Chapter 21: Similarities

Hiccup

My hands involuntarily reached to scratch the back of my neck, just as Matthews did too. weird, I thought. My eyes wandered back to Astrid, who was now at my side, a small smile gracing her angelic, flawless face.

"So.." I start, "would you like to come down here Matthew?" I asked him, but he didn't seem to move. "we have pancakes," (a/n don't think they were even around then but oh well!) at that he bolted down the stairs. His eyes lit up like a firefly. He looked like any other child. Normal.

"really?" he said, he looked and sounded astonished as if he must be dreaming.

"of course!" I said, Astrid walked up to him as he backed away. "hey its ok bud, this is my wife, Astrid," I then turned to Astrid, "Astrid, Matthew." the small boy gripped onto the back of my shirt, ducking behind my legs. Astrid then began to back away, meeting my gaze briefly before quickly drawing it back to the shy boy. His hands were small, but he had a vice like grip, his nuckles whitening due to hus strong hold.

"hi," he managed to get out before cowering back behind me.

"come on," I urged him, "don't be afraid."

"I'm not afraid!" he spoke defiantly. His grip slackened as he glared at me, if looks could kill I would be dead. But the strange thing was, although the point was to scare me I couldn't help but laugh at his sudden ferocity. This seemed to tilt the edges of his mouth upward slightly, but I was determined to make them go all the way. From ear to ear.

So, due to instinct, I gripped him from under the arms and spun him round and round the room. His fits of giggles and happy squeals filled the room and the awkward silence.

"stop! Stop!" he squeaked, inbetween fits of laughter. At last I came to a stop. Placing him down back onto his own two feet he continued to spin. "I'm dizzy now," he stated the obvious. I chuckled, trying get to stop the room from spinning myself. "you're so silly daddy." The room stopped spinning. My eyes didn't move away from him. A faint gasp filled the now silence of the room. All air had escaped my lungs. What was I supposed to say to that?

Just then, I instantly knew who had gasped. It was Astrid. Matthew seemed to be so oblivious and innocent to his outburst. Still spinning uncontrollably around the room.

"what?" he asked, his eyes glistening with such innocence it was impossible to think whether he had actually said what I think he just said or not.

"n-nothing," I said, trying to place a smile on my face, but for some reason all my muscles had slackened and not one of them would reciprocate to what I was telling them to do.

"pancakes anyone?" Astrid seemed to sense my unease, obviously she had heard everything and wouldn't hear the end of it later. Sometimes I wish I could just chew my own ears off, but then I guess that wouldn't be such a good idea after all, I'll be needing those more than anything.

"yippee!" Matthew jumped up and down, bouncing eagerly from foot to foot. This seemed to break me out of my trance and for a small smile to tug at the end of my lips.

"yeah, come on squirt, I'm hungry!"

Astrid

Heart, what heart? To be honest I think it had stopped beating that or it was no longer in my chest. More like in my throat maybe, or it could be the cause of the throbbing in my ears. Had I gone slightly deaf or just misheard what he had said.

Matthew jumped around giddily absolutely oblivious to anything that may have slipped out of his mouth and I didn't want him to lose his sense of free will and happiness at this very moment.

Just watching Hiccup swing him round the room made me smile. But another feeling seemed to appear too. Worry, maybe? But for what?

I couldn't ponder that much more though. Looking at Hiccup I could already tell that I had certainly not been the only one to gave heard it. Speechless Hiccup, something new and irregular for once. I tried to stifle a giggle before asking,

"pancakes anyone?" whilst Hiccup and Matthew had been playing around I had managed to make at least two pancakes ready for serving and I wasn't about to let them go to waste just due to a gormless Hiccup.

Finally, I noticed that Hiccup was smiling with a,

"yeah, come on squirt, I'm hungry!" was all it took. Hiccup was back from dreamland, or wherever he had just got lost to.

HEY GUYS! SHORT? SORRY! SUFFERING FROM WRITERS BLOCK AND MANY OF YOU WILL PROBABLY KNOW THAT WRITING THOUGH IT ISN'T EASY! NOW GOT A LIME GREEN SPLINT FOR MY FINGER SO I CAN MOVE IT AT ALL FOR 4 WEEKS! OF COURSE I HAVE TO EXCERCISE THEM 3 TIMES A DAY. BUT ENOUGH OF THAT...

WAS IT GOOD?

BAD?

PLEASE COMMENT, VOTE AND FOLLOW!