The Media is Bound To Get Some Things Right.

Niall grimaced as he injected himself with his medication. Honestly, it wasn't the best way seeing as he hated needles but it was, he had to admit, the safest way given his recent 'mishap' with the pills that he'd been prescribed. If only he hadn't been so stupid, he wouldn't be in this mess. He rubbed the site of the injection, wincing slightly as he  flopped back down on the pillows, closing his eyes and wishing he could sleep the day away instead of doing the interview that Management had insisted on. 'Damage Limitation' they called it, he preferred another description...torture!

"Ni, you've got to come and eat something'' Harry stood in the doorway of the bedroom smiling gently down at his bandmate. "An empty stomach isn't going to help you any"

"Not hungry" Niall replied. "I feel sick , anyway"

"Sick from the side effects of that?" Harry motioned with his hand  towards the discarded syringe "or sick from nerves?"

"Bit of both, I guess" Niall admitted."Probably better I don't eat. It will be bad enough as it is without me puking everywhere"

"We'll get through this Ni. I know you don't want it to happen and the fandom is going to face more drama but, you know, maybe this ......I don't know" Harry said. '"But we'll be with you. Com'on, let's go downstairs and maybe you can try to .eat something" He stretched out his hand to Niall and pulled him up off the bed then flung his arm over Niall's shoulders as they walked down the stairs.

All right, lads" Liam smiled at his two bandmates as they walked into the kitchen. He frowned slightly as he looked at Niall's very pale face "You going to be OK, Nialler?"

"Yeah, I just want this over with. I tried calling again last night, it went to voice mail" .

"Same here" Liam replied. No response to any of our calls. Louis, did you get anything"

"I think we should go now, the car's here" was all Louis said as he walked out of the kitchen. "Let's get this done"

Once the boys had arrived at the studio, they all stood patiently as their microphones were fitted. An aide then escorted them to the set where the interview was to take place and the woman hosting the morning show waited to introduce herself.

"I'm Carly Evans. It's a pleasure to meet you all. My daughter is a great fan." The petite blond smiled at them all. "I know you have already been given a list of most of the questions I'll be asking. As you know I present the morning show so this will be going out live. Any questions of your own you'd like to ask?" The four young men shook their heads then Louis asked if he could be excused for a few moments. Carly smiled her assent and Louis rapidly left. He pulled off the mike before darting into a hallway. He pulled out his phone and tried the number one last time. As he held the phone to his ear he could also hear the sound of ringing near by. The person he was calling  was here and he really was going to do it.The ringing abruptly stopped.

"Mr Tomlinson, we really need you now" one of the studio assistants appeared beside him. Louis sighed heavily and allowed the young women to reattach his microphone once more. This wasn't going to end well.

"Good Morning. This is Carly Evans for 'Morning Coffee' and we have an exciting show lined up for you today. We have some very special guests joining us this morning and four of them are with me right now. They are the world's biggest boy band and I am sure they need no introduction from me . It's.......One Direction!

Boys, it's wonderful to have you with us today. It's been quite a year for you all. How are you?"

'We're good, thanks" Liam responded on behalf of them all.

"Now I'm sure all the ladies out there would love to know who is single and who is taken?" Carly gushed.

"We are all single and available" Louis said and winked at the camera with his trademark cheeky smile.

"Nobody on the horizon then, Niall?" 

"Nope, free and easy" Niall gave a small smile. The palms of his hands were sweating and he rubbed them gently on his jeans. Liam, who was sitting next to him, wrapped his arm over Niall's shoulders before he turned his own smile on Carly, making her go pink.

"Now you all are going on a break soon. How long will this be for?" Carly pushed the question everyone was asking.

"We aren't putting a definite time on it" Harry took over " We've done five tours and made five albums. We're all a bit tired and need a little chill time"

"What are your plans for the break then" Carly pursued the subject

"Family time mainly. And Louis is planning a lads holiday for us all. It will be nice to sleep in our own beds for a change" .Niall decided he'd better answer some of the questions though he dreaded what was coming.

"Niall, we all know about your recent MS diagnosis. How are you coping with your illness?

"It's been a lot to take in but the lads have been great. They've been really supportive and so many of the fans have been showing their support on social media" Niall said quietly." There great medication available to help control it.

"Niall, I do have to ask this. You talk of medication , There was a recent report in a certain daily newspaper that claimed that you had attempted suicide  recently using that medication,and that you were saved by Zayn Malik. Now we all know that some of the media prints rumours so we are wondering if you could clear up the situation for us?" Carly swopped her practised smile for a look of concern and though her voice was sweet, none of the young men were deceived. She was a trained journalist and she was going for the jugular.

"Ummmm. " Niall looked down at his hands which were shaking. He was also finding it hard to breath.

"And what exactly did this newspaper say?" Louis asked pointedly " We are always hearing rumours about ourselves. The media circus thrives on them and what they don't know they make up"

Carly grabbed  a copy of the same paper that the previous interviewer had thrust in their faces and held it out. Louis reached out and took it, taking time to read the article. "Sounds right for this particular publication" he sneered.

"But is it true? Niall? You haven't said anything and you are looking mighty uncomfortable." Carly pushed harder.

"Of course he's uncomfortable. He has MS and is not too well today. And this isn't helping" Louis was beginning to get angry and Liam felt panic rising as he listened to the exchange between Carly and his friend.

"So, do you categorically deny that there was an attempted suicide?" Carly looked like the cat that swallowed the canary. You could  almost imagine the feathers stuck to her red lipstick. That sweet, girly charm was an act and she was out to destroy Niall.

"No, there really was a suicide attempt" said a voice from off camera. Five pairs of eyes turned in that direction. The color washed from Niall's face leaving him ashen . He slumped against Liam , hands over his face. He really was going to do it. He hadn't listened to anyone.

"Please don't do this, please don't" he whispered though only Liam could hear.. It's not worth it. I'm not worth it"

"The media is bound to get some things correct occasionally , if only accidentally. In this case there was an attempted suicide. It just wasn't Niall."

The owner of the voice appeared , fixing on his microphone as he spoke. 

Carly was beside herself with excitement. What a scoop and on her show too. She smiled even more brightly.

"It's a pleasure to have you with us ,Zayn"