Initiate Protocol Party

Mirroring the previous New Years Eve celebration, Parker and Barry spent the night at their apartment.

Pulling a cake from the oven, Barry roughly dropped it on the stove. "You know, I was hoping for a fun New Year's Eve."

"Which is why we were going to make our rich friends hang out with us," said Parker, sending Oliver another text. She set her phone down. "But Oliver and Felicity won't respond to me."

"We could ask Caitlin if she wants to go drink somewhere?" suggested Barry.

"She's spending the night with Jay," said Parker. "Patty?"

"I don't think she would enjoy third wheeling us," admitted Barry.

"Iris?"

"Forced family New Years with Wally and Joe," said Barry.

Parker shook her head. "He'll never like them if they don't let him come to on his own."

"Joe's just trying to make up for lost time," defended Barry, although he wholeheartedly agreed.

"Oh, what about Harry?" she asked.

"Working hard on finding Zoom," said Barry.

Parker snatched the can of frosting from the counter. Pouting, she smeared it over the cake with a knife. "Is this what married life is going to be like? Me and you stuck with each other all day and every day?"

"I don't know if I can handle staying in every night," said Barry, rubbing his eyes.

"I need my time away from you," pleaded Parker.

"As do I," said Barry, squinting his eyes in deep thought. "How do we fix this dilemma?"

"Maybe we can initiate party night? We both take one day of the month to have a wild night with our friends, but without each other." 

"Can we afford that?" asked Barry.

"Last time I checked, we've got two hundred to spend every month on fun shit," said Parker.

Barry slapped his hand against her own. "This is exactly why I'm marrying you."

"Because I keep track of our money?"

"Because every plan you make creates benefits for both of us," said Barry.

"I think working through problems is an important aspect of a relationship," grunted Parker as she struggled to saw through their mildly burnt cake. "Not just ignoring them."

Barry tipped his glass of wine in the air. "We make a good team, baby."

Parker touched her glass against his. "Hell yeah we do," she said, then took a single sip. "I'm proud of you, Barry. I don't think I tell you that enough."

"Proud about what?" asked Barry.

"How well you're handling the Flash business. Excluding being a terrible secret keeper, you're inner hero is effortless. I'm insanely proud of what you do every day for this city."

"There are some actions of yours I wouldn't agree with, but overall, I feel the same way about you. You've grown since we started this team," praised Barry.

"You may not stand by some of my actions, but I do. Everything I've done in the past year, it's because.." she stopped herself.

"It's because?" continued Barry.

Parker shook her head. "Sounds stupid to say out loud. Forget I brought it up."

"Tell me, or I'll smash this cake into pieces," threatened Barry.

"It tastes shitty anyway," sighed Parker. "I don't know. I'm surrounded by heroes. Spending time with the team, you, Oliver.. You all woke up the 'save the world' feeling inside of me. I'm trying to do my part. I want to be a hero, too, in any possible way that I can."

Barry zipped around the island to wrap her in a hug. She hugged him back softly, unlike their usual embrace. Sensing her fear, he looked her in the eyes. "Park, you might not be a public hero, but that doesn't mean you aren't one. You're my hero, Indiana."

A relieved smile crossed her lips. Parker shook her head. "One day, Barry. One day, I will break out my secret identity."

"In your dreams," said Barry. 

A couple minutes later, feasting on burnt cake, wine, and pizza, Parker's eyes widened. "Oh, you never told me what my Christmas gift was."

"It's in hiding for now," said Barry casually.

"Uh, why?"

His lips tilted into a smirk. "You think you were the only one planning to propose on Christmas?"