Head to Head

During the time span of Martin's nap, Barry left for some time at the CCPD. Caitlin stayed in the open area of the Cortex to complete some research. She left Cisco and Parker in charge of watching Martin.

Incredibly bored, Parker said, "How mean would it be if we stuck his hand in warm water?"

It resulted in Caitlin stomping into the room. She dragged Parker's chair outside of the doorway, where she could watch Martin, but she would stay in Caitlin's visual, as the woman worked on the research.

Luckily, not too long after Parker's banishment, Martin came to.

Barry's fast return to the Cortex sent him skidding across the floor when he came out of his run. Trying to pretend as though he planned his stop beside Parker, he slid his arm around her shoulders.

"Sliding into your DM's like.." Cisco muttered.

Parker rolled her eyes. "Smooth."

Martin, on his feet, frowned at the cane in his hand. "I must admit, I never imagined the Sphinx's riddle about a man requiring three legs would ever apply to me.. But, if this device keeps me mobile, then I will greatly oblige."

Caitlin offered Martin a smile. "Hopefully you won't need it for much longer."

"Martin, we're trying to find someone to merge with you. In doing so, it's supposed to make you better," Parker explained.

Caitlin projected two men on the television screens. "It appears that the dark matter from the Particle Accelerator Explosion mutated their genes in a very similar way it did to yours."

"We think they're both potential matches," Cisco said.

"Who do we go with?" Barry wondered.

"Henry Hewitt," said Caitlin, at the same time Parker said, "Jefferson Jackson. "

Cisco and Barry turned to each other, their faces showing varying degrees of worry.

"Hewitt graduated summa cum laude from Hudson University with a double major in Applied Physics and Bioengineering," Caitlin said.

"A Hudson boy, I like him already," Martin praised.

Parker looked at the screen. "Jackson's got more dots than the other guy. He's young.. Probably not a douchebag, as most science people are."

"Parker's right," Barry interrupted. "Well, about his alleles. More of them match than Hewitt's. Doesn't that mean he's more compatible?"

"On paper, perhaps, but Hewitt is a scientist. Clearly, he's trying to make something of his life," Caitlin argued.

"And how do you know Jackson's not?" Parker defended.

"He's a football player."

"And he's a 4.0 student," Parker said. "It doesn't mean he went with football as a career."

Seemingly ending their fight, Caitlin forced a smile. Barry and Cisco let out relieved sighs.

"I think Hewitt would be open to something like this," Caitlin said.

"It's easier for young people to accept new things. There's more of a chance that he'd want to be hero than Hewitt; more of a chance that his body can handle it," Parker said, causing Cisco and Barry to suck in anticipating breaths. "He's a normal guy. I need more of that around here."

"We're looking for bright scientific additions to our be on this team," Caitlin said.

Parker licked her lips, revealing a polite smile, and that's when Barry hit Cisco's chest, silently warning him for a calm outburst from her.