Nope. Not Going There.

Paul smiled to himself as he turned to look at the blushing mess that was Niall. He realised then that he hadn't given Niall the results of 'that' test .  He grinned as he looked at Niall, a twinkle in his eye, "Ah yes, Niall. I'd advise using a condom if you don't want to get your girlfriend pregnant" He winked at Niall then left. Niall collapsed back on his pillows, hands over his face as relief washed over him. Wow!

"This is the last transfusion you should need now, Niall" The nurse adjusted the iV carefully. You'll have a quick blood test tomorrow and then if all is as it should be, we'll be sending you home" Niall grinned happily. Things were getting better and better.  The chemo hadn't, by some miracle, made him infertile and he was getting to go home. Finally he was going to be able to have a life with the possible return of the MS now some vague worry that lurked in the shadows. It was light at the end of the tunnel and he was no longer stumbling through the dark.

The next morning, following a satisfactory blood test, Niall was busy stuffing his possessions into a backpack when there was a brief knock at the door. He turned and gave a shout of delight as Louis came into the room. "Lou, where did you spring from?" he wanted to know. "I thought you'd be in LA"

"Yeah mate, I was, but it's the 'Brits'. Liam and I are going. You able to come?" Louis was keen to know but got a negative shake of the head from Niall.

"Na, I have to avoid large groups of people for a while. Just in case. My immune system is still not fully up and running. I'm going home to Ireland for a few weeks then the world is my oyster, as they say" Niall was bouncing with excitement at the thought.

"Ready to leave? Got everything?" Louis looked around the room, scanning it for any item Niall might have missed.Niall nodded ' Come on, then" Louis said "Liam's waiting in the car"

"But, I thought Basil was......" Niall's voice trailed away and he looked slightly confused.

"He was" Louis confirmed "but we wanted to spend some time with you. Lots to catch up on, mate" Louis swung Niall's bag over his shoulder and headed out, waiting patiently as Niall collected his medications , list of follow up appointments and  instructions then said goodbye to his nurses. Louis felt a rush of affection for this young Irishman wash over him, so grateful that Niall had come through his ordeal so well. He couldn't bear to think about what life would have been without their crazy little leprechaun in their lives.

The three young men spent the rest of the day talking non stop and Niall became more and more relaxed.Harry hadn't been able to join them but he'd phoned and , with the phone on speaker, they had spent over an hour chatting. Eventually Niall started to feel tired, jerking himself awake every time he fell into a doze. Exhaustion finally won and his eyes stayed closed. Liam carefully picked him up and carried him up to the guest room. Niall felt very light in his arms as he still hadn't regained all the weight he'd lost the last few months, and  didn't even stir when Liam removed his clothing, leaving him just in his boxers,then pulling the covers over him. He couldn't resist ruffling Niall's hair before leaving him to sleep. He headed back down the stairs to where Louis was pouring them both a  couple of beers.

"He hasn't mentioned Zayn at all" Louis said quietly "Do you think Zee has contacted him" The old nickname slipped out of Louis' mouth from habit.

"Dunno, mate. Zayn did mention in that interview yesterday that he'd had an email from one of us but he said he wasn't going to say  from whom. It wasn't from me. Harry said he hadn't emailed Zayn. You didn't, so that just leaves our Nialler" Liam had a very concerned look on his face as he spoke. Zayn had done his best to break the close bond that he'd once had with their little leprechaun and it had devastated Niall. This email could only lead to trouble, in his view." I don't even know if we should mention it to Niall. Maybe sort of ask if he did email Zee?"

"Sort of ask?" Louis rolled his eyes " How do you 'sort of ask'  mate? And what if Zee has ignored him again? We could stir up all sorts of sh*t. Not sure we should risk it, bro."

"I know, I know" Liam rubbed his hand over his face as he spoke, muffling his voice slightly ' but I can't help worrying. He's doing great but what if he gets down again? I just want to make sure he's OK"

"We all do,Li, we all do" Louis took a long drink of his beer before he continued . "I know he's a grown man but somehow Ni has never quite managed to lose that innocence about him. We'll figure it out" He finished his beer then yawned and stretched. "I'm turning in, I'm jet lagged. G'night mate" Louis headed up the stairs. Liam called good night after him but stayed on the couch, idly turning the beer glass around and around in his hands. He wanted to protect Niall but had no idea just how he was going to do that.

Liam drove Niall to the airport the next morning and stayed with him until his flight to Dublin was called. Niall was glad to be heading home and looking forward to finally being able to spend time with his family. Maybe do a bit of bridge building between him and Greg. His brother had made it clear he felt Niall was ignoring him but it wasn't the truth. Maybe Greg would understand better why Niall had appeared so distant of late. Niall wanted that close bond back again. Heaven knows, so much in his life had been broken lately.

"Greg, Da" Niall flung an arm around each man and pulled them into a hug. "It's great to be home" The three men chatted back and forth as Greg drove them towards Mullingar.  "Can't wait to see Theo. I'll bet he's grown so much" Niall was excited to see his little nephew . He'd got several gifts tucked away in his bags for him. And if Niall was being completely honest with himself, he also  hoped to maybe hear from  someone else. He frowned  slightly as he thought about it.

Niall had been back in Mulligar for a few days before he finally got around to reading all the information that the hospital had provided. He scanned the notes quickly. He groaned quietly to himself. He was supposed to arrange for some blood tests to be done. He hated needles with a passion . Nope, not going there, he thought. I'll leave it, he thought to himself. If he didn't mention it, nobody would know and he could get away with it. Yes, that's exactly what he'd do. Ignore it.