YOU!

Niall pushed his plate away and rubbed his stomach contentedly. His Ma was the best cook he knew and nobody made Irish Stew as well as she did.

"Thanks Ma, that was sic". Niall smiled up at his mother as she removed the empty plate. He stretched his arms above his head then yawned. "Think I might go take a quick nap, if that's OK" he asked her.

"Off you go, son" Maura waved her hand towards the door. Niall stood up and  after hugging his tiny mother, headed upstairs to his room. He had been released from hospital a few days previously and was still prone to feeling very tired.He pulled on his headphones and lay down across his bed, letting the music totally relax him. In minutes he was fast asleep, a slight smile on his lips. Maura quietly opened the door to his room and stood looking down at her youngest son. Brushing his blond hair off his forehead, she gently removed the headphones and pulled his duvet over him, before pressing a soft kiss to his cheek. and creeping slowly out of the room. She was so happy to have her baby home.

"Maura, it's so wonderful to see you again" Maura stood back and let her old school friend, Niamh, into the house .They had been friends since the both attended the same Convent school.They had kept in touch despite having very different lives, and took every opportunity to keep it that way. Maura hugged her friend then turned to the young woman who had been quietly waiting to be noticed. "Maura, this is my little niece, Qwee".  Maura beamed at the pretty young girl before her. She was so petite, a little doll of a girl and a real beauty.

" Come in, come in, and we'll catch up. Sit yourselves down and make yourselves at home." Maura hurried from the room to make the tea.

Maura put the tea tray down on the coffee table and when she had served everyone, the three women joined in conversation, catching up with recent events in each others lives.

"Maura, have you and Chris seen the two boys lately?" Niamh asked ."I heard about Niall. How is the poor boy?"

"Greg and Denise are busy . Theo keeps them busy, he's into everything these days. And Niall is doing better, I think. Actually, he's asleep upstairs. He was in hospital recently but he was discharged a few days ago and he's come to stay with me. Tells me he needs fattening up. And that he does. He's so thin. All that racing around for years then getting ill, it's taken quite a toll on him. He's no color in his cheeks and I swear I can count his ribs. I'm glad to have him home, to be honest"

"Don't worry,  Maura. You'll soon have him looking and feeling much better soon" . Maura gave them both a fleeting smile. She certainly hoped so, Niall worried her so much. It wasn't just that he was ill, it was walls that he had built around himself.He still was her own sweet boy but he had become so reserved and had spent most of his time since he got home, shut up in his room, 'resting' as he said.

"Now, how about you ladies? What's been happening in your lives?" Maura asked, pulling herself from her worries over her son.

"Well, Padraic  has decided to he wants to return here to Ireland permanently. He'd so tired of getting sent here, there and everywhere every ten minutes. We're actually looking for a home here in Mullingar, or at least fairly near here. We viewed the old O'Donnal place. It'll need a bit of work but it's perfect otherwise. And my niece, here, is going to be staying with us for a time. She's looking to settle back here in Ireland herself and she likes Mullingar.

"It's a good place to settle. I'm hoping that Niall will get a home here himself. He has his home in London and it's a grand enough place but I know he misses Ireland. And Greg would be happier having his brother closer."Maura said wistfully. She was just about to pour more tea for her visitors when the sound of yelling came from upstairs. Placing the teapot down with a crash, she raced out of the room and up the stairs.

"Niall, wake up, wake up" She wrapped her arms around her son who was sat bolt upright in the bed, a look of terror in his eyes. "You're dreaming". Niall blinked a few times and turned to look into his mother's face. "You had a bad dream".

"M'sorry, Ma. Had a bit of a nightmare. I'm  fine, it was just a dream" Niall looked shamefaced. 

"You all right now? " She asked and Niall nodded , giving her a small smile. "Wash your face and come downstairs. Remember Niamh? She's downstairs with her niece. Now, you'll like her. A very pretty girl and just the right age". With that Maura left the room. Niall slowly got off the bed and went into the bathroom to wash his face and comb his hair. Honestly, he hoped his Ma wasn't going to try matchmaking. He slowly made his way downstairs and into his Ma's comfortable sitting room.

"Auntie Niamh, it's great to see you" He gave her a hug then turned to face the young girl who had stood up when he'd entered. He reached out his hand to shake hers and....

YOU! They both said simultaneously.

"You know each other?" Maura asked, puzzled by the reaction of the two young people.

"Yeah, Caoimhe was one of my nurses at the hospital" Niall said "My favorite nurse, to be exact."

Maura sat down suddenly.

A/N Caoimhe is pronounced Qwee Vah