"Sit Yourself Down, Niall"

"Where are we heading, Li? Come on, mate. You are being so secretive. What the f.ck is up?" Niall was getting more and more irritable as Liam kept ignoring him. He was up to something and Niall had gut feeling that this wasn't going to be good. He slumped back in the seat and glared at Liam's profile. Liam spared him a brief glance then turned his attention immediately back to the road. Liam was surprised Niall hadn't noticed the direction they were heading yet, but then, Niall had been so absorbed in trying to wheedle information out of him to pay too much attention to his surroundings.

"We're here" Liam said quietly as he pulled into a free parking place.

"No! No f.cking way!" Niall yelled but Liam ignored his outburst. Niall tried to wrench the car door open so he could get out but Liam had expected the outburst and had the child locks engaged. Liam hopped out and went around to the passenger side to open the door. He immediately grabbed Niall so he couldn't take off. Niall struggled wildly to try and free himself but Liam had the greater strength and body weight so it was useless.

"Niall, calm down" Liam spoke firmly "either you come quietly or I carry you in there. What's it to be, mate? You're going in anyway so you can do it the dignified way or like a toddler in a tantrum. Your choice."

"Walk" Niall said tersely and Liam nodded. He still kept a hold of Niall's arm, not trusting the small Irishman and led him into the building.

"Niall Horan. He has a 9am appointment ." Liam said to the Receptionist who smiled at both men and invited them to take a seat, informing them that Mr Caldwell would be with them shortly.

"Niall, come through" James Caldwell called out from his door but Niall remained stubbornly in his seat. He was not being pushed into this.

"Niall!" Liam said in a warning tone but Niall just folded his arms and glared at the door. Liam threw James an apologetic look then grabbed Niall and hauled him onto his feet and pushed him towards James. Niall dug his feet in, making it as hard for Liam as he could, but Liam's strength prevailed and Niall admitted defeat. He reluctantly walked through the door, Liam following , and sat down in the chair James indicated with Liam standing behind him, rubbing his shoulder soothingly. He felt bad that he's tricked Niall to get him to the appointment but he knew it had been the only way.

"Now then Niall, I see you are not happy to be here. I'm beginning to think you are avoiding me" James said pleasantly. "Your doctor has been in contact with me as she's concerned that you are not doing as well as perhaps you could be at the moment.I know you hate dealing with this but we can only help you if you are honest with us. So.....?" James left the question hanging. He sat back in his chair and crossed his legs, waiting patiently for an answer he wasn't sure he'd be getting. He sighed quietly as Niall just shrugged. "OK. Niall, you know the drill. Would you like Liam to stay or wait for you?"

"Stay" Niall said quietly " please..."

"That's fine" James rang for his nurse who escorted both men into the examination room where Niall was given the despised gown which he immediately put on a chair.

"Just open the door when you are ready, then" the nurse said as she smiled at both men and left them, closing the door behind her.

"Look, Nialler. I'm sorry but you don't look after yourself, mate" Liam was apologetic but unrepentant. Niall looked over at him and shook his head before speaking

"Na, I am the one who should be sorry. I know I behave like a brat. It's just that I hate all this, Li." Niall slowly started to undress and Liam folded the clothes neatly as Niall removed them, placing them tidily on a chair.

"Ready?" Liam asked and opened the door a little when Niall gave a nod, shivering slightly in just his boxers. There was no way he was putting that gown on. The nurse came in immediately and started the routine checks on Niall, noting down his weight, blood pressure readings and temperature on her charts before getting ready to take some blood samples. Liam came and sat next to him on the examination couch and pulled Niall's head into his shoulder. Niall still hated needles with a passion and he was grateful to Liam for the comfort.

"Ok, sweetheart" the elderly nurse said cheerfully "all done. You can relax now" She patted Niall's arm "I'll tell Mr Caldwell you are all ready now" and she disappeared through the adjoining door to James' office.

James was very thorough with his examination and, much to his surprise, Niall was more forthcoming than normal when answering the questions put to him. It made his life so much easier when Niall was co-operative. He concluded his examination then invited Niall to dress and come back to his office when he was ready.

"Well Niall, I am going to get the scans done. We can do them today then I should be able to see what is going on. Are you up for that?" he raised an eyebrow at the blond who gulped nervously but nodded his head.

"Good. I'll get the nurse to take you and Liam to a room where you can relax and she can administer the sedative I'll write you up for. Still not a fan of enclosed spaces, I take it?" Niall shook his head .

"Don't worry, we won't let you suffer. Liam are you staying around?" James asked and Liam confirmed he would be. "Excellent. We'll talk later" James buzzed for his nurse who appeared quickly and led both men to a quiet room on the second floor.

"I'm sorry, sweetheart" You really do need to take everything off and put the gown on this time. I'll be back in a few minutes. Niall groaned and undressed for the second time. Why did they make him wear these stupid gowns? He sat on the edge of the bed and started reading his texts then exploded after reading one from Aoife.

"Even my daughter f.cking knew!" Niall yelled at Liam who just grinned sheepishly.Niall huffed then threw his phone down, glaring at the floor.

"Here we are" the nurse came back into the room with a covered tray in her hand and Niall eyed it nervously. The dreaded sedative. He appreciated it helped with coping with the scans but still...needles...ugh!" . The nurse smiled at him and picked up the syringe. She felt very sympathetic as she saw Niall visibly shake. "Oh, who is that ?" she asked and Niall immediately looked away from her and towards the door. She slid the needle in so swiftly and gently that Niall didn't even register it was done. He looked back at her, waiting for the jab of pain but was surprised to see the discarded syringe on the tray and the nurse already placing a tiny band aide over the small puncture site.

"Now then laddie, you get onto the bed properly and relax" She waited until Niall had done as she had bid then pulled a light blanket over him before leaving him to chat quietly with Liam. Eventually Niall decided it was too hard to keep his eyes open and let them shut. Eventually even conversation became too much of an effort so he he relaxed into the floaty sensation that the sedative gave him. Moments later, two porters appeared and Niall was gently transferred onto the gurney and taken to the imaging unit for the scans, leaving Liam to wait for him.

Niall blinked sleepily then sat slowly up. He was back in his room again. Liam looked up from his phone and smiled at him. "Glad you've surfaced mate.Your snoring was keeping me awake"

"Don't snore" Niall said huffily

" you do " Liam replied then frowned as Niall swung his legs over the side of the bed and stood up, swaying slightly.

"Woah..head rush" Niall said as he grabbed onto Liam. He stood a few moments then let go.

"Get back into bed mate" Liam suggested but Niall shook his head and headed to the adding bathroom. He relieved himself then washed his hands before splashing cold water over his face to wake himself up. He'd just got back into the room when James appeared, the inevitable manilla folder and charts in his hands. Niall felt his stomach drop. He hated this. Part of him wanted to know, the other part.................well. He gulped quietly

"Sit yourself down Niall" James waved a hand at the bed and Niall did as he was told, looking nervously at James who was looking down at the contents of the folder. " Now, I have all your test results here and...........