But That Was Then. Now?

"OK, Niall, you'll need to take everything off and put this gown on for me" Niall eyed the proffered garment the nurse was holding out to him  with distaste. He hated the damn things and why did he have to wear it anyway? What was wrong with his  flannel bottoms and baggy T. And what about his boxers? He hated the feeling of being so vulnerable. He shook his head and didn't take the folded item . "Niall, please. We don't have time for this" the nurse was exasperated.

"Hey Ni, you being difficult?" a cheerful voice said from the door.

"Li! Mate, come in and rescue me". Niall begged him. Liam walked in and took the hated gown from the nurse. "I'll get him sorted" he smiled at her. With a relieved look on her face, she hurriedly left the room hoping that Niall's visitor would get her patient to cooperate.

"Right Nialler, strip!" Liam said firmly as he pulled Niall's T shirt over his head. "You going to do the rest or are you going to make me do it?" Liam raised an eyebrow at Niall who glowered at him but pulled the gown on before pulling down his PJ bottoms and boxers. Liam tied the tapes at the back for him then said 'cute arse" making Niall turn and punch him on the shoulder. "What's on the agenda for today?" Liam wanted to know when Niall was sat back on his bed.

"Not sure about everything but I have to have the scans done. " Niall said quietly. He was getting increasingly nervous as it got nearer and nearer to the time when he'd find out if the SCT had been a success. Part of him wanted to know the results but another part of him, the scared part, wished he could stay ignorant. What if it hadn't been a success? How would he feel about it, especially after everything he had risked in going through the treatment. He started fidgeting with the sheet on his bed, folding it into little pleats which he pulled apart only to start all over again.Part of his mind registered his hands were shaking quite badly.

"Ready Sweetheart?" Another nurse had appeared, the usual covered tray in her hands. " I'll just give you your sedative as Mr Taylor wants the scans done first. Pop into bed properly, please" Niall did as he was requested and lent back against the pillows. He looked away from his arm as the nurse cleaned the area then slid the needle in, making Niall flinch slightly. "All done" she announced cheerfully. "We'll just let you get nice and sleepy then you'll be taken down."

"Ummmh, could Liam come with me....please?" Niall asked anxiously as he looked from Liam to the nurse.

"I'm sorry, no. I know you're very nervous but really, you won't be awake. He can stay until we take you down and he is welcome  to  wait here for you though it would be better if he came back later this evening."the nurse said kindly but firmly and Niall's face fell with disappointment.  He didn't want to admit it but he was scared out of his mind. It wasn't the scan itself, it was the whole thing and what hinged on the results.

"I don't think I can do this" Niall said suddenly after a few minutes after the nurse had left them alone . "Li, help me get dressed. I don't want to have the scans done. I just want out of here". Niall pushed the bedcovers aside , swung his legs over the side of the bed and slid his feet down onto the cold floor, wobbling slightly as the sedative was beginning to take effect."I can't stay....." his voice was now sounding panicked . Liam stood swiftly and caught his bandmate as he swayed where he stood. Using his greater strength he quickly lifted Niall back onto the bed and held Niall there as he pressed the nurses call bell. Niall struggling against him but was  no  match for the bigger man .The  combined effects of his recent treatment, and the sedative, had robbed him of all his strength.

"Oh dear" the nurse said as she entered the room. She bustled up to the bed and quickly checked her patient over as Liam kept a light hold on him. "What's the problem?" she asked Liam as Niall was gradually slipping into a twilight sleep"