I Never Touched Her!

'Right! Come on Zee, I need to talk to you"  Niall  thought  as  he searched through his contacts, selecting the one he needed. Nothing.Nada. The contact no longer existed. Niall frowned then looked again. Zayn had cut all ties. Niall leant back against his headboard, devastated as it finally sunk in. Niall recalled only too clearly what Zayn had written in the letter he had left for Niall at the hospital: 

"I'll be back in the US by the time you read this. I am going to stay out of your lives now. I want you to know that even though our paths won't cross again, I will always love my four brothers. Stay safe for me, little bro.

Your big brother,

Zayn

Zayn really meant it, "I am going to stay out of your lives now " He had deliberately taken himself out of Niall's life. Niall sat staring at his computer screen,looking totally lost.

"Ring,Ring" Niall blinked. Someone was trying to Skype with him. Louis! Niall quickly answered.

"Hey Nialler, how's it going" Louis looked exhausted but happy  as he cradled his newborn son in his arms 

"Hey Lou, It's great to see you and the little guy. Congrats" Niall pasted a smile on his face but Louis wasn't deceived.

"Thanks , Bro.  But how are you? Really?"

"Great. Doing great" Niall responded quickly.

"But how about you really  answer the question.?Like what are you doing up at "Louis glanced at his watch  "3am your time? And why you look like absolute Sh*t."

"I did answer " Niall replied

"Nope. You didn't. Ni, I can tell something's wrong. You can't lie, you're useless at it. So tell Uncle Lou what's the matter" Louis used a teasing tone, knowing that if he pushed that little too hard, Niall would clam up. But it was clear from Niall's demeanour that all was not well with the Irishman. Louis glanced down at his tiny son, cradled in his arms "Stay there, Ni. Don't go anywhere. I'll be right back" Louis stood up and went to carefully lay the baby down in his cradle.

 As soon as he had left, Niall leant back against his pillows,  eyes closed , rubbing his throbbing temples, his brows pulled together in pain from the migraine that was starting. Louis came back quietly and didn't speak as he sat down facing the screen once again.  studied his bandmate carefully before he spoke. Niall's face was pale and drawn, his hair looked like Niall had repeatedly run his hands through it and his shoulders were stiff with tension. He was in obvious pain too.

"Liar" 

"Mmmh, what?" Niall's eyes jerked open and he sat up abruptly.

"You're a f*cking  liar." Louis said  bluntly.

"You shouldn't cuss in front of the baby" Niall retorted

"Shut it, Horan" Louis snapped back, feeling irritated, more with himself than with Niall. He stared at Niall who stared back silently.  "Niall? Answer me"

"You told me to shut it" Niall retorted, equally snappily.

"Don't f*ck with me Niall. And don't try and change the subject" Louis ran his hands through his own hair in frustration ."Look at you! I'm not stupid and I'm not f*cking blind, either"

"Lou, I'm just tired. I'm fine"

"No, you're not fine , Ni. Come on. I want to help" Louis said quietly. "Ni........."

"OK,OK " Niall gave up, realising that Louis wasn't going to let it drop "I had a really bad nightmare , about the MS and that new treatment and stuff. I wanted to talk to someone...to Zayn...I was going to Skype him but he's deleted his account".