Perfect

"Any idea who that man is?" Aoifa asked the two lads who were kneeling down in front of the opened boxes.

"Zayn" Freddy said "It's Zayn Malik. He used to be in the band and then suddenly quit one day. My dad said that he was real close to your dad and ...well I'm not sure I should say" Freddy stopped speaking.

"And what? What, Freddy? Tell me. Aoife demanded.

"Your dad didn't take it too well, he had some kind of major meltdown. My dad and the others helped him through it but it was only when he married your mom things really got better then......" Freddy didn't really  want to continue...." They hoped Zayn would come see your dad when your Ma passed but nobody heard anything., all ties were totally cut.  That's why he'd not talked about."

"Zayn! Of course. No wonder he looked a little familiar. My friend, Katy, her Ma has some of his music. She was a big fan. Isn't he some hotshot producer now?" Aoife's frown cleared . "He was in One Direction?"Freddy nodded, saying that Zayn had been with the band for five years before he'd left and that, although he'd been great when Niall was first ill, he had unaccountably vanished after writing Niall  a letter of goodbye. He hadn't been in contact for the last 18 or so years.   Aoife shook her head sadly. "Poor Da. I wonder why that happened after they'd been together for so long". Both men with her just shrugged. Taylor because his dad rarely mentioned the past and Freddy because he was afraid he'd already said too much and he knew his dad would be furious if he found out that he'd said anything about Zayn. He knew it was a sore subject with his dad".

For the last few weeks, Aoife kept thinking about what Freddy had told her. No wonder that stuff was locked away. There was obviously some very deep hurt caused by the breakup . Aoife hated knowing that. If only there was a way. She shook her head sadly.  Aoife was so lost in her thoughts that she  jumped when Taylor appeared next to her, wrapping his arms gently around her waist and kissing her softly on the lips. "Have you spoken to your Da yet? I did to mine and he's OK about it". She shook her head. She'd been putting it off. She had to talk soon but didn't know how to broach the subject. What if he didn't like it?

 Aoife was hesitant. Niall looked across the room at his daughter and frowned slightly when he saw how nervous she appeared. "When did you know you were in love with Ma?"

"I think I started falling in love with her when we had a fight about her putting in a catheter when I was one of her patients. It sort of slowly evolved from there. She was the one, she'd always been the  one" Niall said softly. "Just like Taylor is the one for you".  Aoife looked up at him in shock. "I have eyes, Aoife . I see in your eyes the same look that your Ma had in hers." Niall smiled at his daughter. Oh she was a beauty, was his Aoife. Just like her Ma.

Aoife stood and looked at herself in the mirror, studying herself from every angle. She sighed to herself. It was perfect. She wanted this so much but the pain it might  cause her Da. worried her. How could she ask?  She turned away from her reflection and let out a soft scream as she saw her Da sitting quietly on her bed, next to the now empty box she had taken from the attic months ago,. Tears were pouring down his cheeks but he was smiling softly at her.

"Da, I'm sorry. I......................"

"You look beautiful, Aoife. You look beautiful. Just like your Ma." He stood up then and lifted the wedding veil  from off her face. "You'll make Taylor a beautiful bride". Niall sat down again as he smiled at his daughter. Still tiny,  he thought as he remembered holding her in his arms for the first time. The joy and the sorrow suddenly fresh in his memories.

"You know? " Aoife blushed brilliant red as Niall grinned.

"Yeah, Taylor asked me a few weeks ago. Very formal he was, requested your hand in marriage". Niall had a sweetest expression on his face as he recalled how nervous Taylor had been, constantly shifting in his seat and wiping his sweating hands on his jeans. "I said yes. It's time to let go of you"

Aoife smiled in relief then turned back to the mirror, meeting her Da's eyes in the reflection.  "You don't mind?" Aoife questioned softly."I found it in the attic months ago and I so wanted to wear it but I didn't want to hurt you. I just wanted a bit of Ma on my wedding day"

"I'm not sad, pumpkin. It will be a little bit like Caoimhe is with us on the day. You'd better take it off now, Taylor is downstairs and he mustn't see the dress" Niall stood slowly and walked towards his daughter . He placed  a loving kiss on her forehead and left , with her looking after him, her heart swelling with emotion.

Taylor was waiting for her in the lounge, along with Uncle Liam and her Da. He was shifting his weight from foot to foot as he stood looking at her as she entered the room. He walked forward and, grabbed both her hands as he went down on one knee.

"Aoife Maebh Horan. I have loved you since we were children. I promise to love you for infinity. Please would you do me the honor of being my wife?" Taylor looked nervously up to Aoife's face and saw slow tears falling from her eyes. But she was smiling and nodding. He let go of one of her hands then pulled a beautiful ring from his pocket and slide it onto the ring finger of her left hand. It fit perfectly. Aoife stared down at it, then raised her eyes, not immediately  to Taylor's face but to the face of her Da.

"It was the ring I proposed to your Ma with. I know she'd want you to wear it" Niall spoke so softly, he voice barely audible. Aoife just nodded, her tears flowing even faster now. Taylor, the ring, the dress. Perfect!

Taylor and Aoife planned to marry on what would have been her parents wedding anniversary so it was all action stations. Aoife finished writing the invitations and checked the list carefully.  She put down her pen and stared out of the window, her head busy with so many thoughts.  She finally turned her attention back to the invitations that littered her desk and picked up the pen to finish writing the last few.

"Aoife?" 

"Uncle Louis! I didn't know you were here" Aoife got up and hugged Louis who squeezed her tight. He loved Aoife's hugs and the way she was so tiny she had to stretch up a little to get her arms around his neck. It made him feel tall for a change.

"Actually I've been here hours but you were so busy. I'm off now." Aoife pouted in disappointment. "You done writing all those?" he nodded his head at the pile of invitations on the desk.

"Finally" Aoife said, sounding relieved.

"Give them here, I'll get them mailed for you" Louis held out his hand and Aoife passed him the thick stack of envelopes.

"Thanks, Uncle Louis. You've saved me a trip ." Aoife was grateful.

"No probs" Louis said "See you in a few days" He gave he a quick kiss then left, leaving Aoife to stare out of the window again. her stomach suddenly feeling very fluttery , like dozens of butterflies were in there.

Louis got into his Range Rover and  threw the envelopes on the passenger seat where they fanned out from their neat little stack. He glanced idly at them.