Silhouette

"Where's Zayn" Liam looked around as Louis approached the car alone.

"Gone. I went to get him and he wasn't there. One of the nurses saw him leave. I guess he really meant it when he said he wasn't staying around. I don't know, I'd hoped..." Louis shrugged. Zayn had never intended staying. Maybe it was for the best but didn't Niall deserve to know that Zayn had never really deserted him all those years ago? "Come on, let's go" Louis climbed in the car and waited for the other two to join him.

The doctor finished reading Niall's charts then briskly set about examining his patient. Niall get out a whimper as the doctor checked the incision site on his stomach. It was healing well but was still sore to the touch.

"Healing well, Niall. A few more days and you can think about getting out of bed and being a little more mobile. " The doctor said pleasantly.

"When can I go home?" Niall wanted to know. He was bored still, despite the other lads coming in daily to amuse him.

"Not yet. We need that stomach settled down. We also need to make sure you totally understand the dietary restrictions you'll need to have in place. I've spoken to your Management as to what you'll need while touring and they have assured me that everything will be arranged for you. They are also arranging a doctor to travel with you all to make sure you all stay fit. Niall sighed. Their new management was great, really treated them all well but this felt like all control was bring taken from him again. Was he never going to be allowed to live his own life?

"That's not necessary" Niall said crossly

"It is" Liam said as he entered the room having overheard the conversation. "I've just been speaking to Management. I think it's a great idea, don't you, Doc?" He got a confirming node from Niall's doctor who quietly excused himself.

"Stop treating me like I'm a child" Niall snapped.

"Stop acting like one, then" Liam responded mildly. He drew up a chair started to unpack the large bag he had with him. "Fancy some FIFA?"

 The days passed slowly but eventually Niall was considered well enough to be discharged. He groaned quietly when he realised it was just in time for the tour to begin its second stage. The plus side was that Taylor and Aoife would soon be back from from their Honeymoon. Niall had never been separated from his daughter before and he had found the last three weeks very difficult. At least he had managed to keep his hospitalisation out of the media which meant that Aoife also remained ignorant of the fact. She'd only have worried and he didn't went to ruin any aspect of her newly married life.

Niall was neatly folding clothes and placing them in his suitcase. He scanned his room to make sure he hadn't forgotten anything. Song notes! He pulled open the drawer of his bedside cabinet and pulled out the thick book where he had been writing down the lyrics for the songs he had recently been working on. . As he went to close the drawer his eyes caught the wrapping paper that had once enclosed the locket that some mysterious sender had sent Aoife. He'd hung on to it hoping to solve the mystery but nothing had come to mind yet.  The same handwriting that was on the wrapping paper was also on the note accompanying  the beautiful flowers that had been left on Caoimhe's grave. Niall sat down on his bed and put both writing samples side by side. Yes, they definitely  were the same. He rubbed his forehead tiredly. It made no sense at all. The locket,  had been wildly expensive but in excellent taste. Who would send such a gift anonymously?  The flowers for Caoimhe were equally stunning, all of them her favorites. It all spoke clearly of someone who knew them and felt comfortable making these gestures but.............."

"Nialler? You there?" Liam yelled from downstairs. "Come on, mate. Tay and Aoife have just pulled up outside". Niall instantly threw down the note and the wrappings and raced downstairs, eager to hug his tiny daughter. He'd missed her so much.