Strands Of Hope

"Come on, let's get out of these fancy dresses.It makes me feel hot" Harry led the way to to room where they had to gown up before they could visit Niall. . Harry quickly ripped off the face mask and gloves, wiggling his fingers in relief as the cool air hit his hands. Turning, he unfastened the ties at the back of Liam's gown.

"Thanks, Hazz" Liam said gratefully "I'll be glad when we don't need to do this every time we see Ni. I mean, I know we have to right now because he's so sick but ..." Liam stopped himself as he noticed something. "Lou? Aren't you suppose to wear those hats over your head. You forgot" Liam's tone was chiding

"I am" Louis was indignant and put his hand up to touch his head, his fingers meeting his own soft hair. "I did have one on. I must have  played with my hair and pulled it  off while I was sleeping" He pulled off his face mask as he spoke.

"You look better than you did yesterday" Harry commented. "you needed some decent sleep"

"Let's go sit outside Niall's room. Maybe we can catch the doctor and find out how Ni is doing. " liam opened the door and they all went back to the waiting area, collapsing on the hard plastic seats, their eyes trained on the closed door of Niall's room.

Dr Peters straightened up from examining Niall and looked at the nurse who had been assisting him. "I'll order the scans that need to be done then I can consult with Mr Taylor. It really is in God's hands at the moment. He's a fighter though" he looked down at the frail young man in the bed  and picked up his small hand again. He smiled slightly as he removed a few strands of brown hair that had got wrapped around Niall's fingers."It's funny how the smallest of  things can give you hope, isn't it" he murmured. "Right" he said, suddenly brisk and professional once more " "I'll set things in motion"

"Doc?" Louis stood up quickly and walked towards the doctor who had just emerged from Niall's room "How's Ni? Is he going to be OK?"

"Mr...ah....?"

"Louis. I'm Louis"

"Louis, then. The honest answer is that I really don't know. I do know that your friend is a fighter but he's got quite a battle on his hands though. If you asked me that question before I had examined him, I think I would have said his chances were non existent but now...."

"Now? What are they now?" Louis spoke anxiously, wanting to know what had turned the tide. The doctor smiled 

"Hold out your hand, Louis" Louis frowned but did as he was asked. The doctor carefully held  the few strands of hair he had removed from Niall's fingers and dropped them into the palm of  Louis outstretched hand. Louis stared blankly at the hair before raising puzzled eyes to the doctor , who smiled gently back at him.

"I believe you slept in Niall's room last night?" Louis nodded once "You fell asleep with your head on the bed?" Louis nodded again, even more mystified. "While you were sleeping, I believe Niall was somehow aware of you and reacted to your presence."

He stroked my hair!" Louis whisper shouted "I felt someone stroke my hair. But I thought it was a dream" he paused shocked '' it was real!"

"Niall is still a very sick young man but he's  with us and this shows he's at least partly aware of his surroundings. It's a small sign but it's encouraging. Now, there is absolutely nothing you can do here now. I suggest you all go and get some decent rest. Come back tomorrow"

"But.........."

"No buts , Louis. You all need rest and you won't be able to see Niall again today. If there is any reason for you to come back, you'll be called. " He patted Louis shoulder and, nodding to the other two young men, left to arrange the scans Niall needed.

Paul Taylor and Dr Peters studied the scans carefully, literally going over every square centimetre with a magnifying glass. Paul hummed quietly to himself as checked and rechecked the results. "Thoughts?" he asked his colleague quietly

"The Chemo has done it's job so things are good from that aspect. Our main problem is that because we used such an aggressive approach, the side effects have been extremely hard on his body. He wasn't exactly robust to begin with. There looks like there has been  more damage to his stomach due to the severe vomiting. Obviously his white cell count is very low, he's malnourished  and dehydrated despite the intravenous feeding and fluids. There are a few bed sores started but the nursing staff are on that already. To be honest,he's not really in the best place right now but he has shown signs of awareness. And he's a fighter, that one ." Dr Peters, sat on the edge of Paul's desk as he spoke.

"Suggestions, then" Paul asked as he pushed his chair back and turned to face Dr Peters " Is there a chance?"

"Blood transfusions. Those are vital now. That will get the blood count sorted. He's being given oxygen although his chest is still clear. Carry on the intravenous feeding and fluids .Basically, the normal treatment." Dr Peters thought for a moment before continuing. "Paul, I'd like to go straight ahead with the Stem Cell Transplant. Personally, I don't believe waiting any longer is going to be more beneficial to our patient" he looked at Paul .

"I'd rather hold out a few days, Steve"  Paul was resultant.

"Paul, it's now or never". 

"OK, let's go for it" Paul  rubbed his fingers between his forehead as he spoke  " and pray we've got it right. "

"The power of Prayer" Dr Peters thought as he left Paul's office. He grinned to himself when he thought of what he'd found in Niall's hand...... the power of Hair! Just a few strands of hair, just a few strands of hope.

It suddenly became all action. Niall had been moved to yet another room, this one was blank, white and very sterile , both in fact and appearance.There was no window to the outside world, just one viewing window into the room itself. Niall was gently placed on a bed that was centred in the middle of the room with various items of medical equipment arranged around it.His body seemed like it had tubes and wires attached to every part of it as various fluids dripped into his body. Niall remained oblivious to everything happening around him, as dials were checked and tubes adjusted.. Eventually the only sounds were the beeping of the heart monitor and the rhythmic click of some of the machines monitoring his various bodily functions.

Dr Peters stood and looked in through the viewing window. "Fight, Niall, fight for all your worth" he murmured as he turned away. Now it was up to his young patient and whatever Devine being held Niall's life in His hands.