Chapter 50: Dunbroch

Dunbroch picture for you guys to get the imagery better because I'm a horrible describer :)

HEY GUYS, SORRY FOR THE AUTHORS NOTE AT THE START BUT I JUST WANTED TO NOTIFY YOU THAT I HAVE SHORTENED THE PERIOD SINCE THE BATTLE TO A WEEK; SO HICCUP HAS ONLY BEEN MOURNING FOR A WEEK. YOU GUYS WILL FIND OUT WHY PRETTY SOON. BUT FOR NOW...

Hiccup

"Daddy, why can't I go with you?" Stoick looked up at me with those big green eyes, still half asleep seeing as he'd just woken up. Yet he seemed to be sitting straight up, wide awake in bed, staring right at me.
I'd been sitting on the edge dressing into my flying suit as I prepared myself for the long journey ahead of me tomorrow, and was hoping to leave before sunrise. And before Stoick woke up... but that was not to be.

Sighing, I gave him a small half smile, turning around to face him and tossle his hair roughly; which made him give a little giggle, "Someone has got to be the man of the house." I told him, tugging him close, "Who else is going to look after the village whilst I'm away, or the dragons, or Astrids parents?" I chuckled at that-they could be quite a handful-yet, unexpectedly, Stoick didn't. He didn't even give me a smile.

"But I can't." He told me, his eyes suddenly beginning to tear up. But I couldn't blame him, he'd witnessed more than any small child his age should ever see, he'd lost more than any had lost and then miraculously found it again... only to lose it once more. He must've been traumatised, those memories imbedded inside his head, never to forget.
And in that moment he seemed so innocent so lost, as if he'd never heard a compliment or had a pick me up in his entire life, other than from himself which wasn't much good if that only meant giving himself criticism. So I asked him,

"Why not?" He blinked, fighting back the tears before he balled up his hands into small, tight fists.

"I'm just... y'know... look at me!" He said, gesturing to himself. "I'm just a skinny Fishbone, good for nothing. I'm too small, too weak. I can't do anything right. I couldn't even protect mommy!" Tears were now falling down his face in torrents, glistening in the nearby lamp light. He turned his head towards the bed, letting them fall down aimlessly.
It shouldn't be him trying to protect Astrid, it should have been me, and him putting the blame on himself was heartbreaking. He had seen his own mother die!
And I definitely know what it feels like to lose someone like that, a parent...

Stopping my own wayward thoughts, I quickly reached forward, brushing his small salty tears away with my fingertips.

"But that's not what I see," I said, watching him closely as his head tilted back up, those grass green eyes meeting my own, his still glistening with yet more unshed tears. "What I see is a strong young boy, who thinks that he is still too small or young to be who he truly is-a warrior, just like his Ancestors, and the greatest dragon rider that ever lived; it's in your blood." My eyes were still examine his, as I noticed a smile had now broken out onto his face, his eyes seemed to light up in what little light allowed me to see in those enlightened pools.

"Really?" He asked me hesitantly not sure if I was actually telling him the truth.

"Really." I told him with finality, "That's who you are son. You're no Fishbone, I should know, and I could never be more proud of you." I told him honestly, wiping and drying any remaining tears off his face.
Suddenly the wind was swept out of my lungs as he leapt up and charged at me, enclosing me in his arms like a small blanket that doesn't fit around the entire width of my body.

We stayed like that for a moment, not speaking, not moving, only breathing until he finally spoke up in a small voice. So small in fact that I was afraid I'd misheard him. But as soon as I had heard her name I knew perfectly what he'd asked me.

"Dad?" He asked quietly.

"Yes son?" I had queried, wondering what he was about to ask me.

"Will I ever see mummy again?"

*~*~*

"Are we there yet?" I yelled to Merida who had her head hung over the side of the boat, vomiting her guts out. Being a viking I was fairly used to this, but Merida being a princess... not so much.

"Fer de las' time, no!" She screamed, her face looking so pale that it could be mistaken as looking slightly green. Sea sickness, who'd have thought?

I groaned aloud, being extremely impatient. But when it comes to my wife, who wouldn't be? Astrid had been gone for a little over a week and it was the hardest thing to get over. Realising that someone is gone and never coming back... it breaks you. It really does.
I turned away, when suddenly someone yelled "Dunbroch straight ahead, prepare to board the docks!" In a Scottish accent (Merida had sent for a boat from Dunbroch seeing as she didn't trust our 'viking longboats').

And as quick as I'd turned away I was ten times quicker to turn back to our destination. Dunbroch, wow, not what I was expecting. What with their giant mountains and cliffs a bit like our own and a giant forest surrounding most of the area from what I could see.
It was green. I'd expected something a bit more glamorous, and maybe 'princessy' but this? This was unexpected but I liked it. It reminded me of home.

"Noaw before ya say it again; yes wee laddy, we're here." Merida came up behind me, opening up her arms wide, "Welcome to Dunbroch, Scotland, my home."

"Wow." I said speechless, "I-its like Berk, yet greener..."

"Tha's Scotland for ya Hic." And as soon as they'd lowered the large ramp on the dock she charged towards it and leapt off of the boat. "Well, wha' are ya waitin' fer? I thought ya wanted to save yer wife!" Shaking my head to forget about the unforgettable view I followed Merida off of the boat.
"Yes, now, how are we gonna save her?"

AND THAT'S FOR NEXT TIME...

LOL SORRY GUYS! I'VE HAD THIS READY FOR ABOUT 2 DAYS BUT I DIDN'T REALLY LIKE IT SO I DID A LOT OF EDITING AND EXTENDED IT... SO YOUR WELCOME! PLEASE DON'T KILL ME!

SO... HOW THEY GOING TO SAVE ASTRID, HUH? I MEAN SHE'S DEAD RIGHT...?

WAIT I'M THE AUTHOR WHY AM I ASKING ALL THE QUESTIONS? OF COURSE I KNOW WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN... OR IT COULD ALL BE A TRICK...

IS THE SUSPENSE KILLING YOU YET?

ANYWAY BEFORE YOU TURN THAT SUSPENSE AROUND INTO KILLING ME...

I'D JUST LIKE TO SAY THAT I'M BACK AT SCHOOL NOW, YEAR 11! MY LAST YEAR OF SCHOOL EVER! AND THEN I'M GOING TO COLLEGE TO STUDY ANIMAL CARE AND VETERINARY... YES I WANT TO BECOME A VET... AND AN AUTHOR!

I GOT MY SCIENCE GCSE RESULT FROM YEAR 10 AND I GOT... A B!!! I'M SO HAPPY, I GOT A 'B', 'A', AND A'B'. SO OVERALL A 'B'.

ANYWAY TOODLEPIP YOU GUYS!

Question: What do you guys want to be in the future?

WAS IT GOOD?

BAD?

PLEASE COMMENT, VOTE AND FOLLOW!

YOUR AUTHOR,

~ Toothlessfollower14 aka Chloe xx