Chapter 34: Meeting the in-laws

Astrid

Now, there are many moments that I wish that I had never been part of. Many awkward ones that you wish would just suddenly dissapear as if nothing had happened at all. After many breath quenching hugs with my long lost parents I certainly wasn't expecting a flaming sword to ckme crashing through the trees, landing dagger first into the ground leaving burnt mud in it's wake. In closer inspection I knew right way who had thrown it, Hiccup. Snotlout must have found him, I mean I know I told him to but now, really?

Of course I had thought in the past of what it might of been like, Hiccup meeting my parents I mean. There had been very welcoming thoughts on this moment, others not so much. Never in any of my wildest dreams had I ever expected my husband, Hiccup, to come bundling through the trees as if he had been practicing this exact routine for this not so perfect moment.  Another flaming sword in hand, a glare so fierce it could shoot daggers right through me. Unfortunately, to make matters worse I was still in the process of hugging my parents - which we had seemed to be doing for a while now. My mouth set agape, seeing my very own husband set to rescue me no less.

"Get away from- Astrid?" He starts, his voice almost making me scared, almost, then ending with a rather confused version of my name.

"Hiccup?" I said, astonished whilst trying to gather my bearings. Certainly not the best moment in the world.

"Hiccup?" My father growled out, releasing me from his bear hug and turning towards the intruder. Thankfully, my mother held him back preventing him from pouncing at Hiccup.

"Sh-should I know you?" Hiccup asked, standing up from his crouched position and lifting his sword slightly, probably to look - at the least - a bit frightening.

"No, Hiccup." I cleared my throat to relieve the tension that had somehow clouded around us in the short time space of Hiccup being here. "This is-" I stutter, why am I stuttering? I can't be stuttering, I'm the fearless Astrid Hofferson for peats sake!

"Her mother, I'm Astreen, and her father, Tiran." My mother helped me, obviously aware of the boys attitudes towards one another.

"And you." My father growled out through gritted teeth, directed at Hiccup sounding less like a question but more of a statement. "Who are you?"

"Hiccup, sir." Hiccup stuttered, lowering his sword slightly, his lower lip trembling.

"I got that!" He said exasperated, rolling his eyes and shrugging his arm out of my mother's grip.

"Dad," I warned him, moving inbetween Hiccup and my father before they did something I would regret that I didn't stop. "Leave him alone." He turns to me, his eyes narrowing in on me.

"Who is he Astrid?" He breathed, turning completely my way and edging closer.

"Mum, Dad," I said as brightly as I could, leaving my father and mother to go stand by Hiccup who was still looking as shocked as I had been a few moments ago. "This is my husband of 5 years, Hiccup."

My father's eyes widened instantly, along with my mothers flicking between both me and Hiccup. Hiccups breathing, I noticed, intensified as he lifted his newly made inferno higher.

"You married the Chiefs son?!" My fathers loud voice boomed throughout the small opening in the forest, making me jump several inches into the air, followed by the screeching of birds swiftly making their exit. If only we could.

His response had shocked me, he is my father after all, shouldn't he be happy for me? Even though I had been so young when my mother and father had gone, I still remembered the obvious good relationship that my father shared with Stoick, some could even say that they were insperable. Most of my fathers stories had involved them both, ones of which I had admired at the time. Now - not so much. So when mother and father didn't come home one night like they should,  I knew instantly that something was wrong.

Later on, Stoick had came to visit. I remembered being scared, non compliant, as the chief, along with Gobber, tried to soothe me into sleep. The first night that I was without my father's heroic stories and mothers lulling lullabies. My father had been almost like an uncle to Hiccup, they were that close. But all I could see in my father's once adorning eyes now was fury, scorn, hatred. Hatred for one man. Hiccup.

"YOU MARRIED THE CHIEFS SON!" This time it had gotten even louder you could the distant roars of disturbed dragons, who were used to peace seeing as we were in a forest.

Without notice my father lunged at Hiccup. His arms out in a throttling position as I leapt forward, along with my mother to try and hold him back. Hiccup just cowered back, Toothless leaping in front of him, no doubt to protect him, teeth bared ready to attack at any moment. Definitely not the sort of introduction I was expecting. My father paled instantly, standing stock still along with my mother.

"Night fury..." they both gasped out before fainting one on top of the other. Oh great.

HEY GUYS! SORRY IT TOOK ME AWHILE, I ACTUALLY WROTE THIS AS SOON AS I FINISHED THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER, BUT FELT AS IF IT WASN'T QUITE RIGHT. SO I'VE KIND OF BEEN DELETING IT AND THEN REWRITING SO I'M SORRY ABOUT THAT! SORRY IT'S SO SHORT! I KIND OF DIDN'T WANT TO PUSH MYSELF TOO MUCH IN CASE IT TURNED OUT LIKE ABSOLUTE RUBBISH DUE TO WRITERS BLOCK.

ALSO HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT IT'S 2015 ALREADY! I WAS UP WATCHING THE LONDON FIREWORKS ON TV. THEY WERE PRETTY COOL!

QUESTION: What did you guys do to celebrate the new year?

NEXT CHAPTER WILL BE EITHER LATER TODAY OR TOMORROW. SEE YOU THEN!

WAS IT GOOD?

BAD?

PLEASE COMMENT, VOTE AND FOLLOW!