A Good Nights Sleep.

Jacey positioned Niall's wheelchair under the shady arbour in the hospital garden then sat next to him, smiling as she watched him cuddle their son, Louis. It was the happiest he had looked in days. The scans that would indicate if the MS had finally been conquered had been done the previous day and now they were anxiously awaiting the results. Niall had been very quiet since his last surgery . He was obviously still not at all well and his recovery was moving at a snail's pace which frustrated him as he was desperate to be discharged from the hospital.

"He's grown so much" Niall said as he tickled his baby son's tiny feet. "and I've missed so much of it stuck here."

"I know, angel. But you'll be home soon and you won't miss any more.Just concentrate on getting well." She leant over and kissed Niall's lips softly. "Just do as you're told and it will be soon."

"Yeah, I know. But I'm sick to death of this place, the food and and being cooped up. I'm sick of constant tests then waiting for the results. I'm sorry, babe. I'll stop complaining." Niall gave her a small smile.

"Ni, it's OK. You've been through a lot and I know I said you were feeling sorry for yourself but really, you are coping with loads of stuff so I understand. I was just worried and..oh I don't know...when I screamed at you. I wish I could take it back."

"Jay...don't..I was being selfish. Don't beat on yourself. You only spoke the truth, and I needed to hear it. Let's just forget it and enjoy the sun."

Niall lay in his hospital bed , staring out the window at the rain that was lashing down. The sunny afternoon had abruptly turned overcast then the skies opened. Jacey had hurriedly pushed Niall and the baby into the shelter of the hospital then left Niall to the care of his nurse whilst she took baby Louis home for the night. He missed them both already though it had just been a few hours. He was so done with this place.

"Good evening, sweetie" Niall's nurse, Tina, said as she came into the room carrying Niall's charts. "How are you feeling? Did you have a lovely time with your family. Your son is a really cutie" she said cheerfully, lowering the side of Niall's bed. "Right, let's have a little look at you" and she began doing her 'obs'

"It was good, but I just want to get home. I hate it when they have to leave" Niall replied.

"I know you do, sweetie, and I'm sure the doctors will get you home as soon as they can."Tina cuffed the blood pressure monitor on his arm and indicated to him to stay still and relax as the cuff inflated, the screen of the unit positioned where Niall was unable to see it. Once it had finished, she removed it and scribbled down something on his chart. "Temperature now, sweetie" and the put the thermometer in his ear, withdrawing it on the beep before again writing down the results. "Now sweetie, I know you hate answering this, but any bathroom issues?" Niall shook his head no, flushing slightly. "That's good. Now I just need to listen to your chest" She pulled Niall's T-shirt up and placed the cold stethoscope gently on his chest, moving it from place to place as she carefully listened before pulling the ends out of her ears and drapping the instrument around her neck. "All done, sweetie. Just your wound to check" She carefully removed the light dressing covering the incision from his recent surgery. "That seems to be healing very nicely now. Just don't put too much pressure on it. We don't want those sutures pulled out. Now I'll bring you something to eat then , when you're done, I'll come get you settled for the night." She smiled at him and left Niall to his own thoughts as he returned his bored gaze to the rain lashed window once more.

Back at the nurses station, Tina picked up the phone and dialled Doctor Morrisons extension. The call was answered immediately and Tina began to update him on the results of her recent checks on his patient.

"I'll drop in before I leave, nurse, thank you. I'll need to arrange for the other tests to be done as soon as possible. It may just be anxiety, but we need to stay on tops of things. He can be extremely evasive when asked how he's feeling. Anyway, I'll see you shortly, nurse." The call was terminated.

"I can't wait until I can eat real food" Niall grumbled as he surveyed the thick milkshake like substance in the glass that Tina put in front of him. "I'd rather have Nandos"

"I know, sweetie" Tina said soothingly " but your stomach can't handle solid foods right now. And you'll still have to be careful when it can. I know Doctor 'Morrison has explained it to you. Now drink it up, there's a good lad. I'll be back in a while." She left Niall glaring in disgust at his liquid milk. Sighing loudly, Niall picked it up and took a sip. Actually, it didn't taste too vile but he longed for proper food.

"Niall, you really need to drink more of it" Tina said exasperatedly. "You need to eat to get better. Doctor will only have you fed intravenously if you don't"

"I'm just not hungry, I did my best" Niall said fretfully.

"I know ,sweetie. Try to eat more tomorrow, OK". Tina swung the table away from over Niall's bed. "You pop into the bathroom and I'll tidy your bed so you can get settled down for the night." She helped Niall out of the bed and watched him as he slowly disappeared into the adjoining bathroom before she smoothed out his sheets and fluffed the pillows. She was lowering the blinds over the window when Niall reemerged , moving slightly unsteadily. She bit her lip looking at how fragile the poor man looked. "Right, into bed with you" She pinned her smile back onto her face and pulled the bedclothes over her patient as he relaxed back against the pillows.

"Good evening, Niall" the nurse and Niall both turned their heads and looked as Doctor Morrison entered the room. "I was just in the vicinity so thought I'd pop in and say hello. Since I'm here, I'll just have a quick look at you if nurse will kindly assist me." He approached the bed and Tina stood to one side, ready to do any task asked of her. The doctor studied the charts Tina had been keeping and raised his eyebrows at the readings. The incision site wasn't infected so that didn't account for the high blood pressure and temperature readings. Rapid heart beat too. But none of his concerns showed on his face as he examined Niall.. "You've a few tests to be done tomorrow, Niall'' he said aloud "but I prescribe a good nights sleep for you. Nurse will give you something to help and I'll see you tomorrow". He shook hands with Niall and left, the nurse following him." You did right to call me, nurse. I'll speed up the tests. Meanwhile, give him the medication I've prescribed" he passed her the written instructions. "Sleep will make him relax, which will help. I'll phone through the times of the tests to you soon" and he left to make arrangements.

"Niall, I know you don't want it but it's Doctor Morrison's orders. You don't want to get me into trouble do you" Tina pleaded with Niall who was flatly refusing to allow her to inject him with the medication the doctor had prescribed to help him sleep.

"All right" Niall sounded defeated. He knew it was stupid to fuss but he was so fed up with having to submit to everything others wanted. He flinched slightly as the needle pierced his thigh.

"All done, now" Tina put down the used syringe on the tray and covered Niall up warmly once more. "You have a good sleep". Lights dimmed, she quietly left the room. Niall rolled onto his side and curled up into a ball, listening to the falling rain and the soft sounds of the hospital at night. His eyes fluttered shut and he fell into a dreamless sleep.