Broke It Again

Barry and Cisco stayed in the tech room, waiting for Harry to complete shrinking the enhancer. When he finished, the trio traveled into the elevator and up to level six hundred of S.T.A.R. Labs, ready to attach the device into the Flash suit. 

Small chatter occurred between Cisco and Barry as they followed Harry. It ceased once Barry heard the sound of Parker's voice. His speed quickened. 

"Slow down, Barry, she'll be there when you get there," chuckled Cisco.

Barry slapped his hand over Cisco's mouth. He was trying to listen. 

"Caitlin," she was saying, "do me a huge favor?"

"Of course. What do you need?" asked Caitlin, sounding strangely attentive. 

"The books Barry left on the floor, would you move them, please?" 

"Sure, sure," said Caitlin. She laughed. "Wouldn't want to trip the woman carrying a S.T.A.R. Labs baby, now, would we?"

Carrying a S.T.A.R. Labs baby. Carrying a S.T.A.R Labs baby.

Barry stood in place for what seemed like hours. Caitlin's words flew in a cycle inside of his brain. He was frozen. He thought she never wanted a child of her own. He knew she didn't want to have a baby between them, because of what was in the near future. 

To hear that, on accident, Parker was pregnant overjoyed Barry, to the point where he had no words. His mind raced with possibilities. Boy or girl, he didn't care at all. His only care lied with the fact that he was going to be a father, and raise a beautiful child with the love of his life.

"Barry," breathed Cisco, his eyes wide, a smile bright on his face, "Barry!"

Though it was a simple short walk to the Cortex, Barry used his speed. He skidded to a panicked stop behind Parker, yelling, "Baby, you're...!" but he couldn't finish. His heart was busy shattering. His voice was lost in his throat.

Caitlin meant what she said. Parker was not carrying a child within her stomach. She was carrying a small child within her arms

Startled by the crack that came with his entrance, the baby girl fast asleep on Parker's chest woke. She began to wail. 

"Barry, I just got her to sleep," whined Parker.

He physically felt an invisible knife stab into his chest. "You're not... You're not preg--"

"Stop. You know I can't," said Parker strongly, angrily. Cradling the girl, she muttered a fierce, "Excuse me," and ducked out of the Cortex.

"Whose baby is that?" asked Harry.

"Peter and his husband's. They just adopted her yesterday. He asked her to babysit while they went crib shopping," explained Caitlin softly.

"Right," mumbled Barry.

Harry's hand touched Barry's shoulder for no longer than a second. "I'm sorry, Allen."

Barry only nodded. 

Cisco rubbed his forehead. He inhaled a quick breath, releasing his sad thoughts. Barry's minor grief mattered more than his own. His priority aligned with Barry. 

"I know it hurts," said Caitlin, tagging in for the reassurance first, "I know how badly you want kids with Park, she knows, but she doesn't want to put you through that."

"You know that," nodded Cisco. 

"It was hard growing up without your mother, Barry. It was hard growing up without a father, for her. Putting kids through that is something you both don't want," assured Caitlin.