to find any source of movement.

"I'd say, about now." Tiran whistles inbetween his teeth, drawing the bow back up to his ear. My eyes follow his gaze, and sure enough on the back of a dragon is just what we need. "ready?" he asks me insecurely.

I nod, anything to get our son back. "ready." I confirm, watching the arrow soar off into the distance at a tremendous speed. Until... perfect hit.

Astrid

My eyes still feel heavy, the brightness of the sun breaking through the thin covering of my eyelids, forcing them open despite the resistance not to. I feel something cool and soft touch my arm, suddenly making me cringe and wince in pain only to find that I can't move.

This finally provokes my eyes to open, pulling on whatever is holding me in place.

"careful," someone ushers me, their voice is sweet, soft, and so familiar but is impossible to recognise. "you'll make it worse." the same female voice warns, although the tone still doesn't change. Where do I know that voice from?

My eyes blink open, blinking the sleep that had formed away and allowing the decending sun to enter my eyes, making them water. After a few more precious moments pass, my eyes gradually open to the sight of surrounding trees, green, birds, and...

"Stormfly!" I squeal, pulling on my limbs lamely, knowing that I couldn't escape. Somehow I felt weak and vulnerable.

"sh," the voice lulls me to calm me again, and hesitantly I obey giving up. "you've lost a lot of blood, stay calm, she's alright." she informs me, assuring me. Reluctantly, I allow my head to droop, facing the ground.

"w-what-" I begin, but am stopped by the feeling of someone's finger being pressed against my lips.

"don't speak, you're weak, you need your strength." I try not to question what she means by that, allowing her to tend to my wounds.

After a while, the weird substance that she's been dabbing on my arm for a while begins to soothe the searing pain untok it's nothing.

"there, that looks better." she compliments herself. "how are you feeling?" she asks, weird how I'm restrained, been shot in the arm possibly by her and she's asking 'how are you feeling?'.

"fine," I lie smoothly, pulling a little bit harder on the restraints. "I'm good now, thanks."

"you're welcome." she says.

Eventually, despite still feeling a tad weak I manage to lift my head up to meet my kidnapper and saviour. But what I see in front of me, drains all the colour from my once colourful and lively face. My mouth becoming dry and my eyes beginning to water again, only managing to rasp out,

"mum?"

HEY GUYS! DOUBLE UPDATE WHOOP! WHOOP!

BEEN WAITING A WHILE TO WRITE THIS ONE, BELIEVE ME, AND I THINK IT DIDN'T TURN OUT TOO BADLY, WHAT DO YOU THINK?

WAS IT GOOD?

BAD?

PLEASE COMMENT, VOTE AND FOLLOW!