"Maybe I Should Join You"

"It's getting cold" Niall broke away from his sombre thoughts "We should head back." . They both stood but Niall was hit by a dizzy spell and had to clutch onto Jacey until his world became level once more. "Jeez" he muttered 'Head rush!"

"Niall, are you OK? You're as white as a sheet" Jacey kept a steadying hand on his arm. "Come on, let's get you home. I'll call Graeham"

"No, I'm fine, honestly. I don't need Graeham. I just stood up too quickly and gave myself a head rush. I don't need a doctor" Niall broke away from her and stomped towards the Range Rover. Jacey bit her lip as she followed him. That man was so stubborn. He obviously wasn't well but why wouldn't he admit it. Well, she was calling Graeham, no matter what Niall said. He'd be mad at her but she had to do something. When would the man realise that he wasn't indestructible.

The journey became  silent. Niall ignored Jacey's attempts to talk and she eventually gave up. He was like a grumpy toddler when he was in one of these moods and arguing with him was pointless.From time to time, Jacey darted glances at him as she drove but Niall stared resolutely forward, not acknowledging her presence. She loved him but right now she felt she could shake him  hard. If there was only some way to get him to understand that paying attention to his health would benefit him. Niall seemed to think that ignoring things would make them go away then got angry when things got worse. Stubborn Irishman, she fumed to herself. Once the security gates of Niall's home had shut behind the car and Jacey had pulled up and stopped, Niall stumbled quickly from the car and entered the house. Jacey followed him and stood watching as he stalked up the stairs and into his bedroom, the door slamming shut behind him. Moments later she heard the shower running.

Graeham arrived quickly after getting a call from Jacey. She let him in quietly and they talked briefly before Graeham picked up his bag and headed upstairs to Niall's room. He knocked sharply on the door then entered immediately, not waiting for an invitation to enter. Niall was sprawled across his bed, just a towel wrapped around his waist. He'd been too tired  to either  dry himself off , nor get properly dressed.

"Hey Nialler" Graeham approached the bed and sat down on the edge "How's it going?" . Niall's eyes opened and he stared at Graeham with disfavour but didn't speak. Graeham opened his bag and took out various items of equipment. He began to examine Niall who lay there, neither helping nor resisting the doctor. Graeham made no comment but methodically  and thoroughly went through his checklist before addressing Niall again.

"Got a bit of a temperature, lad. Not too high but we need to keep an eye on it. Blood pressure is lower than normal. Care to share how you're feeling?" Graeham smiled encouragingly at Niall who did his trademark shrug. "Come on Ni, work with me. Jacey is worried about you.

"I'm fine. When will you leave me alone?" Niall muttered turning his head away.

"When you grow up" Graeham said firmly "Now, let's try again. How are you feeling?"

"Tired, dizzy from time to time, bit breathless sometimes ." Niall finally admitted

"OK. Just that?" Graeham enquired

"Not hungry but my stomach's OK. Don't feel too sick or anything" Niall said and pushed himself up into a sitting position.

"I'll take some blood samples" Graeham said, rummaging in his bag again to extract the necessary equipment. "When do you see James again?"

"Next week." Niall sounded nervous. Graeham nodded his head in acknowledgement. A lot hung on that appointment as it would be when Niall found out if the recent treatment was worth continuing. Niall was obviously stressed out by the waiting. Graeham quickly took the blood from Niall's arm, carefully labelling the six vials . It was the quickest way to start eliminating things.

"Right, all done. Why don't you stay in bed, get some rest?" Graeham stood and waited until Niall had got under the bedcovers and curled up. "Jacey'll bring you something to eat later but some decent sleep is what's needed". He patted Niall's shoulder and left to go and speak to Jacey who was anxiously pacing back and forth, her mind running through all the things that could be wrong with Niall.

"Jacey, slow down. You'll wear a groove in the floor" Graeham laughed. 

"What's wrong? Is it serious?" Jacey was almost tripping over her words in her anxiety.

"Slight temperature, BP is a bit low and I've taken some samples so I can get blood work done. To be honest, nothing springs to mind. Possible anaemia, maybe. He's very underweight . What's his appetite like?"

"Not good. He picks at his food. Funny really, Louis told me once that Niall was a bottomless pit when it came to food. Now it's a battle to get him to eat enough.'" Jacey said wryly.

"Well, see if he'll eat later. I'll take these samples to the lab and get them tested. Call me if there are any more problems." Graeham picked up his bag and Jacey walked him to the door. Once he had left, she went into the kitchen and prepared some soup and a sandwich and took it up to Niall.

"Niall, angel, are you awake?" Jacey called softly ' looking at the huddled shape on the bed. Niall rolled onto his back then sat up.

"Yeah, I wasn't asleep." Niall rubbed his hand over his face as he spoke. "Mmmh, smells good"

"Just soup and a sandwich but you need to eat" Jacey placed the tray over his lap but Niall made no move to eat. Jacey picked up the spoon and scooped up some soup holding it to his lips, smiling when he swallowed a mouthful. She repeated the action a few more times but then Niall abruptly stopped and moved the tray onto his bedside table.

"Come snuggle" he whispered, taking Jacey into his arms and laying down, pulling her with him, under the bedcovers He buried his face into her long hair, breathing in her delicate perfume and humming contentedly. Jacey turned her head and kissed him gently and smiled when she felt Niall's cold hand slip under her shirt to rub soothing circles on her back. Niall started to return the kisses and soon they were both lost in their own little world.

"Niall, you're not wearing anything" Jacey suddenly realised. The towel Niall had had wrapped around his hips had  long since fallen away. Niall blushed, making Jacey laugh. "Silly, I've seen it all before" she commented making Niall's cheeks glow an even brighter red."I'm feeling slightly overdressed in comparison. Maybe I should join you" she teased, expecting Niall to  grow even more embarrassed, as he usually did.

"Maybe you should" Niall whispered, looking into Jacey's eyes, his own bright blue ones burning intensely.