Chapter 5: Matthew

Astreen (a/n new character!)

The food had been scarce with every passing day. The fish getting less and less with every catch.

The rather large and mouldy wooden boat, rocks back and forth in the strong wind as the waves beat heavily against the wooden planks of the boat. We had been at sea for nearly a month now and we were both starving, me and my husband Tiran. It had been so long since we had even seen a sight of land, we had no idea where we were going, or where we were, but we didn't care. We were together and that's all that matters for now.

"another day's catch gone!" he shouts into the biting wind. I pull the shawl around my body, enclosing myself with warmth. I felt my tummy grumble. "I'm sorry," he says, I stand up from the wooden crate of which I had been sitting on for a while now.

"it's not your fault, you shouldn't blame yourself..." I say stroking his cheek softly and reassuringly.

"if it weren't for these pesky dragons-"

"calm down, please," I say stroking his light blonde hair. I hated it when he got angry, cursing the God's above and anything down below. He would give up all of his food, just to feed me.

We had been trying for a baby for so long without any luck. I had, had so many miscarriages.

He sighs heavily, standing up from his crouching position, pulling me into a tight embrace. "it wouldn't be like this if it wasn't for Stoick..."

"I know," I reply stroking his back calmingly. My memory strokes back to that day, the day that set our fate before us. The day we lost our daughter forever.  I sigh, breathing in his sweet scent. After we lost her, everything changed...

"I guess we better try again..." he says, throwing the net into the dangerous and raging waves below. I nod, settling myself back onto the crate.

"don't worry, the time will come," he says, sitting next to me and touching my empty abdomen. We prayed every night for our family to start again, for us to find our daughter, but they were never answered.

"I hope..." I say simply. He sighs, kissing my forehead lightly before scanning the net.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"there's something in the net!" he shouts, waking me from my slumbler.

"really?" I say surprised, it's been so long without a proper meal. We've had to eat stowaway rats and gulls who we'd shot out of the sky.

I walk over, picking up my blanket and wrapping it tightly around me, protecting me from the icy cold which surrounds our boat.

"it's heavy..." he grunts, trying to pull it out of the vast ocean below. "got it!" he says as it lands with a few thump on the planks of the boat.

"what is it?" I say, examining it, it was covered in seaweed but looked like a small basket.

"no idea, maybe there's jewels inside?" I snigger slightly, as if. We jump back slightly as we hear something like muffled crying coming from inside the boat.

"d-do you hear that?" I say, looking at him. He nods slightly unlocking the lid and peaking inside. The crying stops suddenly as the most beautiful baby, looks up at us. "I-its a baby," it reaches out its arms, begging for attention. I lean down hesitantly taking the small bundle in my arms.

"our prayers have been answered... Thank you..." my husband mutters to no one in particular. I smile up at him, I haven't felt like this since I last held my daughter.

"it's a boy," he walks over slowly, peaking in through the cottoned blanket. He then takes me and the baby in his arms.

"we're a family again..." he says, I nod looking at this amazing creation before us, his green eyes shining in the sunlight, freckles covering his small nose and chubby cheeks. He was so small. Most iconic by the small scar or mark on his right cheek which looked slightly like a dragon, probably caused in the ocean.

"I'm going to call you-"

"Matthew," Tiran says, "a gift from God," I nod my head agreeing with his decision as I shift my gaze back towards Matthew, who is now sleeping my arms, sucking his small thumb. I shake my head tutting.

Matthew...

HEY GUYS! THANK YOU TO MoreHiccStridFanfics FOR GIVING ME THE NAME MATTHEW! GO FOLLOW AND READ HER AMAZING STORY, YOU WON'T BE DISSAPOINTED!
ANYWAYS HERES A LITTLE PUZZLE PIECE HEHE
ANYWAYS WAS IT GOOD?
BAD?
PLEASE COMMENT, VOTE AND FOLLOW!