I Loved Her First.

Niall had tried everything. He had contacted the Courier and the Jewellers where the Locket had be bought but they were unable to provide any information as to whom had sent the Locket. It was a mystery.None of the lads could offer any suggestions as to where it had come from but Niall got the slightly uneasy feeling the Louis had some thoughts on the subject. Niall broached him on several occasions, trying to appear casual but each time Louis brushed him off and was quick to change the subject. Niall had to put the matter to the back of his mind . The tour had started and during a short break  between concerts, Aoife was getting married and the thoughts of having to let his little girl go, consumed his every waking moment.

Time had raced by and now it was time. Niall gently pulled the veil over Aoife's face then holding both her hands in his , asked "Are you ready?" Aoife drew in a shaky breath and nodded and Niall tucked her left hand under his arm . The signal was given , the music started and they began the slow walk down the aisle of the church. Feeling Aoife shaking , Niall reached over with his left hand and patted her hand. "Taylor is waiting" he whispered and she nodded, her eyes fastened on the young man who stood  waiting at the alter, his own father at his side. Niall felt this walk with his daughter was lasting forever yet it was still too fast and would  be over far too soon, and he'd be letting her go to another man. He felt like his heart could crack in two and he felt a tear slip down his cheek.

"Who gives this woman to this man?" Father Dominic asked.

"I do" Niall responded. He lifted the veil off Aoife's face, kissed her gently on her forehead and placed her hand in Taylor's before stepping aside. His little girl was now a woman and he had to let her go.Why was it so hard to let go?

The Reception was well under way and it was time for the speeches. Niall dreaded it. He was used to talking to fans, had done thousands of interviews and talked to millions of people but when it came to making this particular speech, he was petrified. He got slowly to his feet and rapped his glass for silence.

"I'm not a speech maker" he said " I'm a singer. So, instead of talking, I'm singing my speech" The guests all whooped and cheered as Liam brought Niall his guitar. Niall got himself settled then started to sing.:

(Imagine Niall singing this: My cousin found this for me :-)   )

"Oh Da" Aoife ran to Niall as he finished singing and wrapped her arms around him tightly in a hug. "You'll always be my first love". They rocked together gently as the guest all tried to master their emotions with varied success. 

As Niall watched Aoife and Taylor dance together, he felt the searing pain go through his stomach and unobtrusively slipped away as fast he could to the restroom. Fortunately it was empty and he quickly entered one of the stalls just in time for his stomach contents to erupt violently. He stared down into the soiled bowl of the toilet and threw up again on seeing the blood. He knew he had to get to hospital soon. He'd been an idiot to twice cancel the appointments for his endoscopy. He was paying for it now. Please just let me get through today, he pleaded with himself. I'll go tomorrow.

"Ni? Nialler? You in here?" Louis called out. Niall wiped his mouth and flushed the toilet before opening the door. "The kids are about to leave, mate" Louis said then stopped when he say Niall's pale and sweaty face  'You OK, mate? You look awful"

"Yeah, I'm good. Let's go. I want to say goodbye to my baby girl" Niall hurried past Louis who stared anxiously after him.

"Da, it's time for us to go now" Aoife said slowly ."Could you do me a favor?"

"Anything pumpkin, you know that " Niall answered  quietly.

"Could you take this to Ma?" Aoife handed over her bouquet of flowers "Please?" Niall nodded, unable to answer. He kissed Aoife gently then watched as Taylor grabbed her hand and led her away to the waiting vehicle.  Liam appeared beside Niall  and they both stood and watched as the car pulled away, waving until it had vanished from sight.The two men  stood and talked for a short time then Niall excused himself and walked to his own car. It was a short drive back to the small church where only hours before his beautiful Aoife had  become Mrs Taylor Payne. Liam had raised his son well and Niall knew in his heart that Taylor would always look after his little Aoife but he suddenly felt so very lonely.

Parking the car, Niall picked up the flowers and walked around to the back of the church to the quiet and serene  Cemetery at the back. Niall bent down and placed the bridal bouquet on Caoimhe's grave then sat down, pulling his knees into his chest and resting his chin on his knees as he looked at the profusion of flowers that always covered her grave. He frowned slightly in confusion then unfolded himself to look at the flowers. He'd been late  yesterday but someone else must have come here earlier today  because there was another beautiful arrangement of flowers next to his own. Aoife must have been, he thought. He reached out and pulled out  the attached card so he could read it better. 

"Forgive me, I should have been there when he needed me" . There was no name but it was exactly the same handwriting that had been on the package containing  Aoife's locket. Niall was confused. He sat back again, staring at the card in his hand ' Forgive me?"  Was it from the Doctor that had broken Caoimhe's heart before she was Niall's girlfriend? But then the second part made no sense, no sense at all. Niall finally broke from his thoughts with a shiver. It had grown dark now and he had the eerie sense of being watched though he was alone . He looked around but he couldn't see a soul.  He  tucked the card into his pocket, and stood up , ready to make his way back to his car. He hissed as the pain ripped through him, more intense than ever .Then his world went black.

"I don't know exactly where we are" He was trying not to panic. "It's the graveyard behind St. Mary's Catholic church. Hurry please"

"Sir, the emergency services are on way. Please calm down. I'll stay on the line until they arrive.

"Please tell them to hurry" his voice was barely above a whisper. Time seemed to stretch out in such a way that just a few minutes felt like hours.

"They are nearly there , sir"

"I hear them, I hear them. Thank G*d."

Louis groaned when his phone started blaring out his latest ring tone. He'd drunk too much at the wedding and his head was already pounding."Hello" he almost moaned out .

"Mr Tomlinson? This is St Vincent's Hospital. A Mr Niall Horan has just been admitted. Please could you come as soon as possible.? Louis snapped into sober immediately he heard those words.

"On my way" He hung up and instantly contacted Liam and Harry, telling them to meet him there. He broke nearly every speed limit in his race to the hospital and arrived panting at the Reception desk. 'Niall Horan?" he gasped out.

"Room 139, Sir. One of his friends is already with him" Louis nodded his thanks to her and raced  to find the room. Harry or Liam must have beaten him here. He reached Niall's door and stopped to catch his breath before opening the door. A man sat huddled in a chair next to Niall's bed, holding the Irishman's small hand. Louis' eyes went wide when he saw the tattoos on the man's wrist. He hadn't seen them for years but he knew them only too well.

"Zayn?"

Edited to add this for myself and any other deaf' Wattys'. I didn't realise how beautiful the words were.