Snow Day

In commemoration of the huge blizzard that just came through here (nearly 3 feet where I live), I wrote a little Snow Day one shot. It's not my best in my opinion but it's still cute! Thanks for reading! :)

P.S. My apologies in advance for the awful pun at the end...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wake up to Simon gently shaking my shoulder.

"Baz, sweetie! Baz!" Simon whisper screams in my ear. I rub my face and open my eyes. He's hovering over me like an excited child.

"Yes, love?" My voice comes out croaky and cracked.

"Well, first of all..." Simon smashes our lips together in a rough but extremely pleasant way. "Good morning, darling!"

I chuckle slightly and answer him, "Good morning, Sweetie. Tell me, why might I be awake at..." I stop and look at the clock. "7:15 in the morning on a Saturday?"

Simon pulls at my shoulder and flips me over. He eagerly points to the window with an enthusiastic, "Look!"

I can see now that there's fat snowflakes fluttering around in the sky and it appears that there are already a few inches of the stuff lying on the ground. Simon has always loved snow. I try to be excited for his sake but this early in the morning, it's not easy.

"Oh! Well that's cool... I'm happy for you, love," I mumble the last part as I close my eyes again and pull Simon back down to the mattress to cuddle close to him.

"Fine. You can sleep for a little while longer but you have to promise me that you'll come play with me in the snow later. Deal?" He shoves his hand towards me.

As all I want is to go back to sleep, I place my hand in his and shake.

"Deal."

A few hours later, when I wake up again, Simon isn't in bed anymore. Just as I start to get up to see what kind of mischief he's gotten himself in to this time, Si walks in the room with a huge tray of pancakes, syrup, bacon, and two huge mugs full of tea. He's edging himself along very carefully so he doesn't spill anything. His face is screwed up in concentration. I giggle. Quickly, I stand up and take the tray from him and place it on the desk.

"Hey, I was getting there!" Simon snaps indignantly.

"I know you were. I just would have hated to see this beautiful breakfast that you've made go to waste because you tripped over your own foot or something, so..." I speak smugly to make him smile.

"Fair enough." He pulls me in to his arms and kisses me softly. When we pull away, I rest my sleepy head on his shoulder and mumble, "Thanks for breakfast, love."

After eating breakfast in bed together (the pancakes were undercooked and the bacon was burnt to a crisp but I complimented Simon's cooking incessantly anyway so as not to hurt his feelings), I went to put the dishes in the kitchen and then made my way back to the bedroom. Before plopping back down in bed, I take a look out of the window. "Crowley, there must be a good six inches out there already... I suppose you want to go out and play then?"

Simon has a cheeky grin on his face. "Well... yeah, I do. At some point. But for now, come here." He sticks out his hand for me to grab. When I do, he yanks me down to the bed and in to his arms. We lye there together for a while, occasionally kissing, but mostly just cuddling and gazing out at the snow. I have to admit, it is quite beautiful. I suppose I see what all the fuss is about. When we both can't lye still any longer, Simon gives me one last peck on the cheek before he gets up and starts to get all geared up to go outside. I sit up in bed and watch him get dressed. When he's finished, he starts to get my snow clothes out of the wardrobe. I stand up and walk over to him.

"I'm a big boy, I think I can do this, you know." I chuckle gently.

The first thing that Simon does when he gets outside is flop down on the ground and make a snow angel (of course he doesn't have to move his arms because he literally HAS wings already).

"Come on, Baz! I know you want to!"

He's not wrong. Even I have the urge to play in the snow sometimes. I get down on the ground and quickly make a snow angel. When I get up again, I've noticed that Simon isn't there anymore.

"...Si?" I call. No answer.

"Simon! Where'd you go?" I stand in defeat for a few moments. I start to turn around the corner of the building, thinking he just wandered off. As soon as I turn the corner, my nose is hit with a blast of cold and there's snow dribbling down my front. I look up to see Simon with his hands crossed behind his back looking very smug. We lock eyes for a few moments. He's trying so hard not to smile. I decide to make the first move.

"You. Are." His eyes grow larger. "So. DEAD, SNOW!" He blasts off in the opposite direction and I chase after him, forming a snowball as I go. I can hear Si laughing and screaming as I run. I throw the snowball and it hits him right in the back of the head. We run in circles throwing snowballs at each other for a few minutes until I see Simon hunched over with his hands on his knees. I trudge over to him, taking heaving breaths. I place my hand on the small of his back and rub back and forth.

"You okay, love?" I ask.

"Yeah, yeah..." He says through deep breaths. "I'm just... painfully out of shape..." We both chuckle.

"Ready to go in, then?" I say as he stands up.

"Not quite. Let's make a snowman or something."

I follow at his heals as he begins to roll a huge ball of snow, obviously for the bottom of his snowman. I smirk.

"I have a better idea." Simon turns quickly to look at me.

"Mm?" He says sweetly.

Here's where I run and tackle Si from the waist. We both land on the fluffy snow and sink in slightly.

"What was that for?"

"Shh," I whisper. "Just let it happen." I feel him sink into my grasp.

I lye with my head on his chest until it gets dark outside. After a while, Simon pipes up, "Hey, Baz?"

"Yes, love?"

"I'm positively frozen."

I stand up and pull Simon up by his gloved hands.

"Come on, I'll make you some tea." I take one of Simon's hands and swing them as we walk back in to the house.

As we sit on the couch, sipping our tea, hand in hand, I can't help but say,

"I'm so glad that everyday of my life gets to be a Snow day."