State Of Action

Liam and Harry stared at Niall's door, watching the coming and going with anxious eyes. Eventually the fuss seemed to die down. Harry got up to the viewing window and peered in, there still seemed several people around Niall's bed, blocking his view. He hissed in frustration. A nurse turned and saw him looking in at them. She gave Harry an apologetic smile and seemed to press something near the window which then went dark. Harry groaned and went back to Liam. "I wish someone would tell us what's happening. This is killing me". Laim just nodded.

"Excuse me, Sir" A nurse stood in front of them. "Could one of you come with me. We're having a little trouble with Mr Tomlinson" . 

"I'll go, you stay here  Haz. Text me when you know something, OK?" Liam stood up and Harry nodded, turning his attention back to Niall's room.

"Same, Li" he murmured as Liam followed the nurse .

"F.ck you. Let me go, you F.cker". Liam could hear Louis' voice rising , accompanied by sounds of a struggle. He  increased his pace until he reached the room where Louis was being looked after. Louis was being pinned down on the bed by a sweating Preston who was using all his inconsiderable strength to control the writhing young man . Louis was so very much  smaller but his anger and frustration was fuelling his fighting and even Preston was starting to struggle. Moments later, however, Louis' energy finally drained away and he collapsed back on the bed. Preston continued to hold him until he was sure Louis had fought his way to an absolute standstill before standing back. He stayed close, not sure what what Louis was likely to do next. Better to be prepared, he thought.

Louis lay there, trying to get his breath back. He was beyond  exhausted from his fight with Preston. His tiny frame was no match for the big, burly bodyguard.  He'd woken up and found himself in a hospital bed with no memory of how he'd got there. His last conscious memory was of being with Niall. So how the hell had he got here? And more to the point, why?" He'd pushed himself up and that was when he saw Preston. Why was he here? Louis had wanted answers and he wanted them immediately. He was stoney faced as Preston had explained that Louis was actually a patient himself. The explanation hadn't been well received and Louis had lost it. Preston had stepped in to try and get him to calm down but Louis' struggles had escalated. 

"Lou?" Liam spoke tentatively . "you ok?" Louis turned his head to Liam and glared at him but didn't speak. "Come on, Lou, don't do this" Liam pleaded.

"WHY?" Louis shouted

"Because you were starving yourself to death, Lou. You've barely eaten or drunk anything since we got back here to the UK.. Isn't it bad enough with Niall so sick without you getting sick too?"

"So you think that's a good enough reason to take my freedom from me? I don't choose this, Liam. I'm getting out of here". Louis  pushed Liam away then swung his legs over the side of the bed, sliding his feet to the ground. He shut his eyes briefly as a wave of dizziness washed over him. "Where are my f.cking clothes?". Louis started to walk forward then stumbled, Preston quickly catching him under the arms to support him. "Get off me" Louis shrugged away from his hold. "Don't touch me".

"Mr Tomlinson, why are you out of bed?" A nurse had entered the room and was glaring at Louis. "Now, get back into bed" she said firmly.

"I'm leaving" Louis glared back "Where are my clothes?" The nurse turned and walked out leaving Louis to sigh in relief. Finally! He could get out of here. A few minutes later, the door opened and the nurse had returned. Louis frowned, in her hands were a covered tray, not his clothing. The nurse exchanged glances with Preston who swiftly grabbed Louis and held him firmly as the nurse cleaned Louis' arm and injected the contents of the syringe. He continued to hold Louis until his small struggles had ceased, then he laid him back on the bed.

"The doctor had a feeling that this might have been necessary. " she told the assembled men. "I'll come back in a minute and set up an IV, he's  very dehydrated . He should sleep for a time and then the doctor will come and speak with him. Hopefully, he'll be more approachable by then". She smiled briefly and left the room.

"Preston, I want to go back to Ni. Will you stay here?" Liam asked as he stood looking at Louis whose angry face was now relaxed in sleep. He smoothed Louis' hair out of his eyes as he was speaking.

"Yes, no problem. Let me know...you know...what's happening" Preston asked. Liam gave him a half smile and a nod then headed back to the upper floor where his other bandmate was being treated.

"Any news?" Liam asked as he flung himself down next to Harry who just shook his head, not speaking. He shut his eyes. What was happening to them? This was meant to be a great break. After years of touring and making albums, this was meant to be a time for them to relax and enjoy themselves. So how had it ended like this? Two bandmates, sick,  Zayn no longer part of their brotherhood, totally distancing himself from them, and there was  him and Harry ,hanging onto fading hope for Niall. What had gone so wrong?

"Don't" Liam mumbled. He didn't want to wake up,  he was still tired 'Go away". The hand continued to shake him until he forced his eyes open and looked blearily up at the man who stood over him. "Paul?"

"I'm sorry to wake you but you both need to go and get some proper sleep. Your friend is here" Paul indicated Preston who was standing behind Paul.

"What about Lou?" Liam instantly registered Paul's presence and remembered Louis.

"Still sleeping" Preston said "I'll drop you off and come straight back. I got Basil with him right now"

"Basil's here?" Liam was confused.

"Yeah, I kinda let him know about Niall. He wanted to help out. Come on, let's get you home. Harry's already in the van. He didn't even wake up when I took him."

"But Niall?" Liam turned to Paul . 

"We'll talk later. Please, go get some rest." He walked away leaving Liam to stumble his way out as he followed Preston. Why would nobody give them answers?

Paul watched them go before entering the gowning room. Now was not the time to let them know about Niall's latest battle. They were too exhausted.  He thoroughly washed before dressing  in the surgical scrubs needed to protect Niall ,  and made his way to Niall's room. Niall had had a very bad twelve hours but he was still with them.........just. They had nearly lost him. Dr Peters had  been about to call it when the third attempt at starting Niall's heart had seemed to fail when the beep of the heart monitor had started up once more. It was slow, nearly too slow but it was steady. He looked around as Dr Peters himself came in and stood beside him, both of them looking at their young  patient.

"He's 22" Dr Peters said "looks more like he's a child, doesn't he?"

"I just want him to make it it to 23" Paul  returned " but I just don't know. He's nothing left to fight with, has he?.Next time....." he broke off as another machine began to bleep insistently. Immediately everyone was in a state of action. "F.ck!"