One More Time.

"I can't believe this is going to be the final One Direction Concert" Harry said in amazement at how fast time had flown by for them . "The reunion tour has just gone so fast, it seems like it's only been a few  weeks and not those many  months".

"Yeah, I know what you mean, mate" Liam answered "It's been cool though, and the fans have enjoyed it. You know, if I'm honest, I never expected them to come in such numbers. I mean, they've been  filling the stadiums , just like they did when we toured when we were younger.  It was like we never stopped for all those years. What'ya think Nialler?"

"Best fans on the planet" Niall smiled as he spoke. "They always promised they would stay for us and they did." He lapsed back into what had  now become his habitual silence.

"Where's Lou?" Harry suddenly asked, noticing that they were missing their noisiest member of the band. At one time Niall had had that title but  he had stayed withdrawn, increasingly  quiet since finding out that the other lads had actually seen Zayn. He never  mentioned it to them and they were too nervous to bring up the subject themselves. It was like Zayn had never been part of Niall's life though they all knew the deep pain Niall still felt inside. They understood. Niall's life had been so intertwined with Zayn's own but now either of them were in contact.  When the boys had discussed the Niall/Zayn situation amongst themselves, they all agreed that if only Zayn would see Niall, the rift , if you could call it that, would be healed but Zayn had kept his distance . How did one describe the situation between Niall and Zayn? It wasn't even  as if they had argued. Zayn had a major place  Niall's heart and, just as Caoimhe's death had ripped a huge hole there, so had Zayn's leaving and Niall's heart seemed destined never to be in one whole piece again.

 As if the mention of his name had drawn him like a magnet, Louis suddenly bounced into the room, his eyes glittering with suppressed excitement as he loudly  announced it was time for the sound check. He stood aside as Niall passed through the door then gave a single nod of the head to the other two men before preceding them to the stage. Liam and Harry exchanged looks. Louis was a in strange mood today and that usually boded ill. Mischief was afoot. Sound check satisfactorily completed, Niall and Liam were meeting up with Aoife and Taylor for lunch. Taylor worked for his dad and was proving to already have a good grasp of the music industry. Aoife had decided to follow in her mothers footsteps and train as a nurse. The young couple were already seated when Liam and Niall arrived at the restaurant. Once they had all ordered their food, Aoife turned to Taylor and they smiled at each other before Aoife took a deep breath, then handed her Da and Liam each a sheet of paper. Niall's jaw dropped and Liam looked equally stunned.They both looked at each other then back to the papers in their hands while Aoife and Taylor waited nervously.

"Da?" Aoife broke the silence. "Da, say something."

"I....oh Aoife....how did this happen" Niall said

"Well" said Aoife cheekily ". I thought you knew  about the birds and the bees, Da,  but I'll explain it all to you  if you want.  Taylor and I ...."

"No, no....I didn't mean that. I mean I know how it happened. I'm just........" Niall spluttered, blushing furiously. He'd never got over his embarrassment about these things even after all these years. He looked so adorable, with his cheeks crimson , making the other three smile at his obvious confusion.

"Mate, looks like we're officially going to be  Granddads ! " Liam leant around  the table and pulled first Aoife , then Taylor, into a hug.   "Congrats guys. We'll be really cool, young granddaddies."

"Aoife" Niall's eyes were bright with tears "my little Aoife".   Aoife stood up and went and  knelt  in front of her father, reaching to wrap her arms tightly  around his waist.

"Are you happy?" she asked and got a nod of the head. Niall was too emotional to speak. Where had the time gone? One moment he'd been holding a tiny baby in his arms and now that same child would soon be holding her own little one in her arms. Niall smiled down at her and hugged back. If there was one pain that hurt him, it was the pain of knowing Caoimhe would never hold her grandchild. He pushed the pain down, smiling for Aoife. 

"When's Baby due" Liam asked once the initial shock had worn off.

" Just under six months time" Taylor answered looking as if he could barely wait that long. He was almost bouncing with joy.

"But that means you're already three month along" Niall said, frowning as he mentally checked his math. "You  never said a word" his tone was slight hurt. He stared down  at Aoife's tummy which showed no sign of her pregnancy. "Are you sure?" he asked, trying to think back to when Caoimhe was carrying Aoife. When did she show?

"I know Da, we just wanted to make sure things were OK before we said anything.. And yes, I am sure." She smiled on seeing the slightly bewildered expression on her Dad's face ." I didn't want you worrying. I know what you're like." Aoife said placatingly. "You know stress and worry aren't good for you." She patted his hand comfortingly then stood to her feet, Niall  carefully helping her ,as if she had suddenly become  as delicate as spun glass. Liam smiled to himself, remembering  how Niall had been with Caoimhe. So protective of her yet unable to have prevented the accident that robbed him of his wife ,and Aoife of her mummy.

"Don't hide stuff from me again, Aoife Maebh" Niall said, trying to sound stern and just ended up sounding adorably sweet."You shouldn't hide stuff. What if something had happened ? " he fretted.

"You can talk" Liam retorted swiftly. "You are the world's worst for that". He ruffled Niall's hair and Niall grinned sheepishly. Liam had him there. And Aoife, being his daughter,  had obviously inherited some of his worst traits along with the better ones.

The meal ended on a celebratory  note but  both Niall and Liam had floated out of the restaurant on a cloud of  equal measures of happiness and concern. They both  definitely had unspoken concerns. Grandparents ! Niall wasn't quite sure if he  and Liam were  totally ready for this, barely in their  forties as they were. And Aoife  and Taylor were so young, little more than  babies themselves.Still, a little one was on the way and there was no going back. 

Niall was even quieter than ever on the drive back to the stadium. Liam glanced  sideways at him from time to time, wondering what was going through his friend's mind these days. He was bound to worry about Aoife and her pregnancy couldn't help but bring back unhappy memories for Niall but more and more , it seemed that Niall had some how diminished..He parked the car and unbuckled his seatbeat but Niall still sat there, staring ahead.

"Niall, we're here" Liam spoke softly, not wanting to suddenly jar Niall out of his thoughts. "Come on mate, time to be One Direction one more time.". Niall gave him a half smile and got out of the car, Liam following. Liam  suddenly  felt butterflies churning in his stomach. He'd always been nervous before they did concerts but this anxious feeling was on  a whole new level. Something like panic was beginning to settle in and he started to go pale. Niall turned and looked at Liam, over his shoulder.

"You alright mate, you look like you've seen a ghost".