Ground Control To Niall. Come In Please.

"Congratulations, Tommo. That's great news. Yeah, we'll tell Ni. I know he'll be happy for you". Liam smiled as  he spoke.  Louis sounded so excited.

"How's Ni?" His good news passed on, Louis was anxious to know how Niall was doing. He hated the fact he'd had to leave Niall, especially after assuring him he'd always be there for him. He knew Niall was feeling Zayn's lack of contact enormously. Zayn had pulled him through so much and then  suddenly it was like Niall had ceased to exist for him. Louis wished he knew why.

" He's OK,  missing you but we're making sure he knows you are checking on him. He's feeling very sensitive now, what with Zayn's recent remarks. He doesn't understand. We're not letting him read any of the interviews" Liam responded. "He had a meltdown earlier but he seems OK now"

"Thanks, Li. I'm glad you and Hazz are with him. I know he's promised he'd never  attempt to..well, you know...but I can't help worrying. I still have nightmares about that night" Louis confessed.

"I go cold every time I think of it, too." Liam said "and I didn't actually have to deal with it. Hey Lou, before I forget, have you been following the media trend and Twitter?"

"Nah, been too busy with  watching my son enter the world" Louis still sounded buzzed "What's happening?"

"Uncle Si, is what's happening. The media are  doing a rapid about face thanks to all the parents of the children you've helped"

"But that was meant to be private!" Louis said rather shocked.

"They thought otherwise. People got upset at you being trashed, mate, when you didn't deserve it. And the best bit is, Uncle Si went to visit certain people" Liam said in tones of great satisfaction . "Louis? You still there?" Liam asked as the line went suddenly silent.

"Yeah. I'm speechless" 

"Tommo, speechless! Now that is media worthy! "Liam sassed raising a definite gurgle of laughter from his friend."You get back to your son, mate, and don't worry, we'll take care of Nialler." Liam ended the call then returned to Niall's hospital room to pass on the news that Louis' new title was officially 'Daddy'.

"Where's Caoimhe?" Niall asked the young nurse that had  just entered his room " and what are you planning?" he nervously eyed the covered tray in her hand. He had the distinct feeling that he wasn't going to be happy when he found out.

"Caoimhe? That's the Irish nurse, isn't it. She's left."

"Left! When? Why?" Niall immediately wailed

"She broke off her engagement after finding her Fiance cheating on her. She decided to leave as she didn't want to keep bumping into him. He's a doctor here" the nurse offered by way of explanation.

"I liked her" Niall grumbled

"Well I'm afraid you'll have to put up with me as I have taken over your care. Now, if you'll just sit back down on your bed, I need to take some blood from you as Doctor Miller has requested some tests be done to see how you are progressing". Niall sat down on his bed, a slight scowl on his face. It was no secret he hated needles.

"Do I have to?" he asked a little fractiously " I hate needles".

"Yes, you do . And don't be such a baby" the nurse said firmly as she prepared the syringe ready to draw blood. Niall frowned but sat still, pointedly looking away from the sharp needle that was about to puncture his arm. "And you have an MRI scheduled for tomorrow morning." She informed him briskly as she gathered everything up prior to leaving the room." Doctor has prescribed a sedative for you as he is aware of your claustrophobia, so I shall be administering that for you tomorrow" She smiled breezily and walked out, leaving Niall grumbling to himself.

Harry wandered into Niall's room and dropped a bag of Nandos on Niall's bedside table. He'd gained the doctors permission for Niall to have something beyond the very bland food he had been forced to eat. Much to his surprise, Niall made no reaction. He didn't even seem to be aware of Harry's presence in the room. Harry's eyebrows drew together in a tiny frown. Wherever Niall's thoughts were, they seemed far away from the plain white hospital room.

"Ground Control to Niall, Ground Control to Niall, come in please"Harry said but Niall still continued to stare at the newspaper cutting in his hand. "Niall, I've been talking to you for the last ten minutes and I swear you've not heard a word" Harry sounded totally frustrated  but still Niall seemed lost in his own little bubble."NIALL!" Harry finally shouted. Niall looked up, slightly dazed.

"Mmmhh?" 

"Niall, honestly. It's been like talking to a brick wall. Talk to me."

"Sorry Hazza, I was thinking"

"I can see that. Just what is so interesting about that newspaper cutting?" Harry reached over and tugged it out of Niall's hand and started to read the lengthy article. He looked up at Niall, his expression a curious mix of shock and disbelief'. Niall just nodded. "Li, read this" Harry held it out to Liam who had just entered the room. Liam read the article slowly, his lips moving as he read, then he dropped heavily onto the chair next to Harry as he also stared at Niall.