You And I Will Be Talking, Young Man!

"Mr NIall Horan? This is Marie, Dr O'Brian's receptionist. I'm ringing to remind you that you are now very overdue to have a checkup with the doctor. You also need your follow up blood tests done." Niall pulled a face as he listened to the woman's chirpy voice. D*mn. He'd hoped he had gotten away with it but obviously he hadn't. He  had gone with the delaying technique and ignored the fact he was supposed to have made the appointment days ago. He pulled a face and childishly stuck his tongue out at the unseen person on the other end of the phone. "Mr Horan?" 

"Ummh...yeah...I'm a bit busy right now. Could I call you back to schedule it?" Niall asked, trying his best to sound convincing. There was a slight pause before the Receptionest replied that it would be OK but it needed to be done as a matter of some importance. Niall breathed out a sigh of relief then promised he'd call back, he was just in the middle of something right now..He kept his fingers crossed as that little lie slipped out of his mouth but Marie apparently believed him. He grinned as he terminated the call. He  picked up his car keys and headed out, deciding he'd be 'busy' visiting friends.

"Marie? Did you manage to get hold of Niall Horan?" Doctor O'Brian asked as he came out of his office holding the folder of notes that Paul Taylor, Niall's Neurologist had sent him.

"Yes, I did, Doctor. He was busy when I called so he said he'd ring back later to schedule his appointment" Marie responded. Doctor O'Brian sighed heavily, shaking his head before returning to his office. Once there he picked up his phone and keyed in some numbers, drumming his fingers on his desk as he waited for the call to be connected. His call went straight to voice mail so he had to content himself with leaving a message. A very' to the point 'message. Niall hasn't changed, he thought grimly, he knew the lad hated doctors but now was not the time for him  to act up and avoid them. He needed to be monitored.

NIall walked slowly into the Doctor's office, a  scowl on his face. He had had a very stern lecture from Doctor O'Brian about not attending medical appointments and even his Da had made it clear that Niall had to do what he was told. Niall grumbled to himself that he wasn't a child and wished they would all leave him alone. He had thought once he'd had this treatment , that that would be it. He'd be free of doctors unless it was an emergency. After checking himself in, he plonked down on a chair and waited, fidgeting constantly. "Niall?" Doctor O'Brian appeared in the doorway so Niall reluctantly stood up and preceded him into the examination room, the doctor closing the door firmly behind them. "Take a seat, Niall".

"You're a difficult man to track down, Niall" the doctor said pleasantly, ignoring the cross expression on Niall's face. "I'm beginning to think you were avoiding me" Niall looked up at that remark , a guilty expression on his face. Doctor O'Brian laughed.  No, Niall hadn't changed since he was a small boy. He'd do anything to avoid his appointments. "I know you're not a big fan of the medical profession but these appointments are necessary and you do need to have them done." He spoke firmly but quietly, his tone sympathetic. "How are you today?"

"I was fine until I got here" Niall mumbled crossly making the doctor laugh. "I feel OK so why the big deal, anyway?"

"The big deal, Niall, is that you have undergone some very major treatment lately. You nearly died in the process.You appear well at the moment but we need to keep it that way so you are just going to have to suck it up. Now, I'm going to step outside so you can undress...down to the boxers please. Just give me a call when you're ready". He stood up and left the room , leaving Niall to follow his instructions. Niall slowly obeyed then called out he was done, shivering slightly in the cool air of the room. He'd been seen either naked or in his boxers by his bandmates, he didn't even think about it but why, when it was a doctor, did it always make him feel so vulnerable. It was just another aspect he hated.

"Still under weight, Niall. Are you eating properly?" Doctor O'Brian asked as he recorded the information.

"Yeah, just not too hungry these days. I eat though" Niall spoke dismissively. To him it was no big deal. He ate when he was hungry. Maybe not as much as he used to eat , but hey, if he wasn't hungry then why eat?  Did it really matter how much , anyway ?

"Any tummy troubles?" Again, a dismissive shrug of the shoulders. Obviously Niall wasn't in a cooperative mood which was going to make his job even harder. "OK, jump up on the couch" Niall obeyed and was soon being poked and prodded about. He answered when spoken to but wasn't volunteering any information which worried the doctor.He  tried again . "Niall, I do need you to be honest with me, have you had anything out of the ordinary happen? You feel well?" Again the shrug.

The doctor went to his desk and spent a few minutes writing down his notes then scanning the file that Paul Taylor had sent him. Every time he had tried to examine Niall's stomach, Niall had tensed up making it impossible. The doctor returned to the examination couch and  started to talking to Niall to distract him then suddenly palpitated Niall's abdomen making him  squeak in pain." So, everything isn't OK then?" he said quietly as Niall colored up with embarrassment. "You and I will be talking, young man. I'm just going to get the nurse to come and take some blood samples. You've also a B12 injection to have and I want a urine sample as well." He  buzzed his nurse who entered the room moments later. "I'll leave you with Caoimhe and we'll talk when she's done with you. You can get dressed when she's finished" He walked out leaving Niall and Caoimhe looking at each other, both blushing slightly.

"How are you?" they both said in unison then laughed.

"I'm good" Caoimhe said "You?"

"I'd be better if I wasn't here" Niall acknowledged then decided he'd bite the bullet " Ummh, Caoimhe? You know when I said I was your boyfriend at the hospital? I hope I didn't annoy you?"

"No, it was kind of you. That man is a creep. I know you were just saying that to help me out" She smiled at him then continued " let's get this stuff done". Niall sat quietly as she filled  several vials of blood, labelling them carefully. "OK, injection now" Niall sat and gazed at her, waiting. "Umm, Niall? It's got to go in your ....ahh.. Turn around, Boxers down" Niall went brick red but did as he was told, telling himself it was only his butt cheek she could see and she'd blanket bathed him at the hospital anyway. He couldn't hold in the 'Oww" as the needle went in, making the nurse laugh. "Big baby" she giggled. 

Boxers rapidly pulled up, Niall turned to face Caoimhe. It was now or never. He screwed up his courage. "Ummh, Caoimhe?" She looked up and smiled at him. "When I said I was your boyfriend, actually, I'd like to be" He spoke shyly. "Would you.........mmh......go out with me?"