Chapter 27: Confession (2)

AS PROMISED, HERE IT IS!

Hiccup

Soon enough, the sky was already losing its bright blue colour, turning into a more orange-pink tone due to the dissapearing sun.

Somehow it had managed to creep across the sky, from East to West, without either of us noticing. Time almost flew as fast as Toothless at his best.

My stomach rumbled low in the pits of my stomach, begging for some fuel to keep the fire burning. I groaned at the sudden ache that surfaced along with it. That's what you get for missing lunch, I scolded myself, not to mention eating nothing for breakfast, despite Astrids raving pancakes which I still didn't quite trust. Not that I was insulting her amazing cooking skills of anything, no way. It's just a little too... overcooked for my liking.

"ew, did you just fart?" a small giggle erupted from in front of me, bouncing up and down like Toothless did whenever feeding time came around. An ear splitting grin spread widely all across his flushed face, probably due to the wind. I noticed that his lips had become chapped, and his eyes were oddly watery. We may have been flying a bit too fast.

I scoffed at his funny, but incredibly false accusation, "no, I did not fart!" I pretended to look offended, this trick usually working on Astrid, but he was obviously too clever for that. Crossing his small arms across his chest, turning around to face me, despite Toothless still speeding across the sky as fast as ever.

"did too!" he said, pointing an accusing finger after freeing his right arm from his left.

"did not!"

"did too!"

"not!"

"did!"

"n-"

"did-did-did-did-did-did!" he chanted over and over again, knowing he'd won. A triumphant smirk graced his lips. For a boy so young, he had some mighty self - esteem. Better than I ever did at his age anyway. But I guess he probably learnt all that from his father.

Father. What was this feeling I felt? As if someone was tearing my heart into tiny little pieces, ready to litter on the ground for Terrible Terrors to scrap over. His father must be a great man. A hero. A fighter. A swordsman. A dragon rider. Not like me.

Maybe it was the thought of being a father but never receiving the chance to be one - that was snatched away from me a long time ago - that made me feel so... deflated. Vulnerable even. As if I had nothing left to prove, because nothing I seemed to do ever worked out.

"I was only Joking, Hiccup." a small voice butted into my train of thought. "I didn't want to make you feel sad, I'm sorry." his mouth tipped down slightly into a small frown, his eyes growing larger just making them cuter if that was even humanely possible.

His guilty expression, and sudden blame game caused me to chuckle, "hey, it's nothing. I know you were just joking." he visibly relaxed, sagging his shoulders in relief as if he'd just been let off the hook for something really dreadful.

"that's good." he muttered, relieved. A few moments of utter peace and silence passed, until, "Hiccup...?" it took me a few more seconds to realise that Matthew was trying to speak to me.

"hm," I murmured, patting Toothless' scaly side as we flew on, earning me a low purr from him.

"what's your dad like?" my back went rigid, my face paled automatically. Everyone knew who my father was, what he had achieved, his death. Of course all of these facts had been mixed among many rumours. False rumours, might I add.

Rumours like, 'he was swallowed whole' or 'He was butchered to death'. But really that was far from the truth. He had been the greatest Chief, Warrior, Father - although at times he wasn't - Berk had ever seen, or had. Saving me from Toothless - Drago - something I will never be able to pay him back for.

"my father..." I began, trying to find the right words to describe him. After not having to for many years, it's quite hard to try to. Normally, you'd expect me of all people to have gotten over his death by now, but how can you get over someone who was your everything? Your idol, your only guardian, your... father. It just wasn't that simple, no matter what people said or did, he was still there. A part of him that will never go away, won't be able to drive me to become who he wanted me to be. It's as if I'm doing something wrong, and I can feel it, it's like it's right here under my nose. In plain sight. "he..." my voice faded, as I yet again attempted to explain. My voice suddenly becoming muted and distant.

"yeah, mine too." Matthew sighed, turning around to face me. "Mine has always been so stubborn, always pointing towards something that I knew he wanted but I didn't. Forcing me to become someone I'm not." His left arm, reached for mine, the other supporting him on Toothless, supposedly so he doesn't fall off. "do you ever feel like that?"

"sometimes." I admitted, eventually finding my voice. "but," I breathed a heavy sigh before continuing what I was about to say. "my father... my father is... dead." Matthews eyes widened, and then crinkled at the sides. His grip tightening on my arm.

"oh." he replied. "I think mine is too." his eyes glistened with fresh tears in the almost-moonlight.

"no, no, don't think like that." I told him, slowing Toothless down and then landing on a near by sea stack to let him rest. "trust me, I know better than to give up hope, you just have to-"

"no, you don't understand, I don't think my dad is my real dad." he said. I hopped off of Toothless, then lifted Matthew off with me to allow Toothless to sniff around.

My eyebrows furrowed, "what do you mean?"

"I overheard my mummy and daddy arguing one night, about me. Daddy was shouting about not having a real son, one that was like him. Whilst Mummy was screaming back at him, defending me." he said seriously. "I don't have a daddy!" he wailed suddenly, clasping his arms around my mid thigh - the only possible place that he could reach.

What was I to say to that?

HEY GUYS! I AM SO HAPPY TODAY, YOU HAVE NO IDEA!

1. I GOT MY SPLINT OFF TODAY, ALTHOUGH MY FINGER STILL ACHES A BIT, AT LEAST IT'S BETTER AND SPLINTLESS! LOL!

2. I'M BETTER! THIS COUGH STILL HASN'T GONE THOUGH! THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR THE GET WELLS ON THE PREVIOUS AUTHORS NOTE! MEANS A LOT THAT YOU GUYS CARE, AND IT WAS AWESOME FINDING OUT WHAT PRESENTS YOU'RE GETTING; SOUNDS LIKE YOU'RE GOING HAVE AN AMAZING CHRISTMAS!

3. I'M GOING TO BUILD-A-BEAR TOMORROW (SATURDAY) TO GET A TOOTHLESS PLUSH! I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOREVER TO GET ONE EVER SINCE THEY CAME OUT IN THE SUMMER. UNFORTUANATELY THEY WENT OUT OF STOCK REALLY QUICK, SO I COULDN'T GET ONE :-( BUT I'M HOPING I CAN GET ONE TOMORROW! SO EXCITED! XD

QUESTION: What you guys doing for Christmas?

WAS IT GOOD?

BAD?

PLEASE COMMENT, VOTE AND FOLLOW!