Flash Day

At noon, Parker, Joe, and Cisco drove into the heart of the city, where the ceremony for Flash day was.

Driving a police vehicle, they were allowed in a secret entrance, giving them a perfect parking space on the grass to the left of the stage.

While Parker sat on the hood, Cisco and Joe leaned on it, all three surveying the event.

"Well, they really went all out," Joe concluded.

There wasn't a single inch of the park that wasn't covered with a Flash symbol, or some type of decoration. People were insane about their outfits, drawing symbols over their faces, dressing in home made costumes.. They wanted to thank him for what he'd done.

But it felt wrong.

"I wish we could be celebrating all the heroes of that day," Parker sighed.

Joe and Cisco nodded, a sign that their thoughts were along the same lines. "We celebrate their memory within our team," Joe said.

Parker mumbled an agreement.

Cisco pointed at the mass of lingering officers. "Are we expecting trouble?"

"Trouble always targets large gatherings," Parker said.

"And cops always expect trouble. In this city, I expect super evil flying monsters," Joe continued.

"That's a solid expectation," Parker said, chuckling quietly.

Cisco's back straightened. "Well, I'll be."

Following his gaze, Parker caught sight of Caitlin Snow, looking as uncomfortable as Parker felt.

"I am loving the hair," Parker said, nodding her head. "But I'm still holding a grudge against her."

"You're holding a grudge against everyone," Cisco said, clearly annoyed.

"I wonder why," Parker snapped.

"Good morning, Central City!" the Mayor shouted, drawing all attention to the stage. "A year ago, our world changed. Our city became ground zero for.. Some pretty weird stuff. We got a new breed of criminal: men and women who defied not only our laws, but physics and reason. But we got something else, too. We got the Flash!"

Mention of his name sent the crowd hollering.

"Our wounds run deep. I know many of you are afraid of what threats tomorrow may bring. But the Flash doesn't just protect us, he restores hope where it was lost. That's why I'm honored to present the key to the man who saved Central City: the Flash!"

The crowd was cheering excessively, awaiting his appearance on stage.

About a minute later, with an absence of the Flash, cheering died down, bringing the audience an awkward silence.

"Come on, Barry," Cisco whispered.

One blink, then there he was, on the stage in the Flash suit, one hand raised to greet the crowd.

Smiling, Parker sighed happily. "That's my man."

Chanting of, "Flash!" began. Parker refused to join in on that, insisting that he wasn't cool enough to deserve a chant.

Barry's crimson covered hand reached to take the key from the Mayor. His fingertips touched it, but a scream had taken his focus from the key, to an incoming concession cart aimed at the Mayor.

Sparing no extra time, Barry grabbed the Mayor, running him to where his friends were.

The cart crashed on to the stage, erupting panic from the audience.
People scattered, running every which way to avoid the attack.

The single man who was not running stuck out from the panicking crowd. He stomped directly to the group. As he gained distance, they saw he had a mask covering his face-- another sign that he was a threat.

"I'll handle it," Barry said to Joe.

Parker believed it, simply because fast could beat size. They proved it with Tony Woodward. She stayed in her spot on top of the car.

"The Man Who Saved Central City," called the man. "Hate to rain on your parade."

"Not much of a parade, really," Parker corrected. "There's not even music."

Cisco put his hand on Parker's knee, his eyes filled with love. "God, I've missed you."

In the middle of their friendship love fest, the big man bitch-slapped Barry with one hand. Barry crashed into the windshield of a nearby car.

Eyes widened, Parker felt the fear begin to pool inside of her. She shouted Cisco's name, he shouted hers at the same time.

Parker jumped into his arms, he set her on the floor, and shoved her behind him protectively. She started to peak through the windows of the car, searching for the Boot.

"Cisco!" she shouted over the gunfire. She tried again, got no answer, then looked at him. He was staring at the scene blankly. Parker hit his shoulder, bringing him back to reality. "Cisco!"

"What?" he asked.

"The Boot!" Parker and Joe yelled simultaneously.

Cisco unlocked the car doors, Parker grabbed the gun, and threw it to Joe. He dropped his useless handgun, then fired the Boot immediately.

"Booted!" Cisco yelled.

The clamp around the man's foot did the opposite of what it was intended for.

"You said this thing would take him down," Joe said, his words coming out in a ramble. "Cisco, he's not going down."

Confused with the technicality, Cisco was at a loss of words. The only words he managed to get out were: "he's going up."

Standing at somewhere around nine feet tall, the man set on attacking Barry flexed his newly enlarged muscles.

Refusing to show her fear, Parker settled for calmly saying, "Okay, this has been fun, but I vote all people without defenses run."

"I'm down," Cisco said.

"Go!" Joe yelled.

Taking Parker's outstretched hand, the two sprinted from the fight, leaving it to Joe and Barry, praying desperately that the two would be okay without them.