I'll Always Be Here For You.

"Mr Tomlinson? Louis Tomlinson?"

"Yes, speaking" Louis frowned. Who on earth had his private number. He didn't recognise the voice on the other end of the line.

"This is Dr Miller. I'm Niall Horan's Physician. I have you down as Mr Horan's emergency contact. I was wondering if I might have a word with you?"

"Is Niall OK? Has something happened?" Louis started to panic.

"Niall is  as well as can be expected  but there are concerns I'd like to discuss with you if possible. Would you be able to come in and see me? This afternoon?"

"I guess so. I have a foul cold though, not sure you want me bringing more germs into the hospital ?" Louis said raspily then sneezed loudly, as he wondered why doctors never seemed to give straight forward answers to questions.

"Bless you! No, that will be fine. That is, is you wouldn't mind wearing a surgical mask. My immune system is excellent but as you may want to speak to Niall, we'll need to protect him".

"No problemo. What time?"

"About 2pm would be great. My office is on the forth floor, room 17. I look forward to talking with you, Mr Tomlinson. Goodbye" 

Louis went slowly upstairs to shower and dress ready for his meeting with the doctor. Why did he want to speak to him? Niall's parents were the proper next of kin although Louis had always been Niall's emergency contact since the band was formed. Louis being the oldest, had taken on that responsibility, even though Liam was considered Daddy Direction.

Louis felt silly wearing the surgical mask but knew it was the sensible thing to do.No sense in passing on his cold to the rest of the world. "Please sit down, Mr Tomlinson" Dr Miller invited.

"Louis. Call me Louis"

"Louis , then. Thank you for coming in to see me. This is somewhat of a delicate matter that I feel you might be able to help me with. As you may be  aware, we did an endoscopy on Niall yesterday to try and track down the source of the bleeding. We found that his entire stomach lining is damaged"

"Yeah, Liam said he had an ulcer" 

"Not an ulcer, exactly. If it was very small area, it could  be termed an ulcer. But in this case, the area is far too large. We've started to treat it with the necessary medication and bland diet and it should improve fairly quickly. That, however, isn't the problem. We need to know the cause and Niall is being a little, shall we say, difficult. He refuses to talk to me and has asked to be discharged. Having read his notes, some which have been provided from his Neurologist, Mr Taylor and also from his Clinical Psychologist, Ms Norland,  I have concerns that Niall might perhaps not be, ah, stable enough, if you follow me?

Louis, I am not stupid and I have been a doctor for a considerable length of time. I know when my patients are not telling me things. This is why I wanted to talk to you. You may or may not know what's been happening with your friend but I am hoping that you might be able to speak with him and persuade him to talk with me. I've assured him that everything is confidential but for some reason he won't accept that."

"We've not had too much reason to trust other people lately as you may have seen for yourself" Louis said bitterly "You can hardly expect Niall to be forth coming over something so private that will probably end up being splashed over the headlines, can you?" Louis countered.

"And if there is no record of it, what then?"

"You expect me to believe that? For  Niall to belief that? Somehow, I don't think you'll convince him. Look, I'll talk to him, if that's what you want, but don't hold your breath. Can I see him now?"

"Just try, at least, Louis. That's all I can ask. And yes, please go see him. I'm sure he'd welcome the company. " Dr Miller reached out to shake hands with Louis "You know the way?" . Louis nodded in response and after bidding the doctor goodbye, headed down towards his bandmate's room.

"Hey Nialler, what's the craic?" Louis bounced into the room trying to act as normally as possible. Niall turned apathetically towards him.

'Hey"

"What's wrong, bro? You've a face as long as a wet weekend" Louis sassed trying to raise a smile from Niall.

"Zayn" was the simple reply. "I needed to talk to him. He promised he'd always be there for me so I called him. He's changed his number" Niall's eyes shone with unshed tears and he sniffed dismally. "I can't contact him"

"Bro, Zayn's , ah, decided to break from us. We promised him we'd look after you but .....he....well...." Louis didn't know what to say. Niall was too fragile for the truth right now. Zayn leaving the band had proved disastrous for Niall and Louis was afraid of history repeating itself. Niall had survived twice. The third time might be the charm and Louis would fight to prevent that happening. Oh well, he thought, better get this over with. "Ni, why won't you talk to the doctor?"

Niall turned and glared at him "Why? He's already got me taking crazy pills. Why won't they leave me alone?"

"Ni, mate, they aren't crazy pills. They are anti depressants and you need them right now. You also need to talk. They can't help you if you won't cooperate, lad. Look, all you have to do is talk. They help you, you get better and you get out of here. Ni, why not? . Niall shrugged. "Look, what if I stayed with you? What if it was completely between just you, me and Dr Miller? Nothing on paper? Would you?"

"Maybe. I'll think about it"

"That's all I'm asking, Ni." Louis kept his voice calm and quiet sensing that he was on the verge of winning the battle. "Have you eaten?" He changed the subject swiftly " I'm willing to smuggle in some Nados." This got a quick grin from Niall.

"I'd love Nandos but I'm afraid I get these stupid milkshake things. They actually aren't too bad. Talk of the devil, here's Caoimhe with my liquid lunch now."

"Are you calling me a devil, Niall Horan?" his nurse said with a mock glare making Niall smile at her. "Don't forget I can use blunt needles on you so mind your manners!". Niall looked horror struck at the very idea and the nurse left the room laughing.

"She's gorgeous, Ni. How come you get all the pretty nurses? I think I feel very ill and need admitting immediately. She can blanket bath me any day she likes" Louis joked only to get a punch on the arm from Niall.

"Hands off, Tommo. She's my nurse."

Louis and Niall carried on a desultory conversation as they watch a DVD. Louis decided not to mention his previous   conversation with Niall knowing from past experience that trying to force Niall into something only had the opposite effect, Niall became even more stubborn.

"Lou?"

"Yeah, Nialler?

"Will you stay with me? I mean when I talk to Dr Miller?" Niall asked diffidently.Louis smiled and ruffled Niall's tousled hair.

"You got it. Niall, I'll always be here for you."Louis said and the moment the words had left his mouth, he knew it was the truth.