Drink Till You Forget

For as long as Parker could remember, Christmas day was a casual holiday. Presents were exchanged first, guests were fed, then everyone went their separate ways until the next holiday.

Barry, equally stressed and excited, was up and ready before Parker had exited the bed. He was nearby throughout the entirety of her getting ready, saying things such as, "don't take all day," and "hustle, you can do better than that!"

Parker's tolerance level was short in the first place, which meant on the holiday's, it was shorter than usual. For half an hour she had been awake, and the bar of tolerance was already half filled. It was a quarter of the way there by the time her and Barry stood at the doorstep of her childhood home.

"I've never been to your house before," said Barry as they awaited the door to open. "Iris always told stories about your old room."

"No boys allowed upstairs," interrupted Mrs. Sylas, throwing open the door. "There will be no baby making in my house."

Barry stared at Parker's mother, astonished. He was awake late the previous night, thinking up ways their very first conversation could go. That greeting was one of the few he didn't have an answer to.

Parker rolled her eyes, taking Barry's hand and tugging him inside the house. She gave her mother a hug. "Hey, Momma."

"Hi, baby.." whispered her mother, holding in her arms for a long while. Mrs. Sylas shot a smile in her daughter's direction before her hazel eyes were staring at Barry. "At last, Parker's brought a man home. A cute one, too. What do you do for a living?"

"Forensic scientist at the CCPD," answered Barry immediately.

"A smart one?" asked Mrs. Sylas to Parker. "Wow. I thought you'd find a sugar daddy, Park."

Parker sighed. "Would have, if Barry and I hadn't met."

"Barry.. Are you an Allen, by any chance?" asked her mother. Barry nodded, fearing what would come next. "Heard your father got out of prison. Good. That's good. Never thought he had the ability to kill anyone in the first place.."

"Is that my sister?!" bellowed a man from the depths of the house. Heavy footsteps shook the wooden floors.

"Brace yourself," warned Mrs. Sylas. "All he's been talking about for months is seeing his little sister."

Around the corner came a six foot tall, red haired, blue eyed man. Voice deep, he called, "'Lil sis!" and caught an excited Parker in his arms for a bear hug.

While watching the interaction, Mrs. Sylas leaned over to Barry. "I should apologize in advance for your presents. We don't exactly know you well enough to win the present game, but.."

"No, no, thank you so much for getting me anything at all," said Barry. His heart felt as though it was going to explode from generosity. "Really, Mrs. Sylas, thank you. And thank you for believing in my father."

"Barry!" said Parker, after Peter ended the hug. "This is Peter. You two haven't met before."

"Peter Sylas. Good to meet you, Barry," said Peter kindly. The two shook hands.

"You, too," smiled Barry. "Who else is here that I haven't met?"

In response, Mrs. Sylas waved her hands, herding the children into the kitchen. Derek, Jen, Dylan and one unknown man lingered around the kitchen.

"This is my husband, David. David, this is Barry. He's Parker's boyfriend," introduced Peter.

David squinted his eyes at Barry while he hugged Parker. When she pulled away, he smiled and whispered, "He's cute for you. I approve on looks. I'll have the personality checked by the end of the night."