The Locket

"Sounding really great guys" Mandy their vocal coach said cheerfully "The fans are going to adore this and I am sure you'll end up with a whole new generation of fans into the bargain." Louis laughed at that and rolled his eyes at the woman's enthusiasm. This tour was probably going to be just a one off.

"I'm going to take a nap" Niall told the boys after he'd put his guitar away." I'm a bit tired" Louis looked at him in concern. Niall looked exhausted yet they had only been rehearsing for a few hours.

"Ok, mate" Liam said casually, his back turned to Niall. Liam caught Louis gaze and made a slight jerk of his head. Both men waited until Niall had left for the dressing room then waited in silence until Harry entered the room.

"Where's the little Irish guy ?" Harry asked immediately noticing there was only Liam and Louis in the room.

"Tired. Gone to rest" Louis said "Look, do you lads think Ni is all right? He's so tired and seems, I dunno, kinda detached from everything. Like he's somehow not really here"

"I know what you mean" Harry sat down on the couch and crossed his legs as he leant back " Maybe it's just all the arranging  of the wedding   along with  preparation for this tour. I mean, he seems OK apart from that"

"Yeah,  you're probably  right. He's bound to be tired with all that. He wants everything perfect for Tay and Aoife. He's been doing his best to make sure Aoife has the day of her dreams though I know he's struggling with the fact his baby isn't a baby any more. I wish he'd find someone to love for himself. He's been alone far too long." Liam said reflectively. He totally understood that Niall had loved Caoimhe deeply but wished he'd let her go and allow himself to move forward.

"Niall, what can I do for you?" James Caldwell asked pleasantly as he surveyed his patient "You weren't scheduled for a checkup until the end of the year. Is everything alright?"

"Yeah, I....The band is going on a reunion tour next month. Loads of rehearsals and stuff and I'm just run down, a bit tired" Niall said quietly, fidgeting with his fingers as he spoke.

"OK, that's understandable.Let's just give you the once over". James rang his nurse who came and escorted Niall into the examination room where she left Niall to undress. Niall sat on the edge of the examination couch, shivering as he was just in his boxers. A tap on the door heralded the arrival of the Consultant, with the nurse in attendance. " OK Niall, you lay down for me and we'll get started".

"Severe anaemia" James said

"What?"

"Severe anaemia."  That's why you are so exhausted" James said quietly. "You are underweight, you admit you don't eat properly and that in itself, may have  caused you to become very anaemic. Any stomach trouble?"

"That's all? The MS isn't getting worse?" Niall stared at James, totally ignoring the question about his stomach.  "I thought...."

"No, the new medication is working perfectly. Your MS is still in remission. Could be that  your eating habits are part of the problem. But you didn't answer, any stomach problems?" Niall shrugged and James sighed. He'd been warned by Paul Taylor that Niall could be very invasive when asked questions he didn't want to answer.  James tried again "Niall?" Again a shrug.  "OK, I'm scheduling you for an endoscopy just so we can check everything is fine there"

"No!" Niall's voice was just a shade too loud which made alarm bells ring in James' head. "No" Niall said more quietly. "My stomach is fine".

"Then you won't be worried about having the test done, just to reassure me then" James countered.

"Fine" Niall was resigned. "But after we get the tour started, please"

"I'll allow you to leave it  until then , Niall, but no longer" James said firmly. "I'll arrange it with Management , shall I?" Niall nodded then stood. He shook hands briefly with James and hurried out, before James could change his mind. Why would they never leave him alone? He rubbed his hand gently over his stomach. It was sore but nothing to worry about, was it?

Aoife stared at the package in her hand. It had arrived by special courier just minutes ago. It was addressed very clearly to her yet there was no indication on the small box who had sent it. She frowned , wondering if she should open in up. Finally making up her mine, she carefully started to unwrap it revealing a small jewellers box . Holding her breath, she lifted the lid and peeked inside. Her breath blew gently out as she hesitantly touched the contents with her index finger. It was beautiful, absolutely beautiful. Aoife carefully lifted out the large victorian locket. It was obviously gold and had an intricate design with her initial 'A' picked out in tiny diamonds. She opened it slowly and there, in the space meant for a picture, she was astonished to find there was one already in place, one she had never seen before . It was of her Da and Ma. She studied it carefully. They looked so happy and it looked like they had been oblivious to having been photographed. She was so wrapped up in looking at the contents of the locket that she shrieked when she heard her Da's voice behind her. "Aoife? Pumpkin?"

"Da, you made me jump" she giggled nervously.

"What'ya got there?" Niall asked, seeing the gold locket in her hand. She passed it over to him  and watched as he examined it carefully. "It's beautiful." He flipped it open and stared down at the enclosed photograph, shock on his face. It was one he had never seen before."Where did you get this?" he asked quietly, raising his eyes to meet Aoife's  gaze.

"I don't know. I thought it might be from you." Aoife said but Niall shook his head in denial . "It arrived by special courier about tens minutes ago". Aoife bent down and picked up the box and wrappings from where she had dropped them on the floor. "Uncle Liam maybe? Or Uncle Harry or Louis?" she suggested but Niall still shook his head. The lads would have told him if they were sending Aoife a gift like that. Whoever it was from, money was obviously no object. The locket was heavy,  real gold and those diamonds were very real. And the photograph inside? Who had taken it? If it had been one of the lads they would have given Niall a copy of it years ago. Niall gave the locket back to Aoife then took the wrappings from her hand. Maybe they held  a clue.